Technics RS-745U Reel to Reel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tag

I am looking for a Technics Model Number (RS-745U) 4-Channel Quad Reel to Reel Tape Deck. Where could I locate this Model? I will
Describe it a little better. It has a 3 motor Transport with Feather touch control’s. The RCA & Power Cord are on the Left Side Bottom. The Reel to Reel tape Deck is mounted in a Dark Walnut Wooden Cabinet. It was Released in 1973. And you can use up to 10” Reel’s. It was Released Worldwide also. I’d be willing to pay up to $500.00 for it. I know it is Remote Controled also it is Wired Remote. I have the Remote Control. The RS-677US cassette Tape Deck uses the same identical remote.
Does anyone know where to start to locate that Reel to Reel?

Yahoo Japan Auctions, best viewed with Chrome browser as it translates the Japanese for you. As the Japanese don't usually deal with non-Japanese, you will need a bidding proxy like Buyee, my favourite, or Jauce. Jauce costs a percentage, where Buyee is flat rate. Both get deals or coupons on occasion. I don't know about Jauce, but Buyee allows me to pay directly from my bank account with Paypal as well as North American credit cards. The Japanese banking system is designed to keep business in Japan and foreign credit cards and bank cards are never accepted.

As to your particular model, it will take patience and time to find one. I typically see the lesser Technics models with mechanical controls, but surprises can happen. You "should" invest in a step down transformer as they are on 100 volts, not 120. My tech told me not to worry, I ignored him.😋 Also check that it is a 60Hz model, not 50Hz. Japan uses both still. It may well be 50/60Hz, in which you can ignore the last bit.

If you go to Buyee webpage and sign up, you can buy through their proxy and they will bid on your behalf. For some reason the Japanese do not deal directly with foreigners. Their financial system does not seem to make it easy for them. You need a proxy service like the link I gave above and use myself happily. They will charge you in your currency for the winning auction and give you notice when it is time to pay for shipping from their offices to you with options for various shipping methods and extra packing. If you use Chrome, you can read the auction in english through Google Translate. Ask any questions as you need to, I am happy to help.

Yahoo Japan Auctions, best viewed with Chrome browser as it translates the Japanese for you. As the Japanese don't usually deal with non-Japanese, you will need a bidding proxy like Buyee, my favourite, or Jauce. Jauce costs a percentage, where Buyee is flat rate. Both get deals or coupons on occasion. I don't know about Jauce, but Buyee allows me to pay directly from my bank account with Paypal as well as North American credit cards. The Japanese banking system is designed to keep business in Japan and foreign credit cards and bank cards are never accepted.

As to your particular model, it will take patience and time to find one. I typically see the lesser Technics models with mechanical controls, but surprises can happen. You "should" invest in a step down transformer as they are on 100 volts, not 120. My tech told me not to worry, I ignored him.😋 Also check that it is a 60Hz model, not 50Hz. Japan uses both still. It may well be 50/60Hz, in which you can ignore the last bit.
Nice featured R2R, yes translation is a must, looks a little rough, just make sure it doesn't come from the Fukushima area:cool:

Crap! I didn't think to look closer. It is a real fixer upper. The pinch roller is at an odd angle. I hope it is just a screw bent that can be replaced. On a second look, the pinch roller may be intended to be that way and tilt into place when play is activated. It seems to come from Kanagawa Prefecture, not Fukushima ;). It seems to be corroded with salty sea air as many vintage Japanese electronics are. That can be dealt with, but might be a real pain in the arse. The seller seems to think it is for 50 hertz regions but the back seems to list both 50 and 60 hertz. I wonder if the Japanese sticker means to change frequency you need a different capstan that may not be present. In the US you will need 60 hertz or the tape speed will be off. I would find the price high for a fixer upper, but you may feel differently. It does seem to be an uncommon model after all. Also, being Japanese, you will need a step down transformer as the US is on 120 volts. My tech tells me not to worry but I do and use one myself, just in case. About half of my quad gear is Japanese market stuff and I enjoy it a lot.

I am looking for a Technics Model Number (RS-745U) 4-Channel Quad Reel to Reel Tape Deck. Where could I locate this Model? I will
Describe it a little better. It has a 3 motor Transport with Feather touch control’s. The RCA & Power Cord are on the Left Side Bottom. The Reel to Reel tape Deck is mounted in a Dark Walnut Wooden Cabinet. It was Released in 1973. And you can use up to 10” Reel’s. It was Released Worldwide also. I’d be willing to pay up to $500.00 for it. I know it is Remote Controled also it is Wired Remote. I have the Remote Control. The RS-677US cassette Tape Deck uses the same identical remote.
Does anyone know where to start to locate that Reel to Reel?

I got a Question about the Technics RS-745U Reel to Reel Tape Deck!! I found one in Japan but it needs work done on it. It is 100 Volt’s. But I took a Technics RS-715US apart for Parts. If I decide to go forward on the Deal!! Would I just have to change just the Power Transformer? I just like 4-Channel Equipment.

Ronald

I doubt they use the same transformer. I use a step down transformer that was really cheap for the use I get from it. My tech says to just plug it into the wall, I prefer to be more cautious as I had a Victor turntable die when I did that. It may not have been the cause of failure but I feel jinxed. Power Bright Japan to US transformers.

I need some help. I bought a Mint Technics RS-715US Reel to Reel & I Reconditioned it. Here is the Trouble who can make a wooden cabinet for it? The Original Cabinet the Wood on it is chipped. It’s got
3 pieces of wood with metal trim pieces around it. The Reel to Reel Deck slides into the Cabinet. It is Glewed together & the the Deck slides into the Wooden Case. Who can make one for me out of Real Wood not Particale Wood?

I got a Question for People I wanted to ask before I stuck my head into Purchasing that Technics RS-745U. I took Apart a Technics RS-714US because of a bad Circuit but I got a Good Power Transformer
& I’m sure it’s the same as the RS-745U. Is that all you would need to Switch out? I got a good Pinch Roller & that other Rusty Part & the 3 Motors I have are Mint Condition. I’m sure a Lot of the Parts from the RS-715US interchange they were both built the same year. So is the Transformer the only thing to have it 120 Volts?

It isn't as important to have the 120 volt input(Primary winding) as the outputs of the transformer(Secondary windings). Without the schematics in front of me, I can not inform you any better. As to rusty parts, I would try cleaning them first before scrapping another deck for parts. Unfortunately Japan is a nation of islands on saltwater oceans. That causes havoc for metal and in my experience it also can cause strange molds like on many of the records I have bought from Japan. Be aware that the Japanes tend to be heavy smokers too and their tobacco has a strange smell when it goes stale, or at least it is strange in contrast to North American tobacco smells. I am wary of changing the internal transformer. I have an SH3434 scope without a tranny and a working SH3433. I see different part numbers but without a schematic of both, I will not try swapping them and creating two dead scopes. It is much better to use an outboard stepdown transformer than tomuck about inside devices. I use a 500 watt tranny and plug in a power bar for more outlets. See my post above for an example. I don't use more than two or three devices at a time. I currently have QS decoders, scope, 8 track decks and demodulators from Japan (more crap in storage) and have never had the tranny overheat or trip the fuse in 6 years or more. One more thing, make sure the deck you are looking at is 60 cycles. If it is 50 cycles, you can not use it in the US. Japan has 2 frequency areas, which I believe is the only country to do that. It can mean the power supply is different or it can mean the motors and pulleys are different sizes (run at different speeds) and are not interchangeable.

Before I step out & Purchase it. I have a Chance to Purchase a Technics RS-741US in Brazil, South America that is in Mint Condition & they have the Original OEM Manual. It has a Switch it back for the Voltage. I think it’s better to go that way what do you think? Now on the Scope I’m looking for a Mint Front Pannel & the Wooden Case. I’ve been looking for those 2 parts. Thank’s for the Advise I won’t buy the one from Japan now.

If you go for the South American one, it will be 120 volt, 60 cycle already. I suggest using Google Translate or find a Brazilian friend to do the negotiating. I also suggest asking all your questions in the first email rather than a lot of back and forth. Sellers that might not want to ship will be put at ease if you are almost sickly sweet and nice/polite and make sure to say you are VERY open to paying any appropriate shipping costs. If they have an equivalent to UPS Stores that can do professional packing, opt for that cost too. Nothing like getting a treasure only to find that lousy packing broke your reel tables, head block or transport mechanism. That particular site is like Craigslist in that they usually expect someone local to come and buy it and pick it up. That said, a little saccharine and some Benjamins can go a long way to getting your treasure. Whatever you do, DO NOT SEND CASH! Always use electronic payments like Paypal or Western Union or get an INTERNATIONAL money order from your bank or Post Office or even Western Union. One other thing, if translate doesn't really help, tell them you speak english and see if they can find a friend or family to translate for you. Brazil also speaks english, my sister in law is from there. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Back