HiRez Poll TEMPLE OF THE DOG - TEMPLE OF THE DOG [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Temple of the Dog - TEMPLE OF THE DOG

• Total voters
I've always liked this album and thought it was pretty cool to have it mixed in surround, which I didn't think was too bad.... And I quite liked the quirky-ness of the Hunger Strike mix...

However I just decided to swap the fronts and rears and man to me - it sounds quite of lot better!!!! Because you have Chris Cornell's vocals isolated in the centre you get a nice triangle effect and when EV's vocals come in (now from the front) the whole thing just sounds better balanced to me... The sub channel is mixed way too loud though?! :eek: I like things loud but this is overkill?! :phones

Hunger Strike wavs.png
original

I'd be interested to see what anyone else thinks if they can give it a try?

Curious what your setup is and what your room is like (sealed or open, treatments, etc)
It's my living room, so it's open to the rest of the house. No treatments. Ed's voice images fine in the rears, I just don't like the creative choice. I love discrete content, but I just feel both voices in the front somehow would have just been a better choice. I really like most of the rest of the album in surround, tho I need to listen more for sure.

Finally broke down after many almost buys and got this (one of the last box sets I wanted but didn't have ) not cheap, but was new! Love the music and am more than happy with the mix and fidelity. Had the digital file loaned by one of our generous members so have been able to hear and enjoy it but am glad to have the blu-ray, love to have the physical to hold. I give it a purple 9.

We'll, you have the testimony of some here, saying it's fine.
You're entitled to imagine it sucks though.
I'm sure that on an unbalanced system it does...
Wow. You have the testimony of some here, saying it's problematic.
Since one vocal comes from two speakers but the other vocal only comes from one, you would actually have to set your system up in an unbalanced way to overcome that decision.

Wow. You have the testimony of some here, saying it's problematic.
Since one vocal comes from two speakers but the other vocal only comes from one, you would actually have to set your system up in an unbalanced way to overcome that decision.
WOW!!! Except, NOT! The engineer had 6 channels for reference, friend. He didn't necessarily put the same level of Eddie Vedder in channels 5 & 6 as he did Chris Cornell in channel 3. Probably close to 1/2. Or whatever ratio sounds good at specs. If your system is calibrated even remotely close to specs, you'll hear the voices in balance.
At worst, it was a risky decision for the engineer, because many listeners don't have their systems calibrated. But, for those who do, many of whom have weighed in on this mix, it's a very rewarding experience.

Last edited:
Love it when you can really hear & feel the drums. Go back to the basics. Get the drums & bass prominent and build from there. IMHO too often so much gets thrown in that drums & bass get lost in the mix.
This one gives me the great drum & bass foundation.
I enjoy different discreet mixing styles and don't go in with preconceptions. I take it as it comes.
Call this one a wonderful adventurous mix.
"Reach Down" is incredible. It's got everything thrown in. Amazing balance on my system.
I have to take off 1 point for volume. It's just too loud for me.

Really, some of you voted less than 10, wow. Lets get together and rethink this. I am currently listening at 96.5db via my pressure meter and I am in heaven.
There's barely any discrete elements in rears, thus it can never be a 10 for a surround mix for me. I have these tracks open now in audacity. Tell me what is discrete on say hell to heaven?

Last edited:
There's barely any discrete elements in rears, thus it can never be a 10 for a surround mix for me. I have these tracks open now in audacity. Tell me what is discrete on say hell to heaven?
Oh sorry, I don’t engage or defend myself on QQ, I just try to remain happy with my hobby.

It's not the kind of surround mix where you can isolate channels and eliminate instruments - but when you listen to all six channels as intended, there are elements that appear much louder in the rears even if they aren't completely detached from the fronts (I like @skherbeck's term for it - "discrete emphasis"). It's not my favorite mixing style either.

In "Say Hello To Heaven", I'd say Eddie Vedder's backing vocals during the chorus are primarily located in the rears.

Back