DIGITAL Ten Years After - A space in Time (2012 4.1 Release!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmyOfQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Am I the first to notice that the front and back are swapped? Guess I'm gonna have to fix this one now...

Am I the first to notice that the front and back are swapped? Guess I'm gonna have to fix this one now...

NO WAY..?!? I gave it a quick spin last night and I thought it a bit disconcerting to have all the lead vocals in the rear channels.. but I eventually got used to it and thought "meh, quirky old quad mix!".. I never thought for a moment the channels were all to cock..!!!

Soooo...in the end..
are the channels swapped?

I've never heard the original SQ but it appears from what Quadzilla has said that it was that way all along.

Whether the mix on the reel (was it one of the underground "Robin" reels? or whatever they were!?) was the same (i.e. rear channels with lead vocals etc and other instruments in the front pair) and/or the original mix was created intentionally that way (possible but seems unlikely) I don't know either.

there's no information in the new LP/DVD package about this either, so failing someone on here in the industry (e.g. Neil) contacting EMI and getting an answer, I guess we'll never know for sure..?!?

It's been a while since I've played the SQ, or listened to a dts-cd of the Q8, but I'm fairly confident that all versions I've ever heard of this mix up until this point had the vocals in the front.

Whether the mix on the reel (was it one of the underground "Robin" reels? or whatever they were!?) was the same (i.e. rear channels with lead vocals etc and other instruments in the front pair) and/or the original mix was created intentionally that way (possible but seems unlikely) I don't know either.

Well, the idea of having vocals in the rear is far from new, and has been used before, such as on BJH's 'Once Again'. And why should vocals be front only? it's called creative mixing

Well, I CAN confirm that the vocals and drums are in the Front in the conversion that I have , at least in the 1st song (yes, the guitars are in the rears)...

wow, what a royal screw up if the new release is "backwards"...:mad:@:

Well, the idea of having vocals in the rear is far from new, and has been used before, such as on BJH's 'Once Again'. And why should vocals be front only? it's called creative mixing

I've heard enough quad (including the BJH) to know that sometimes the people remixing this stuff back in the day did get "creative" and shove lead vox in the rears.. but in this instance somehow it just didn't sound "right".

I guess that's confirmed now by guys here saying their SQ, Q8 & conversions all present the lead vocals up front.

just another "Mew-tilation", I spose..!?

shame I had to fork out £33 for a set with an LP I didn't want, with a screwed up quad mix (on a lossy DVD-V) that I could have got online for FREE (no doubt in lossless) that has its channels the right way round.

so much for supporting the music industry in the hope of keeping these kinds of releases going.

it's just as well EMI are being bought out. maybe in future they'll get their act together.

it's pretty shameful when enthusiasts and "amateurs" do a better job than the so-called "professionals".

EMI has always been a bunch of hacks. Side 2 of the Magical Mystery Tour LP in electronic stereo, even on the Mobile Fidelity LP and Beatles Box issues. The Beatles Capitol Albums CD box with one album in Stereo twice on the same disc, rather than once in stereo and once in mono. Should I continue with their boneheadedness?

For all their sakes, I hope that they've been high or drunk. I fear that they have just had repeated bouts of extreme incompetence.

just another "Mew-tilation", ...EMI are being bought out. maybe in future they'll get their act together.

Guess I'll wait until they offer a corrected version. Dear EMI, I have no want to purchase defective items. Please remedy this situation post-haste. Thank you.

Guess I'll wait until they offer a corrected version. Dear EMI, I have no want to purchase defective items. Please remedy this situation post-haste. Thank you.

I'm tempted to go further and write them a strongly worded letter expressing my disquiet.. I'm SO disappointed.

I schlepped all the way into town in my lunch break to pick this thing up - at an inflated price..

Why!?

..so I wouldn't have to trek to the Post Office and queue up for ages like a wally to collect the parcel that wouldn't fit through my post box if I bought it from amazon!

GRR..!!

it seemed the lesser of two evils to just go and buy it, as i could use the opportunity to check out what else the store had surround-wise (nothing as it turned out!)..

..and why wouldn't it fit through my post box!?

..because it's stupidly got a frickin great big walloping LP in it -- that I don't want or need..!!!

LIVID :mad:

I'm tempted to go further and write them a strongly worded letter expressing my disquiet.. I'm SO disappointed.

I schlepped all the way into town in my lunch break to pick this thing up - at an inflated price..

Why!?

..so I wouldn't have to trek to the Post Office and queue up for ages like a wally to collect the parcel that wouldn't fit through my post box if I bought it from amazon!

GRR..!!

it seemed the lesser of two evils to just go and buy it, as i could use the opportunity to check out what else the store had surround-wise (nothing as it turned out!)..

..and why wouldn't it fit through my post box!?

..because it's stupidly got a frickin great big walloping LP in it -- that I don't want or need..!!!

LIVID :mad:

Totally agree with you.. I'd be freakin' mad too!!!
and, curiously:
ALL of my yamazon.co.uck are shipped thru COURIER (MRW)
(dang , sucks, going to the Post Office to pick it up!)

EMI has always been a bunch of hacks. Side 2 of the Magical Mystery Tour LP in electronic stereo, even on the Mobile Fidelity LP and Beatles Box issues. The Beatles Capitol Albums CD box with one album in Stereo twice on the same disc, rather than once in stereo and once in mono. Should I continue with their boneheadedness?

the usa mix cd stuff up of rubber soul and Beatles VI was only on the original pressing run of the box sets (which was a rather large pressing run)..there was a code to look for to spot the difference ..but they would replace it with the correct stereo/mono cd's once they realised the mistake...and the following pressing runs of the box sets were correct....the way to check audibly is that the USA version of "I'm looking through you" has the false start in stereo but not in mono
or Disc 2 = 56:16 (disc with incorrect mono mix is 56:01)
Disc 4 = 59:08 (disc with incorrect mono mix is 59:01)

The MFSL cassette tape of magical M Tour is in true stereo on side 2...yes they stuffed up when they did the separate capitol mfsl Lp issue as they got the tape from capitol, but they had the right tape for the box set. and cassette tape..it's just that MFSL used the wrong tape on the box set..and the right one for the cassette..

This is an awkward situation we Multi-Channel fans find ourselves in, and not the first or last time either. We together at QQ and other sites are advocates for getting vintage and new MC music released. We are the most loyal music fans and we want to buy more stuff. If we don't buy - we do not get more releases, obviously.

It's easy to forget these releases originally came out almost 40 years ago. If this release did not come out "correct" to begin with in the 1970's, then one could suppose EMI would have assumed the channel assignments were correct. But then the "click" in the stereo portion. Not sure why the disc was not listened to carefully before releasing and perhaps more Quad archival info sought. This is one of the all time great Quad titles ever released. Back in the day, it seemed to have been everywhere all through the 70s, including "Sears" of all places. If I can get this at the right price, I will buy just to own it, for what it is. One should not feel bad to own this warts and all, as what is there is great, as opposed to Nothing. Such is the situation we find ourselves in.

Also, we do seem to get inconsistent configurations of packages. What is the thinking here? Some of the best packages we've seen lately were, the "Lynyrd Skynyrd" DVD-A, as that also had an extra DVD of visual media for those who want/expect that. The "Moving Pictures" title was cool that it came out in both DVD-A and Blu-Ray versions with a CD included. The E.L.O. Quadraphonic title was also great, especially for the price.

At any rate, hopefully this "glitch" does not stop the steady stream of Quadraphonic and Multi-Channel stuff we seem to be finally getting from EMI now.

As nuts as I am, I will still buy this title. If a "proper" Quad mix replaces it, I'll buy that, too. This is a curiosity and perhaps it will become a collector's item. No matter, I won't part with it. As I've stated before, and others have as well, this is one of the classic Quads, in both music and mix.

Still, EMI and especially Capitol (yes, I know this one isn't Capitol) have done so many sloppy things over the years that nothing surprises me with them.

Jim, i'm agree with most what you said but... wouldn't buy this release either correct or incorrect placement of soundfield
just because i don't like the sound of DTS and can't find even single excuse for EMI, having on the hands lossless audio,
go with lossy surround on the final retail product at premium price. after all, main point of this release was quad mix, which
last time was accessible, as you said, 40 years ago.
also i can't understand snobism of those, involved in production. from previous case with JT "Aqualung" we can assume
they perfectly know about QQ community. what hold them up from participation and active interaction with their consumers?
after all we have here the members with incredible knowledge of quad era and in fact, one of the rare community of the folks,
who actually prefer to buy, instead of freely download.
if ones have concern about quality and selection of their product, dialog with potential buyers couldn't be wrong move.

The levels are fine, but re-authoring will be anything but simple if you want to end up with a disc anything like the original.

It will require finding a way to make 1 button do 2 things (go to the track menu for the version you want AND set the correct audio)

Or figuring out how to make a slideshow with chapters, or making a menu that will go to a specific slide.

Also, I got bitched at by dvd lab pro for having 2 movies that don't have the same type of audio on the first option, one has the high res stereo, the other dolby digital. Well, how the hell else am I going to do this?

I'm about ready to swear off dvd technology and go all flac, if I can find a way to make that work for me. I'm really sick of menus.

Even easier if you have DVD-ReAuthor Pro & Scenarist SD.
Just dismantle the original with the first app, and it turns it into a Scenarist project.
ALl I have to do now is re-encode the DTS streams the right way around, replace the asset & recompile.
I'm doing the audio renders now.....although the sound is not a patch on the columbia master reel version.

...and to add insult to injury, the sound on this goofed up DVD(V!) is not even as good as the donkeys' years old unofficial/illegal/"underground" (call it what you like) reel..!

this is definitely the last time I blind buy an EMI quad/5.1 release now - in future, I will just wait til there's some feedback from others on here etc before wading in and getting it first.

why should we pay for inferior product (broken, in fact, the swapped channels are just that).. thats bundled in with useless rubbish most of us don't want/need.. when we can get it unbroken (i.e. channels correct as originally intended!) for free, yes for absolutely nothing (albeit illegally) online..??

bloody bunch of berks. :mad:

Back