DVD/DTS Poll Ten Years After - A SPACE IN TIME [DTS 96-24/DD DVD+LP]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Ten Years After - A SPACE IN TIME

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
The thing about this disc for me, the Quad DVD-V we are rating, is that not only is a it a great album, has great sound, and the quad mix is lovely, but the mastering on this DVD is terrific. Shame about the front and back channels. But I would prefer they screw up the channels (fairly easy to fix), than blow the mastering and have it sound dull, overly bright, or maximized/bricked. I've not looked at the wavs, but I gather this is a very smooth and respectful mastering so far as source tapes, captured, EQ, etc. It sounds equal to a good Audio Fidelity SACD so far as quality. Just a regular DVD, and it's a 10 imo.

I know I am rambling on about format a bit. But I listened to this tonight. I was going to play "Here They Come" and move on to something else, but I ended up listening the the entire album. Sounded so good....

I passed this up years ago largely because of the swapped channels. Also I was satisfied with my SQ copy. The SQ does not have swapped channels. I also have a conversion from the "Robin Reel" which sounds great. Lastly I had no need of the stereo LP.

A couple of years ago found a used copy on Discogs for a reasonable price. I put it aside forgetting about it. Today I pulled it out to give it a listen. Fantastic sound! I would rate it a ten but will deduct a point for the swapped channels. As for that, how could that happen without being noticed? Did someone actually think that it is supposed to be that way????

Just got this after looking for it for literally a number of years. It's supposed to be "near mint" and the LP does look mint. The DVD was included. Found it in a Toronto record shop, called them a couple of times then ordered. Arrived last night in GA.

I haven't listened yet but I do have the SQ LP, although a used one off ebay and it wasn't in the best shape. Took multiple cleanings and using the stylus to push out ground in crud. But boy does the SQ LP sound glorious through my Audionics S&IC with Tate II chips.
This was one of the most adventurous, aggressive use of rear channels so am very happy I finally found the package with DVD.

I understand it's reversed and I can swap the channel mapping in my Trinnov Altitude proc, Is this correct that it's a straight reversal, LF becomes LR and RF becomes RR? I hope L & R aren't reversed but I'll find out hopefully this week.

If I wanted to rip this using makemkv and DVD Audio Extractor (or Audiomux) can the channels be swapped in the rip so they are correct? I"ll be using Roon for playback.

It took a long time to find a used copy of this premo quad release.
Any chance the store in Toronto was that little spot on Dundas East, just West of Yonge? I only ask because I foung Talking Heads DVD Audio there for $5.00 and was in perfect shape. I think someone sold it there after only 'hearing noise' when they put it in their CD player.

Any chance the store in Toronto was that little spot on Dundas East, just West of Yonge? I only ask because I foung Talking Heads DVD Audio there for $5.00 and was in perfect shape. I think someone sold it there after only 'hearing noise' when they put it in their CD player.
There was a short time when they were practically giving away the T Heads DVD-Audio + CD versions. I originally bought the Brick set which are Dual Discs when it was released. A few years later, I was able to pick up the DVD-Audio + CD version's, for backup's, under $3 each, new.

Having posts moved or removed has left a hole in this thread. I was trying to sort out comments made by OD in his blog referring to the CD release. Rather confusing as this poll is about the DVD+Stereo LP release.

I had to go back to the very beginning to see that some people were talking about the related CD release. Farther on people were saying that the SQ release had the same swapped (front to rear) channels as the DVD. That is not the case with the original LP. Apparently however The CD has (some form of) the Quad release included after the original stereo on the same CD. The description of the quad mix to stereo implies a simple fold down of the discrete channels, but it also says that it is a mixdown of the SQ quadraphonic to stereo. A mixdown of SQ to stereo makes no sense to me, an SQ encode is already mixed down to stereo.

OD says to use phase bug to phase shift the L and R channels to fix "the corrupted SQ release". Based on that information it would appear that without that phase treatment the "quad mix" portion of the CD decodes via an SQ decoder the same as the messed up DVD! Both releases came out about the same time both on "Chrysalis". I assume that the same individuals were responsible for both screw ups! What were they thinking!

Moderators, if you choose to move this post you should also go away back to the early 2012 posts and move those that speak of the CD or of the SQ decoding with the vocals in the rear.

Fantastic sound! I would rate it a ten but will deduct a point for the swapped channels. As for that, how could that happen without being noticed? Did someone actually think that it is supposed to be that way????
I think someone else mentioned this upthread, but the quad mix often features drums, bass, and lead guitar in the rear speakers. If whoever mastered this was more used to dealing with modern 5.1's (where said elements are almost always placed in the front speakers), perhaps they were willing to write off the rear vocals as just another quirk of the quad era? It's aggravating, but at least they didn't screw up the EQ and/or dynamics - it sounds better than any prior version of the quad mix, including the reel transfer.

The way things are going we may not see the quad master tapes surface again for certain albums. This could be one of them. While Machine Head and Fragile and even Dark Side get surround mixes for the third and forth time, other albums already mixed can fail to appear at all.

This is what we got from this! I’m still excited about top quad titles appearing on a modern disc and sounding so good. Full Sail is my other favorite that I’m still thrilled about like those Earth Wind and Fire titles. Just hoping for a few more before maybe being forced to settle with 360RA lossy.

Last edited:
Back