DVD/DTS Poll Ten Years After - A SPACE IN TIME [DTS 96-24/DD DVD+LP]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Ten Years After - A SPACE IN TIME

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this DTS DVD that is included with an LP. (n):phones(y)

Ten Years After Back 600.jpg

Last edited:
I'm giving this a 9 (after swapping fronts for rears.) It is much clearer and crisper than any other version I've heard before, including the Q4/DVD-A that is out there. This has another level of clarity and every instrument and voice is present and clear. If it were lossless, it would be a 10.

Interesting. I still haven't got my shipment from Germany. Anyone compared this to the Audio Fidelity gold CD yet? Anyway I'll probably get this EMI one too.

Is there going to be a poll for the SQ CD? Mine hasn't arrived yet but should be here soon. One thing I'm curious about is will it be a flat transfer like the 24/96 LPCM DVD or will the EQ be fiddled with?

I bought the LP/DVD-V, which I rated 7. Even though it's lossy, I would have rated it 10 if the damn thing weren't bass ackwards. This is one of the essential QUAD albums. IF the CD is truly SQ encoded, I'll pop for one of those. Who can confirm that is is?

Actually I've just read the back of the CD and it says

"Tracks 11-20 are a new stereo mix down of the original 1973 SQ Quadraphonic edition, newly remixed by Peter Mew at Abbey Road. Previously unreleased"

What on earth would posses them to do that?

I assume that you have an SQ decoder. If so, what kind? The segue between Let the Sky Fall and Hard Monkeys should swirl around you in a circle on a Q8 or SQ with a full-logic or Tate decoder. Decoding SQ through a non-logic decoder, QS, synthesizer or Dolby PL/PL II decoder won't yield those results, even if the CD IS SQ.

A stereo mix of the SQ sounds as though it is like previous issues of Machine Head or Jefferson Airplane tracks where the multi-track masters or Quad albums have been mixed down to stereo after decoding. They obviously won't decode. They have, in effect, created a new mix, albeit 2 ch. If done properly, RF & RR become the right channel and LF & LR become the left channel. They're assuming that no one has a Quad decoder, which we know isn't true. Sad.

I'm listening to the DVD-V as I type this, but very soon I'll break out my SQ & Q8 of this.
Ten-Years-After-A-Space-In-Time--131536.jpg
$T2eC16J,!y8E9s2figOUBQBdMUvDSg~~60_35.JPG

How do I tell? I've had the CD for a few weeks but haven't played it as yet. I don't have the DVD-V yet to compare it to

BTW, if you like this, I strongly suggest any of their previous albums on Deram. They ALL are classic. IMHO, all the later US Columbia or UK EMI albums are spotty. If you like Alvin Lee, I HIGHLY recommend On the Road to Freedom, which is a more acoustic album with Mylon LeFevre. George Harrison guest stars. Get it, you won't regret it!
cover.jpg

The segue between Let the Sky Fall and Hard Monkeys should swirl around you in a circle

Thanks Linda. That was what I was after. I don't have a full logic decoder and am unlikely to have access to my stereo in the near future. I was wondering if I could put it through a script and upload it somewhere for someone to check? I've totally lost track of the scripts so could someone tell me what the latest one was please?

Actually I've just read the back of the CD and it says

"Tracks 11-20 are a new stereo mix down of the original 1973 SQ Quadraphonic edition, newly remixed by Peter Mew at Abbey Road. Previously unreleased"

What on earth would posses them to do that?

if its' different content in the quad mix, or different instruments used (or even entire passages of music can be different) or stuff that just wasn't there in the original stereo, then even a stereo mixdown of the quad mix would sound different to the original stereo mix on the LP.. and so be worthwhile presenting to fans who don't have or don't want surround playback.

EMI did much the same thing with some of their Deep Purple reissues, presenting the downmixed quad on stereo CD as alternate takes/versions of the stereo album presentation.

After listening to ASIT DVD-V a second time last evening, it dawned on me: most of the guitar leads are in the rears (now the fronts.) Perhaps this is why this was mastered bass ackwards. Still, didn't ANYONE realize that the vocals were in the rears?

After listening to ASIT DVD-V a second time last evening, it dawned on me: most of the guitar leads are in the rears (now the fronts.) Perhaps this is why this was mastered bass ackwards. Still, didn't ANYONE realize that the vocals were in the rears?

haha.. that's a very astute observation! whoever oversaw this new transfer (Peter Mew..!?) certainly didn't have (or didn't use) the original commercial quad releases of this to reference the finished product.

I've now just about got over my exasperation & disappointment and decided to look upon this new DVD-V as an alternate version and the Quad reel rip that's out there on the interwebs as the real deal..!

what I would add, which just shows how great quad heads think alike, is on the Boston multitrack stems both me & sukothai opted to put the acoustic guitars in the front pair & electric guitars in the rears! just like the person responsible for the original quad mix of TYA's ASIT. it's obvious to a real quaddie where these things should be!

I bought the LP/DVD-V, which I rated 7. Even though it's lossy, I would have rated it 10 if the damn thing weren't bass ackwards.

Mine has not yet arrived. Am I missing something regarding the mix? Am I going to need to sit backwards on my sofa to listen to this one?

Back