DVD/DTS Poll Ten Years After - A SPACE IN TIME [DTS 96-24/DD DVD+LP]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Ten Years After - A SPACE IN TIME

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Isn't the Raiders' 'Indian Reservation' reversed on the SQ version? I have the LP, and I need to go listen again. I did a DTS conversion a few years ago and didn't fix it, if it is in fact reversed.

So... I have a 'copy' of the quad reel in 24/96 PCM digital. It's nice. You can tell somebody worked on it including processing with some noise reduction. It sounds like decent work though (and I am NOT a pushover for such things!) and I very much like the mix (flaws and all).

The timing on the fx intro for Here They Come isn't as on point as the stereo mix but at the same time you get nuance in it that was buried in the stereo. (Must have had that bit on a different tape deck and just didn't perform the sync move quite right for this mix. Or maybe it evolved in the stereo mix and the budget wasn't there for remix work on the quad? Who knows...)

The 'guitar player on stage' mix of Baby Let Me Rock & Roll You makes me laugh out loud! :D

And of course - nice gratuitous work with the joystick. Completely in character with the mix. :)

I haven't heard this reissue. How is it? Is it DTS-MA (lossless)? This isn't one of those insulting standard lossy core DTS abominations is it? And it's the same original 4.0 quad?

Yeah, duh, maybe I should pay more attention!

Well... dts 24/96 should be far less lossy than the generation loss of studio master > production master > production copy > ? tape deck > ? AD converters > someone's noise reduction work and whatever else > that Q4 DVDA

I should get this...

Haha, they really swapped the front & rear channels?! :D
That's... a bit more embarrassing than forgetting to read page one of a forum thread! :D

I'll just rewrite the flac files after ripping it in with the correct channel order.

FYI, you can change your 5.1 system channel assignments with Audio MIDI Setup in OSX in a pinch.

I love this mix! I feel like I'm stuck in the middle of a guitar tornado! I reassigned/swapped the front and rear channels prior to my first listen using DVD Audio Extractor and Audacity, and the 4.1 mix sounds great! Very discrete and fun. The sound quality is very good. I give this an 8.

FWIW, the "stereo quad mix" of this album streaming on Spotify does some very interesting stuff decoded by PLII. I wouldn't say it is necessarily "accurate" but there is definitely a lot of stuff going on. In particular, the end of "Here They Come" bounces all around the four speakers quite discretely.

Me wonders whether these stereo mix downs of quad mixes retain any of the out of phase stuff that SQ and QS records relied up and that PLII sends to the rear channels.

FWIW, the "stereo quad mix" of this album streaming on Spotify does some very interesting stuff decoded by PLII. I wouldn't say it is necessarily "accurate" but there is definitely a lot of stuff going on. In particular, the end of "Here They Come" bounces all around the four speakers quite discretely.

Me wonders whether these stereo mix downs of quad mixes retain any of the out of phase stuff that SQ and QS records relied up and that PLII sends to the rear channels.

Have you heard the actual quad mix? It's unbelievably excellent...not surprised it decodes nicely with PLII.

As far as the dvd goes this would be a 10 for quad mix and superb music and still impresses with a swivel seat.

Horrible quality control with this issue, reversing front and rear, so vocals come from rear!

I give it a eight, minus 2 for the lack of basic quality control.

It is also interesting to note that the SQ mixdown to stereo, did not occur, can't be done.MATRIX IS EMBEDDED!!
See my review in QUAD CDS.

fizzy

I have read this about switching front with back but i haven´t liked the idea of having the guitars in the back.
My solution was to switch everything clockwise an quarter.
After that i lowered the back channels 30%.
This suits my equipment best i think as i want the main sound to come from the front.
It actually follows the stereo track quite well with where the sound comes on it.
It really has an good stereo track also so both ways of listening to this excellent album if wonderful.

But now i can fully appreciate the surround track also

This is a remarkable mix. Even considering that the channels might be reversed. It is extremely discrete, with excellent sound quality. Not to mention carrying one of the top five rock songs of all time ("I'd Love to Change the World". (My opinion of course. ;-)

The previous quad mix I heard, presumably taken from Q4, suffered from horribly distorted and weak guitar in the last half of ILTCTW. In this release the guitar sounds like it's supposed to.

This is a 9 for me. I'll make a version with F/R swapped to see if it would be a 10.

I have read this about switching front with back but i haven´t liked the idea of having the guitars in the back.
My solution was to switch everything clockwise an quarter.
After that i lowered the back channels 30%.
This suits my equipment best i think as i want the main sound to come from the front.
It actually follows the stereo track quite well with where the sound comes on it.
It really has an good stereo track also so both ways of listening to this excellent album if wonderful.

But now i can fully appreciate the surround track also

This is a remarkable mix. Even considering that the channels might be reversed. It is extremely discrete, with excellent sound quality. Not to mention carrying one of the top five rock songs of all time ("I'd Love to Change the World". (My opinion of course. ;-)

The previous quad mix I heard, presumably taken from Q4, suffered from horribly distorted and weak guitar in the last half of ILTCTW. In this release the guitar sounds like it's supposed to.

This is a 9 for me. I'll make a version with F/R swapped to see if it would be a 10.

I'm glad you got that title from discogs:cool:..I think they did a great job on this disc...

So I tried the F/R swap. Mixed bag based on a comparison of ILTCTW. Vocals are dramatically improved! However two new (lesser) issues crop up for me. First, the lead electric guitar is moved to the rear. For me it's the album co-star, just after vocals, and belongs in the front. Second, the drums move to the rear - not my favorite positioning.

In the net I prefer the swap because the vocals are significantly better. I'll live with the other shortcomings of the swap. This is still a 9 with channel swap....I'll keep both versions on the server.

This title really defines quadraphonic sound. The first time I heard it was on the quad 8-track player in my buddy's car. I went out and bought the SQ LP, but never heard it as it should be heard until I got my Tate decoder. It was then that it became obvious that the front and rear channels were reversed. Having it in a digital surround format is a fantastic progression for this album. If you don't have it, get it.

This title really defines quadraphonic sound. The first time I heard it was on the quad 8-track player in my buddy's car. I went out and bought the SQ LP, but never heard it as it should be heard until I got my Tate decoder. It was then that it became obvious that the front and rear channels were reversed. Having it in a digital surround format is a fantastic progression for this album. If you don't have it, get it.

The SQ LP is swapped just like the DVD released?

The SQ LP is swapped just like the DVD released?

It sounds that way to me, so much so that I was concerned that the balance control on my Tate decoder was somehow miswired. The SQ version is so directionally-discrete that it is much more noticeable than most other matrix LPs that immerse you but don't have an obvious front soundfield.

Back