DVD/DTS Poll Ten Years After - A SPACE IN TIME [DTS 96-24/DD DVD+LP]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Ten Years After - A SPACE IN TIME

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
It sounds that way to me, so much so that I was concerned that the balance control on my Tate decoder was somehow miswired. The SQ version is so directionally-discrete that it is much more noticeable than most other matrix LPs that immerse you but don't have an obvious front soundfield.

The SQ lp does not have channels swapped re : front , rear.

Adjust your Tate, or recheck wiring I suggest humbly.

I've played that disc numerous times via my Sony SQA 2030 and Fosgate 101a and the album does not place Alvin's vocals in the rear such as the dts dvd.

That quad mix is "Demo " quality , and was one quad album I loved to demo for quad.

Swapped channels :rolleyes: Good thing I have a swivel chair .

If one uses a swivel chair, then front to back is corrected but L and R are then reversed.

The only real way to fix this (during listening) is to swap the cables sending the front and back channels to their amp in-puts, but leave left and right channels as is.

Last edited:
I started my multichannel addiction late. This was very hard for me to find. Searched for 6 months and finally landed a brand new sealed copy.
My surround speakers are on the sides and 1 foot in front of the listening position.
With my set up I don't mind vocals coming from the surrounds. The mix on this one reminds me of Neil Young's Harvest DVD A.
This is a great album. Plenty of variety. Its more psychedelic than I remember. The surround mix is discreet and usually quite good.
Had to mark it down a point because a couple of songs have some too hot & compressed lead guitar coming from the surrounds.
Very happy to have this one!

I started my multichannel addiction late. This was very hard for me to find. Searched for 6 months and finally landed a brand new sealed copy.
My surround speakers are on the sides and 1 foot in front of the listening position.
With my set up I don't mind vocals coming from the surrounds. The mix on this one reminds me of Neil Young's Harvest DVD A.
This is a great album. Plenty of variety. Its more psychedelic than I remember. The surround mix is discreet and usually quite good.
Had to mark it down a point because a couple of songs have some too hot & compressed lead guitar coming from the surrounds.
Very happy to have this one!
I also came late to the MCH party, and had a similar take on the rear channels. If you can, try the Front/Rear channel swap as suggested above in this thread. It is amazing how much better the mix and even the mastering sound. The swap can be done physically (via cables) or (even better and easier) using a digital copy and swapping the channels in Audacity.

I also came late to the MCH party, and had a similar take on the rear channels. If you can, try the Front/Rear channel swap as suggested above in this thread. It is amazing how much better the mix and even the mastering sound. The swap can be done physically (via cables) or (even better and easier) using a digital copy and swapping the channels in Audacity.
That’s the first time I’ve heard of a mastering sounding improved with channels corrected to proper assignment. But I would expect that the mix could sound more anchored.

That’s the first time I’ve heard of a mastering sounding improved with channels corrected to proper assignment. But I would expect that the mix could sound more anchored.
My rating of 7 is based on the messed up channel assignments. It sounds much better when corrected. But it still remains a 7 for me because not everyone has the ability to listen to the album with the corrections. :(

You got me there on the mastering comment :) In hindsight I was a victim at the time of modest rear speakers (Pioneer Andrew Jones). With the original channel assignment I was dissatisfied with the sound of the lead instruments and vocals coming from the rears. After swapping channels (via Audicity) I was rewarded by a MUCH better sound from my Ascend RAAL towers. I incorrectly attributed this improvement to mastering.

Subsequently I've upgraded my rear channels (Ascend CBM-170SE) to more closely match the front towers. I suspect if I listened to the original F/R mix, the mastering would not be an issue.

I'm listening to this again tonight. I think due to this being of very high-quality sound, a great mix and first-rate album musically, I think only one point down because of the channels swapped front to back. It still rates a solid 9 for me at this point in time.

It may never get a corrected reissue in my lifetime? Dutton Vocalion is less likely to do an album now controlled by Warner Music Group. So this is it. Put it on and swing your chair around - or swap your cables around - or not, and just dig this stunning quad album.

Just came in here to dejectedly kick the pebbles around on the street, reading what everyone has to say about it since I've never heard this, am super curious, and can't find (even an insanely expensive) listing for this anywhere! :sneaky:

I had their Cricklewood Green album as a kid and my brother had their Shhhhh album. Then there was Alvin Lees starring role in the Woodstock movie. Great music.
Incredible stoner albums. I listened to them on headphones not long ago. The mixes are made to be mind-blowing.

I love this mix! I feel like I'm stuck in the middle of a guitar tornado! I reassigned/swapped the front and rear channels prior to my first listen using DVD Audio Extractor and Audacity, and the 4.1 mix sounds great! Very discrete and fun. The sound quality is very good. I give this an 8.

How did you swapped the channels? I'm a complete illiterate on Audacity. I was trying to do it but whenever I was going to export the mix it said a mono track would be exported...

Would you be able to upload that mix somewhere or make a small tutorial with the steps?

Thanks!!! :)

Just got this after looking for it for literally a number of years. It's supposed to be "near mint" and the LP does look mint. The DVD was included. Found it in a Toronto record shop, called them a couple of times then ordered. Arrived last night in GA.

I haven't listened yet but I do have the SQ LP, although a used one off ebay and it wasn't in the best shape. Took multiple cleanings and using the stylus to push out ground in crud. But boy does the SQ LP sound glorious through my Audionics S&IC with Tate II chips.
This was one of the most adventurous, aggressive use of rear channels so am very happy I finally found the package with DVD.

I understand it's reversed and I can swap the channel mapping in my Trinnov Altitude proc, Is this correct that it's a straight reversal, LF becomes LR and RF becomes RR? I hope L & R aren't reversed but I'll find out hopefully this week.

If I wanted to rip this using makemkv and DVD Audio Extractor (or Audiomux) can the channels be swapped in the rip so they are correct? I"ll be using Roon for playback.

It took a long time to find a used copy of this premo quad release.

Back