Ten Years After "A Space In Time" (limited-run SDE Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos, 5.1, and Quad shipping 3/17)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to admit that I didn't understand all the talk about slipcases. Maybe that's because I usually immediately throw them away (recycle, actually) when a blu-ray arrives. I'll keep this one, though.

As for the music, I decided to listen to the quad mix first, for the practical reason that I was working today, and for various reasons, that just made sense (locations of desk, monitors, and speakers). I though it sounded great, but toward the end of the album, I noticed that there was sound coming from my center channel. Sure enough, I had the DTS-Mstr + DTS Neural X mode selected in my AVR. I selected DTS-Mstr for the rest of the album, and no more center channel sound.

I'll listen to the Atmos mix and maybe the 5.1 mix this weekend.

Played this in 2 channel tonight (Quad to come later).

Is it just me or are the vocal sibilants on this kinda harsh?
Immediately noticeable IMO, especially on the 2023 mix which is why I preferred the 1971 flat transfer.
Compared it to the Audio Fidelity which might not seem quite as “clear” but easier to listen to.
Not a dud but also not the revelation I had hoped for.
Gave it a 2nd listen with a couple of changes.
First I swapped transports.
Same DAC but the differences sometimes surprise me.
And I’d been messing around with speaker positioning to help a “dull” sounding recording. Returned them to their regular toed out orientation which helped quite a bit.
I now appreciate that Chris Kimsey pushed the vocals forward a bit, though I still prefer the 1971 mix slightly.

I received my copy a couple of days ago. Yesterday I listened to the quad (first of coarse). Excellent sound quality and great mix, I love hearing drums in the rear! I had a brief listen to the 5.1 yesterday and then fully today, very good surround but it's just not the quad mix.

The 5.1 seemed a bit louder and not as smooth sounding as the quad version. I suspect that some bricking was used? It could also be that the quad mix has an extra generation of tape between it and the multitrack master which helps to soften the sound a bit but in a good way.

I just pre-ordered Mike Oldfield / Tubular Bells!

Hi everyone. Here's some exclusive news for all my friends here at QuadrophonicQuad – which I haven't even posted on SDE yet – and that is we are doing another run of 1000 Ten Years After, since there is such an incredible demand for this release!

To have the best chance of getting a copy add yourself to the 'waiting list' by clicking on the 'Notify me if you get some more' button on the product listing.
https://www.thesdeshop.com/collecti...e-limited-edition-sde-exclusive-blu-ray-audio
As soon as these go back into stock (which should be in a couple of weeks) you will get sent an email, so no waiting for a post on SDE.

Cheers
Paul

Hi everyone. Here's some exclusive news for all my friends here at QuadrophonicQuad – which I haven't even posted on SDE yet – and that is we are doing another run of 1000 Ten Years After, since there is such an incredible demand for this release!

To have the best chance of getting a copy add yourself to the 'waiting list' by clicking on the 'Notify me if you get some more' button on the product listing.
https://www.thesdeshop.com/collecti...e-limited-edition-sde-exclusive-blu-ray-audio
As soon as these go back into stock (which should be in a couple of weeks) you will get sent an email, so no waiting for a post on SDE.

Cheers
Paul
Very cool, Paul. I’m certain you’ve just made the day of 1000 surround sound enthusiastic brothers and sisters worldwide!

Cheers
Paul
I hope this new order is limited to one per customer, to stop some ordering many copies, only to then sell them at inflated prices on various outlets.

I have noticed that the spectrogram of the quad mix has a quite clear cut right below the 20kHz. I am wondering if that is source dependant because the mix is encoded in a lossless format.

1680776888955.png

They have also lowered the volume of the original flat transfer and the stereo remix to match the atmos mix. I think it was a good move, but it requires a bit of work during ripping (most tracks peak at -10dB).

I have noticed that the spectrogram of the quad mix has a quite clear cut right below the 20kHz. I am wondering if that is source dependant because the mix is encoded in a lossless format.
Looks like your spectrogram has been sampled from a FLAC encode, not the discs DTS-HD MA source... Are you able to sample the source?

Looks like your spectrogram has been sampled from a FLAC encode, not the discs DTS-HD MA source... Are you able to sample the source?
Yes, I am able to sample the source, which is DTS-HD MA, with a DTS core. It's exactly the same.
This FLAC was created via MakeMKV rip, then MMH to extract the FLAC files. I also tried using DVD Audio Extractor, and the result is the same. The source DTS-HD MA has a cut at about 20kHz. That might be the source file... don't know.

Are you guys happy with most stereo and quad files peaking at -10dB? I've applied some amplification because I think it's better to get closer to 0dB when possible.

Are you guys happy with most stereo and quad files peaking at -10dB? I've applied some amplification because I think it's better to get closer to 0dB when possible.
If it's 24 bit or higher bit depth being -10dB down won't make any difference at all, apart from how much you have to turn the volume knob.

The source MKV rip, as well as the extracted DTS-HD Master and the DTS core look very similar to each other. I haven’t done a null test but I wouldn’t be surprised if the source file they used for this quad wasn't lossless Or was an old digital transfer. I can’t explain this clear cut even though it looks like a filter and not from a lossy encoder.

Cheers
Paul

Darn it! I bought and received 100 of these and now I won't be able to get big bucks for them on Ebay! Thanks a lot!!!! (KIDDING)

Back