Ten Years After "A Space In Time" (limited-run SDE Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos, 5.1, and Quad shipping 3/17)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks dont know that one at all but I'll keep it in mind
This new Atmos fad is starting to remind me of the old Silverline production model.....
i was worried things might be heading that way when all the Schmatmos concoctions of tracks that should've been remixes from multitracks rather than fudges from Stereo started appearing but there's been tons of genuine Atmos mixes streaming that are leaps and bounds better than the majority of Silverline faux-point-1 dreck imho 🙂

edit: also fwiw (and not wanting to tempt fate! 😬 🤞 ) it seems like there's almost no new Schmatmos stuff on Apple lately? 🙏

Last edited:
i was worried things might be heading that way when all the Schmatmos concoctions of tracks that should've been remixes from multitracks rather than fudges from Stereo started appearing but there's been tons of genuine Atmos mixes streaming that are leaps and bounds better than the majority of Silverline faux-point-1 dreck imho 🙂

edit: also fwiw (and not wanting to tempt fate! 😬 🤞 ) it seems like there's almost no new Schmatmos stuff on Apple lately? 🙏

Not only that, a lot of it was pulled. So there appears to be some effort to enforce Apple's no upmix policy.

Bruce Soord :)

Soord, SW, Ryan Ulyate, and Greg Penny are probably my Mount Rushmore of Atmos mixers.
i honestly think the way they are handling the EJ Atmos mixes right now don't entirely do Greg Penny justice.. there's so much beautiful Atmos activity going on (especially in the creative use of the Sides, Rears and Heights) on some of those tracks they deserve better than the bandwidth limited streaming offering they only have to date and should see some sort of physical release also.. let's hope for a good outcome someday before we're all dead/deaf! ✌️🤞🥳

Not only that, a lot of it was pulled. So there appears to be some effort to enforce Apple's no upmix policy.
yes it's a very encouraging development 🙂 if they could offer the option of higher bitrate Atmos (or even in one's wildest dreams, Lossless Atmos maybe!?) streaming to those with good enough connections and maybe for select albums (at the risk of sounding like a sonic snob, a kind of "Premium Spatial Audio" offering, almost?) that'd be the icing on an already tasty cake 😋😍

anytime! ✌️🤗 i enjoyed some of those mixes, i just get so lazy to drag out the box sets everytime to spin the DVDs and haven't got round to ripping any of them.. yet! 😅
I try not to fall behind anymore.
Many if not most times I'll rip a new disc before I've ever listened to it and then only hear my computers rip.

yes it's a very encouraging development 🙂 if they could offer the option of higher bitrate Atmos (or even in one's wildest dreams, Lossless Atmos maybe!?) streaming to those with good enough connections and maybe for select albums (at the risk of sounding like a sonic snob, a kind of "Premium Spatial Audio" offering, almost?) that'd be the icing on an already tasty cake 😋😍
I agree but the fact that it encourages people to actually lay down the cash for a hard disc or bit-perfect download isn't a completely bad thing. ;)

Kurt Martinez who is Head Dolby Engineer at Dean Street Studios in Soho, London; was responsible for the ATMOS mix, and used new plug-ins to emulate the original desk to achieve the new mix.

If I’d known that I wouldn’t have ordered this release. And now we can hear this release, ditto. I was only interested in the Atmos mix and it’s a dud.

That’s the problem with these limited SDE releases, wait until reviews to decide on purchase means you can’t order it.

Probably - much like how Michael Brauer gets the credit for Bob Dylan's Time Out Of Mind Atmos mix, but the finer print makes it sound like Fernando Reyes did the bulk of the work.

Regardless of whose work it is, this TYA Atmos mix isn't anything to write home about (at least in my opinion). It's a little cleaner-sounding and less hissy than the quad, but the dynamics seem kinda toned down and the surround effect is much more conservative. For instance I miss all the crazy backwards tape and sitar-like effects throughout "Let The Sky Fall" that were prominent in the quad, they're like ghosts in the mix on the Atmos (maybe that's truer to the stereo version?).
Grrrrrrrr!

On the Atmos / 5.1 mix, does everyone’s disc start off with the vocals in just the left speaker? I’m guessing it’s a stylistic choice.

Back