Ten Years After "A Space In Time" (limited-run SDE Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos, 5.1, and Quad shipping 3/17)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4.0 very good, I had an "OH OH" moment when Track 2 "Here They Come", Alvin's vocals are a strong rear left and a light front left. But that was just the one song, all the rest where either phantom center or left front.
Just finishing the 5.1, I totally disagree with others that say the 4.0 is better than the 5.1. The 5.1 is WAYYYYYY better.
We have sun in CA after 3 months of rain, and the front and rear yards are a shambles, wife wants me to get to work, will feel good to be out in the sun.
One more to go, ATMOS, can't wait.
I’m curious as to your opinion on the 5.1 vs the Atmos. One thing for certain…whether one prefers the original quad, the new 5.1, or the Atmos, this Bluray is the definitive release when it comes to sound quality.

I’m curious as to your opinion on the 5.1 vs the Atmos. One thing for certain…whether one prefers the original quad, the new 5.1, or the Atmos, this Bluray is the definitive release when it comes to sound quality.
I’ll let you know later today about Atmos.
100% agree, the sonic quality, the remix, even the not remixed, the sonic quality is better than average of all music releases.
Having Chis Kimsey in charge was a god send.
Just like having Eddie Kramer with Hendrix.

I have been staying off this thread cuz I am just too excited, I am going to love all, 4.0, 5.1 and Atmos no matter what, a critical audiophile I will not be.
I am watching you complain about your order is stuck somewhere, so I thought lets see what all this is about. I went into my tracking and see that mine has been in Carson CA, south of Los Angeles, for a few days and on the way to customs, for another few days.
I figured it out, @PaulatSDE there is not enough titles released and US Customs can take there time with this random low release. Lesson learned, next Ten Years After Atmos release, at least 4000 will be needed to get THE FLOW through US Customs to go smoothly.
Mine arrived at Chicago customs Sunday and last update says it was released from customs this afternoon. So now I’m thinking maybe Tuesday. 🤞🏻

Mine was released from New York customs on Wednesday. I assumed it would make its way to me in Connecticut within the next two or three days. Where is it now? A USPS distribution center in Atlanta. 😭

When my copy of The Tipping Point was released from New York customs, it got sent to California. I guess Atlanta is closer....

When my copy of The Tipping Point was released from New York customs, it got sent to California. I guess Atlanta is closer....
It actually made sense with Tears For Fears as one of their live albums was titled Going To California... ;)

Tears For Fears - Going To California.jpg

4.0 very good, I had an "OH OH" moment when Track 2 "Here They Come", Alvin's vocals are a strong rear left and a light front left. But that was just the one song, all the rest where either phantom center or left front.
Just finishing the 5.1, I totally disagree with others that say the 4.0 is better than the 5.1. The 5.1 is WAYYYYYY better.
We have sun in CA after 3 months of rain, and the front and rear yards are a shambles, wife wants me to get to work, will feel good to be out in the sun.
One more to go, ATMOS, can't wait.
I don’t pretend to be the most knowledgeable person on this forum (far from it…), but I really enjoyed the DTS 5.1 mix…
I usually find DTS to be the most discrete mix…which is what I mainly care about…hence the moniker 😋

It really is pretty amazing that Paul at SDE was able to pull this off - what an unexpected gift 🎁
You are so right.
@PaulatSDE thank you so much for this incredible release. I have so much to say, but need to let my excitement chill and write a really good post on the poll thread.
I have tons of surround discs, and to have this in my collection is spiritual man. I don't want to move on, I have listened to the same 10 songs 2 stereos, 1 Quad, 1 5.1 and 1 Atmos, and as I write, another Atmos spin.
I have done this before on other surround releases and have been sick of the music when done, but this, I just want to keep listening over and over.

If there is any way to get other TYA's and you need help, I'll be there man. I hate to even say that, as it sounds like I want to move on, I am quite happy with A Space In Time, released as perfect as possible.
Great job to all who financed and put this together.
This will go down as one of the top surround releases, ever.
BTW, I have not mentioned my experience, I like the 5.1 better than the 4.0 and I like The Dolby Atmos better than the 5.1.
Both stereo's are great, just different, maybe a hair better the 2023 stereo remix.
I will reveal more later, as I said, in the poll.

Mine has been there since last Monday. They finally moved it to Bedford Park this morning! Shouldn't be long now. Hope yours is on the move too!
Mine too was released from Chicago customs, late last night. I don't really know what that means....I assume it's still in Chicago for another several days. lol

Last two days have been sunny (and finally dry) bliss in Southern Cali. Well, chilly as can be, but sunny and nice. Perfect for an early spring late afternoon and evening listening sessions. And my copies arrived. Only listened to the 4.0 thus far and so delighted that we got this with fixed channels. But I really liked the DTS DVD, and found it to be one of the best DTS discs I'd heard. So This is kind of the fixed upgrade, or final upgrade of an already darn good disc.

We are still in the "golden age of modern surround releases" on physical disc. Every time it looks bleak and we're running out of steam something earthshaking comes out. Our glass is more than half full.

Last edited:
I gotta say that we as listeners of good recordings, and those top tier classic rock albums kind of lucked out that 1971 - 1975 era of music was when quad mixing went into over-drive. Sure there are the fake-quasi-quads, very special albums that did not get a quad mx, some duds with no hits got a quad mix, but overall, the choice pickings, the cream of the 70s top is loaded with tons of wonderful albums that just held up over time, and are available in surround.

After one play of the quad TYA (5.1 later), I'm going to give Beck's "Wired" another play in quad, with no center, no sub on. Keep some variety in rotation.

Back