Ten Years After "A Space In Time" (limited-run SDE Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos, 5.1, and Quad shipping 3/17)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi friends... Slightly unexpectedly (we thought it would be next week) Ten Years After is now back in stock on the SDE shop. The second run is of 1000 units but I should warn you that 200 of those have gone in the last hour. These have 'second edition' written above the barcode on the back, to differentiate from the first issue. They will still come with the slipcase as before.

Stock for The Hurting has also arrive for shipping next week and so there's a small restock on that as well!

Surround Sound – theSDEshop.com
Thank you so much for the notice!! I was finally able to snag one, after being too slow to order one from the first batch.

Yes, definitely - for me, the Tubular Bells disc, I've got the Brian Eno disc. It certainly looks though, like it's not going to happen with either one...
Well that's dissapointing. I get they don't want to press up more of these than they think they can sell, but when they are mostly all selling out before they are even released, it seems pretty clear the runs are too small.

Or is there another reason beside expected-sales that the runs are limited?

Shakespears Sister didn’t sell out and is still available. As is George Harrison.
TFF, TYA and Suede are still available if you act fast.

Shakespears Sister didn’t sell out and is still available. As is George Harrison.
TFF, TYA and Suede are still available if you act fast.
Suede was gone and I thought I missed it and then more showed up? So I grabbed it.

Shakespears Sister -- too bad that one hasn't had more action (or maybe they just had a larger initial run?) Great album. My 2nd favorite so far of the SDE series after "The Tipping Point".

Sure. I'd just figure the rights holders would want to sell as many as possible as well.
Things don't always make sense. Groups have endless arguments after breakups and can't agree anything big. Record companies want to protect their streaming rights and see physical sales as eating into them, or have some plans for the future and don't want to saturate the market. But if you say "it's only 5000 copies" or whatever the figure agreed is, suddenly they don't see those numbers as a threat to their business model or future unannounced plans.

Well that's dissapointing. I get they don't want to press up more of these than they think they can sell, but when they are mostly all selling out before they are even released, it seems pretty clear the runs are too small.

Or is there another reason beside expected-sales that the runs are limited?
It's interesting that you usually see the 'Notify me if you get some more' button on the item page if it's sold out. With Tubular Bells, the page was taken down, so I guess that's a statement right there. Brian Eno's order page is still up with the button showing. So if you hit that notification button, you're voting for more - so there's a chance for more copies of that one if enough people do it.

It's interesting that you usually see the 'Notify me if you get some more' button on the item page if it's sold out. With Tubular Bells, the page was taken down, so I guess that's a statement right there. Brian Eno's order page is still up with the button showing. So if you hit that notification button, you're voting for more - so there's a chance for more copies of that one if enough people do it.
I’d be ok with that. I’m happy with the older 5.1 of Tubular Bells. Mostly just want it now to complete the SDE set. :)

Things don't always make sense. Groups have endless arguments after breakups and can't agree anything big. Record companies want to protect their streaming rights and see physical sales as eating into them, or have some plans for the future and don't want to saturate the market. But if you say "it's only 5000 copies" or whatever the figure agreed is, suddenly they don't see those numbers as a threat to their business model or future unannounced plans.
In my case, having no idea of how much it is representative of the market trend, I decided to subscribe to Apple Music and bought an Apple TV 4K when the first Atmos singles of Peter Gabriel I/O began to appear.

If I would have been able to buy the I/O Atmos Blu-ray, perhaps, I don't know, I would be still waiting for Apple Music.

I just ordered A Space...Time, Turn of a Friendly Card and Ammonia Ave. I let Space get by me before- not again. Turn of a Friendly Card was a no brainer, as one of my favorite APP titles, and Ammonia Ave just to go along for the ride.

Thank You for the update that more were available.

Chris

I compared the older DVD-V with the newer BluRay disc of the quad mix. The newer BD does sound cleaner and better to my ears. I get the feeling that they did a fresh new transfer from analog for this later issue (topic of this discussion) and did not use a rip of the DTS DVD. That is a relief to me as I was going to have to seek out that older DVD to have in the collection. Certain titles I want a hard copy of even if I have long since gotten the files on an out of print and pricy disc. Btw, prices have recently come back down to earth on that DVD.

Last edited:
I tried a null test using both versions of "Change The World" ripped to 24/48 4.0 WAVs (the old DVD version had to be lowered 9.5 dB to match the new Blu-Ray) and they came pretty close to completely cancelling out. Toggling between them using the 'X-OR' solo mode yields nearly indistinguishable results as well.

I still credit SDE for going the extra mile and including the quad mix - it's not like they were obligated to do so - even though it's (apparently) not lossless and/or a new remaster.
I see this (or hear this I mean) as apparently or possibly lossless and a new remaster. but from the same tape transfer. Tape transfers and mastering or not the same thing. But anyway, great detective work there.

Back