Test Pressings (any Quad system)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfbkfb

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I didn't see a section for Test Pressings, so...

From the Demo Quality CD-4 LP thread:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ur-go-to-surround-demo-quality-cd-4-lp.13247/

DarrellJ - Post #9 - April 7, 2012:
^^^
One of the best kept secrets of CD-4: test pressing of "Dark Side of the Moon".
I have one of the 4 known to exist CD-4 disc of Dark Side of the Moon in my collection...

Anyone know of other test pressings?

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
There have been quite a few CD-4 test pressings that have surfaced on eBay over the years. I don't recall anyone ever listing them all. I think I might have one, don't recall the title. I'll look for it.

Why not post a picture of the DSOTM. I am sure the gang would love to see it. (I would!)

Last edited:
i imagine, due to his position/status, DarrellJ would have a number of CD-4 test pressings in his possession?

i'm thinking things along the lines of those CD-4 Quad test pressings he listed on Discogs, such as Styx "The Grand Illuison", War "The World Is A Ghetto", Jethro Tull's "Minstrel In The Gallery" etc.

https://www.discogs.com/War-The-World-Is-A-Ghetto/release/8542932

https://www.discogs.com/Jethro-Tull-Minstrel-In-The-Gallery/release/8163019

https://www.discogs.com/Styx-The-Grand-Illusion/release/7913289

some of you here have probably noticed this one already, which has been lingering on eBay for sale for some time without shifting.

it appears it was a test press pulled for the addition of Quad remix engineer credit purposes? ironic seeing as it has one of the most bizarre (and that's being kind!) Quad mixes I've ever heard.

i note the record itself didn't have far to travel, having come from the Santa Maria pressing plant which is also where the eBay seller is based!

tbh i doubt there's anything unique about the actual disc contents as distinct from the retail product.. but its still kinda cool though, isn't it!?

iPRoRqG.jpeg

1gsyW7t.jpeg

GfG3ifF.jpeg

0zN3XVr.jpeg

Here's the one I was thinking of when I said I had one. I don't remember much about it, or why it's different than the original release. One of the last WEA Quadradiscs for sure.

I probably bought it during my eBay buying frenzy around the turn of the century. Ah, good times - when eBay was fun and sellers and buyers actually got along and did not try to steal from each other.

Label 2.jpg

Label 1.jpg

The one quad test pressing I would love to see must be the CBS Labs test of :

Wendy Carlos - A Clockwork Orange CD-4

Audio magazine U.S. got to audition 3 CD-4 CBS discs , lucky buggers !!

-but an SQ encode of that particular disc (although it likely does not exist ) would be nice as well.

I often wonder what other test discs CBS Labs created in quad , besides the two Wendy Carlos in CD-4 and others in both SQ and CD-4.

Here are some I know of

CARLY SIMON -Hotcakes. Elektra RL-1885 (CD4) [Test Pressing]
CARLY SIMON -Hotcakes. Elektra RL-1885 (CD4) [Tset Pressing]c.jpg

DIANA ROSS -Live at Caesars Palace. Motown RL-1881-2Q (CD4) [Test Pressing]
DIANA ROSS -Live at Caesars Palace. Motown RL-1881-2Q (CD4) [Test Pressing]c.JPG

STEPHEN MICHAEL SCHWARTZ -For Experimental Use Only Mastered with RCA Quadulator Ortofon Dss-733 Cutter RL 1890 CD-4 QuadraDisc
STEPHEN MICHAEL SCHWARTZ -For Experimental Use Only Mastered with RCA Quadulator Ortofon Dss-7...jpg

Last edited:
Here is a picture of Carole King - Fantasy, I believe it to be QS.
Weird how I got it. I saw it on ebay and somebody else got it. Then a local guy was advertising that he had some quads for sale
so I went to his place and surprise surprise he had that very record.

Attachments

• CK_quad_test.JPG
    CK_quad_test.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 334
There are currently two test pressings listed online right now as being Quad test pressings, but the labels make no mention of Quad so I'm wondering if the claim is accurate. Do we know whether Specialty pressed CD-4 LPs?

Carly Simon - Specialty.jpg

Tony Orlando - Specialty.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a picture of Carole King - Fantasy, I believe it to be QS.
Weird how I got it. I saw it on ebay and somebody else got it. Then a local guy was advertising that he had some quads for sale
so I went to his place and surprise surprise he had that very record.
Released as CD-4 in Japan, if that copy is QS it must be very rare. Have you confirmed if it's QS or CD-4?

Those are probably legit, as they say EQ-1033 and EQ-1034 on the labels

As for Fantasy, that was a Japan only CD-4, not QS

According to an article in Billboard - JUNE 22-1974 Pg 6

10 CD-4 Test recordings were made for various labels at the JVC Cutting Center. Apart from a Jerry Lee Lewis test pressing-

" they also cut test pressings for uncommitted CD-4'S .

Such as ABC/Dunhill , Impulse , A&M , and Phonogram."

----------------

Jerry Lee Lewis is likely the Phongram lp that was released in Japan , but no specific titles for the other labels are provided.

According to an article in Billboard - JUNE 22-1974 Pg 6

10 CD-4 Test recordings were made for various labels at the JVC Cutting Center. Apart from a Jerry Lee Lewis test pressing-

" they also cut test pressings for uncommitted CD-4'S .

Such as ABC/Dunhill , Impulse , A&M , and Phonogram."

----------------

Jerry Lee Lewis is likely the Phongram lp that was released in Japan , but no specific titles for the other labels are provided.

Wow! 😳 ABC/Dunhill. I still believe they had some of the best Quad mixes of the time and to know they were considering CD-4.... that's pretty wild. Boggles the mind to know what those titles were - I would imagine previously released stuff, but who knows? There are a few titles from the ABC/Dunhill catalog that have been rumoured or were known to have existed at one point in time that would be awesome to hear.

Also :

There is a small article in Billboard that states both Polydor and EMI are testing CD-4 .(Billboard March 10 1973 page 1 ) Might have been at the European cutting plant with those 2 labels .

EMI is a bit of a surprise(I think so anyways) and I have to wonder how many they cut .

-------But it would seem @kfbkfb 's DSOTM CD-4 would be one.------

Back