Testers Wanted! Twitch Live Streaming in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerfo

Hi there, folks! I'm currently testing a Twitch livestream in 5.1 surround and am looking for some other folks to test it out for me. I've confirmed that it works on my Windows 10 PC using the Chrome browser connected to a Marantz SR5012 receiver, as well as a Mac Mini (not sure of the OS level - perhaps High Sierra?) connected to a different SR5012 receiver using the Safari browser. If you have a few free moments and a surround system connected to some device that can handle a Twitch stream, would you mind seeing if it works on your end? Here's the link:

Link to Twitch 5.1 Test Stream

[NOTE: I've edited the above link so that it should work correctly for everybody. Fast forward to the 18 minute mark to skip over some testing and bug fixing.]

You should hear:

Lead / rhythm guitar - front L&R channels
Ambient guitar - Rear L&R channels
Vocals / talkbox - center channel
Bass - center and sub channels

There's also various bits of multichannel delay and reverb here and there. Let me know if you hear the discrete channels and if they're in the places where they should be.

The audio is from a recent stereo livestream that I did. Assuming that this works for a good number of people, I plan on doing some live 5.1 jams in the near future.

Thanks a lot for your help!

- Jerfo

Last edited:
Quick update: the livestream is over, but the replay is available for the next couple weeks here: . Fast forward to roughly around the 18 minute mark, which is where the channels get sent to the correct places.

The forum seems to really have trouble with Twitch links, so try twitch.tv SLASH videos SLASH 854212948 if the embedded link doesn't work.

Last edited:
Quick update: the livestream is over, but the replay is available for the next couple weeks here: . Fast forward to roughly around the 15 minute mark, which is where the channels get sent to the correct places.

I've confirmed that the replay works on a 2014 Mac Mini running Big Sur, connected to a Marantz SR5013, running Safari. Woot!

Here's another attempt at posting the link: Link to Twitch 5.1 Test Stream

Just stereo in Firefox, all speakers work in Chrome but your voice is in the rears and the center has just some bleed. Too impatient, seems to be working from the 15 minute mark in Chrome.

Last edited:
Just stereo in Firefox, all speakers work in Chrome but your voice is in the rears and the center has just some bleed.
Thanks a lot for testing! I did some testing of channel pairs around the 15-16 minute mark of the video. If you have the time, could you listen back to that part and let me know what things are getting routed to your front / rear / center / sub?

I find it really interesting how differently the browsers are behaving on each operating system.

- Jerfo

Thanks a lot for testing! I did some testing of channel pairs around the 15-16 minute mark of the video. If you have the time, could you listen back to that part and let me know what things are getting routed to your front / rear / center / sub?

I find it really interesting how differently the browsers are behaving on each operating system.

- Jerfo

Still listening, everything is coming from the speakers you say it should come from. This with Chrome on a Windows 10 pc played to Onkyo TX-NR808 through hdmi.
:51QQ

I just noticed you video from 3 days ago with the microphone test, in both 4.0 and 5.1 sub/center outputs seem to be swapped with the rear channel outputs. The music on your latest video seems to have the correct channel assignments.
Thanks for checking those out. I had a tough time troubleshooting the other day. My main listening PC was only giving me the front two speakers, so I thought that the problem was with my OBS Studio software or with Twitch and not my PC. Once I figured out what was up with my PC this afternoon, I discovered the incorrect channel assignments within OBS.

Thanks for checking those out. I had a tough time troubleshooting the other day. My main listening PC was only giving me the front two speakers, so I thought that the problem was with my OBS Studio software or with Twitch and not my PC. Once I figured out what was up with my PC this afternoon, I discovered the incorrect channel assignments within OBS.
I was still able to confirm that the 5.1 down-mixes to 4.0 as it should.

I have it working on a Windows 10 PC connected to my Denon receiver, it took a bit of fiddling around with the settings on the PC, I turned down the Fronts, Centre & Sub to get the best mix.
settings.jpg

I've confirmed that the replay works on a 2014 Mac Mini running Big Sur, connected to a Marantz SR5013, running Safari. Woot!

Here's another attempt at posting the link: Link to Twitch 5.1 Test Stream

I have successfully tested and I can hear right 5.1 to the right speaker channels in following systems:

- Windows 10 (Chrome, Vivaldi, Edge, Internet Explorer) + hdmi + Yamaha RX-V463
- Fire TV 4K (twitch app) + Denon 8500

With Firefox browser on Windows 10 I CANNOT get any sound. Didn't check browser settings. I don't use that browser.

With Fire TV 4K (twitch app) it works well but when I fast forward the video and play again I lost the sound. Nothing sounds until I rest (clear cache) the app and start again the video from the beginning. Dont know if that would be a problem with the app in Fire TV 4K

Back