Tetrasound 101 - Precursor to the TATE

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how the clean up project is going for Jon? Hmmm...

BILBO CABLES.jpg

I wonder how the clean up project is going for Jon? Hmmm...

It has taken a turn for the worse. Wife fell and dislocated her shoulder, and fractured her arm in 2 places. So, obviously, I've been back and forth to the hospital and doctors for the past few days. And will be the "Nurse in Attendance" for the near future.

Wonderful, eh?

So, that's why I've been sorta absent here, and not really paying attention to upmixing/upmixes or any other thing I do that takes time. Kinda sucks. :(

It has taken a turn for the worse. Wife fell and dislocated her shoulder, and fractured her arm in 2 places. So, obviously, I've been back and forth to the hospital and doctors for the past few days. And will be the "Nurse in Attendance" for the near future.

Wonderful, eh?

So, that's why I've been sorta absent here, and not really paying attention to upmixing/upmixes or any other thing I do that takes time. Kinda sucks. :(

Oh crap Jon. I'm really sorry to hear about this. Now I feel bad about goofy post. I hope the best for your wife's speedy & full recovery. A similar thing happened to my wife a few Halloweens ago. As for Nurse in Attendance, well, I'm sure she is in good hands!

Evolution started out as a Quad group called "4Quad". It was run by Jay Frank from California, and quad collectors from around the world joined for a small fee and they put out a newsletter, monthly I think. It's where I first connected with folks like Mr' Flaquad up there, along with Mike Robin, Gerhard Thilgen, Tad Bartel, Larry Clifton, Brian Moura, Nick Perugini, and many others I can no longer remember.

"4Quad" evolved into "Evolution" and eventually Jay was a big dealer in LaserDiscs and A/V stuff. Not sure what he's up to now, but he was an important person in keeping the Quad fires burning after the deluge.
Brad and I did demos for the Mill (which they sold) at Franks place which is still running strong in Thousand Oaks. WHY EVOLUTION AUDIO & VIDEO? - Evolution Audio & Video

My tetra died after a few years and i found several Tates including a silver on a small -maybe 5 inch by 8 audio selling magazine. Can't remember the name. It is how we found gear back in the day. Anyone remember the name???

My tetra died after a few years and i found several Tates including a silver on a small -maybe 5 inch by 8 audio selling magazine. Can't remember the name. It is how we found gear back in the day. Anyone remember the name???
Quad Quarterly later renamed MCS (Multi-Channel-Sound) Review. Larry Clifton originally published the Bible "Quad Incorporated", then the quarterly magazine. He hasn't posted here for years, I always wonder what became of him.

No, this was everything. All kinds of gear. If you found quad stuff you were looking.

Quad Quarterly later renamed MCS (Multi-Channel-Sound) Review. Larry Clifton originally published the Bible "Quad Incorporated", then the quarterly magazine. He hasn't posted here for years, I always wonder what became of him.
The link to Larry's website for quad and Ambisonic recordings is not working. Although the site has not been updated in years I hope all is well and he just closed the store

I bought my Fosgate Tate 101a through Larry. He supplied a great Quad service through his quarterly publication .
I miss his posts on QQ . He was always full of valuable quad information ! Both historic and current.

His last post was Mar 5, 2006
A while back I noticed Larry's sound shop & lack of presence here on the forum. It might sound gruesome but I did an obit search for him in Capron, VA & fortunately came up with nothing.

I remember when I was contributing to his pubs I purchased a new SOTA Brother dot matrix word processor. As I have zero typing skills the little LCD window gave me a 16 character buffer to check for mistakes. No spell check, just a spell delay. I wanted to make it as good as I could to send off to him & I tried to get my drawings as professional as I could. Little did I know that each & every bit of it had to be transferred by Larry on an IBM Selectric to get it printer (ink on paper) ready. And resize my drawings on a Xerox so he could rubber cement them into the layout.

The stuff we all went through just share & advance our passion for surround sound. And I'll point out some very good contributions by @par4ken!

Here are Tetrasound pamphlets found on Steve Kennedy's Audionics S&IC site.
The Tetra I sounds a lot like his "Gavotte II", which used his "360 Degree Space Matrix"technology, with separation that was on the same level as the Tate. It was supposed to be compatible with Pro Logic, and was clearly RM-based. I had one of these units in a Honda Civic Hatchback, and it was amazing in its ability to make that little car sound bigger than a limousine. I can't say for sure what year this unit became available, I just wish I still had it.

Larry is still around. I get a Christmas card from him every year. I do not know why he didn't stay on here. From his last correspondence, I recall that he moved to a new place. Larry is a special guy who holds a very large place in the history of Quadraphonics.

The Tetra I sounds a lot like his "Gavotte II", which used his "360 Degree Space Matrix"technology, with separation that was on the same level as the Tate. It was supposed to be compatible with Pro Logic, and was clearly RM-based. I had one of these units in a Honda Civic Hatchback, and it was amazing in its ability to make that little car sound bigger than a limousine. I can't say for sure what year this unit became available, I just wish I still had it.
I have a Gavotte, put away for possible future use. Yes it seems to be very much RM based. I tested it out in my home system (it just needs 12 volts. Like the involve it could use a pre-synth circuit to throw more sound to the rear. More available here GAVOTTE Jim Fosgate's PRO-PLUS surround processor, digiital space matrix 2 avail | eBay
Another one model 2, the picture reveals two mystery modules! GAVOTTE Jim Fosgate's PRO-PLUS surround processor, SECOND addition. | eBay

Last edited:
Larry is still around. I get a Christmas card from him every year. I do not know why he didn't stay on here. From his last correspondence, I recall that he moved to a new place. Larry is a special guy who holds a very large place in the history of Quadraphonics.
I too used to get a Christmas card from him, great news that he is still around. Maybe he can be coaxed back into posting again.

I bought loads of quad records from him, too, when I was stationed in remote places while in the Air Force. Never a problem.

Back