Tetrasound 101 - Precursor to the TATE

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Edit: It was little known but an option on the Fosgate T II was to lose the tape out put jacks & have a choice of center front & back, or center left & right out put instead. I ordered a black unit with Cf/Cb. I forget exactly but something was damaged or not functioning so I sent it back. What I received back was a silver unit with out the extra chs. Oh, well, at least it worked!
Kind of an old thread, and maybe the wrong one. I bought a Tate II before the holidays, it wasn't operating correctly, so I sent it off to Bob Popham. I read the available mod that @Sonik Wiz mentioned and thought the mod mine has is interesting:

20220208_201731.jpg

Bob P thought maybe Jim Fosgate had custom built it for somebody.

I just got the Tate back last week and I spent the weekend on a crazy binge of Tate, QSD-1 and SMv3. I must have listened to Herbie Hancock Future Shock alone, 50 times, each album track through a different decoder each time. I listened to others, but that one hit the mark. It was an extremely entertaining binge. The Tate is a really nice piece, very fun.

Well, I figured I could always ask Bob to bring it back to standard, but I thought I'd give it a whirl. And actually, been enjoying. I forgot to ask Bob what the cutoff frequency is. I am curious about that. My sub provides the bass and the rears are really clean. In "surround" mode, it puts a lot back there. Not sure if that is typical for a standard unit either....no previous experience with the Tate. It through me off when I first got it going, with so much in the rears. But, been enjoying that too, and Cinema mode brings things forward again, much more similar to the QSD-1 and SM.

Ultimately, rather than make it standard again, I'd like to get another and compare the two. I kind of like the notion that Fosgate may have customized one (Bob said Jim scratched his signature on one of the boards, unusual according to him), and more importantly, to have a great excuse to need another one. I better start looking right away....

Back