Thank you all for the welcome, this is my first post. Hope I am doing things in the correct manner.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philips Quad

I have inherited a Tuner Amp, the Quad Philips 22RH720, a 4 track AKAI tape recorder and four very nice speaker cabinets all bought simultaneously by my parents in the 70s and all in perfect working order. They have not been used since. I tested the receiver fm radio with the speakers recently and they sound great.
I compose music on Sibelius Software, in case you are not familiar with Sibelius it is a Notation program for composing music on virtual instruments; it can export projects in as many separate tracks as you like. What I would like to do is to hear my compositions through the quadraphonic set.
I have considered exportinging the wav files from Sibelius to a Digital WorkStation, a DAW; I have Reaper, in Reaper reducing the many tracks to four tracks.
Here is where I need your advice.
I would like to connect a Tablet or Android cellphone with the 4 track file to the Philips 22RH720.
I understand I need either a software or hardware encoder to feed the signal to the Philips 22RH720 so that it will separate and reproduce the 4 tracks correctly one track to each speaker. I understand I also need to know what type of encoding my receiver amp requires.
I have searched the internet but encoders are absurdly expensive, I have not been able to find Quad encoding software. Furthermore not having any knowledge of electronics I am lost as to how to connect everything.
Please help. Thank you.

There are free software tools for converting files like WAV or whatever you need. Also free playback tools for computer. At least for Windows. Not sure about a phone or tablet playback in Multi-Channel.

Other members here will chime in with ideas and suggestions.

There are external boxes that have Quad output that you can connect to your Quad system using a Mac or Windows computer. Check out this thread:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/4-channel-input-to-pc-suggestion.29994/

Welcome to the forum. I am confident you will find the help you need here. It sounds like you inherited some great vintage gear. Here are some starting thoughts for you. I'm sure others will drop in soon and expand on what I say.

Here is a link to a page showcasing your Philips Reciever. Is this the unit? Very cool looking vintage gear. Very European.

The reciever is only capable of accepting analog signals. I think you know that already.

If you have connected speakers to it and played them as you said, you have already encountered the special plugs needed to make the speaker connections. Do not loose those plugs.

The way signals get into the reciever, like from the AKAI, seems to be the DIN jacks on the rear. Do you have those plugs as well? Can you see how you would connect the AKAI to the Phillips?

The reason I ask is because you will need to get a multi channel DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) to interface with the Phillips reciever I believe this is what you are calling an "encoder". If we were talking about stereo, it would be a simple matter. Multichannel is more difficult to do.

DACs are integrated in several different types of equipment Since you compose music, you may be more interested in a pro style DAC as might be used in a studio. There are also multichannel DACs in some disk players like OPPOs. They are also in common modern recievers. You just need to make sure whatever equipment you choose to convert the digital signal offers a way to make the connections needed. Do you have a budget you can spend?

To do stereo from your phone you need the proper cable and adapters to get from your phone's headphone outut jack to those DIN connectors on the back of the reciever. 6 pin DIN to 1/8 inch stereo mini plug? Any suggestions from our European members?

Also, with vintage equipment, age takes its toll. Especially with items like the rubber belts inside the AKAI tape player and the surrounds on the speaker woofer cones (if you can see them). They can dry out and crumble apart. So check those items. The belts can be replaced and the woofer cones can be refoamed if needed as well.

There is lots more. Enjoy the journey.

Hi welcome to the forum
I've checked and sadly, the Philips 22RH720 is a normal stereo, not a quad, receiver. It does have an "ambio 4" position on the speaker selector which may have led you to believe that it was a quad receiver. However, this switch position simply connects the second pair of speakers in anti-phase across the 2 ch stereo amplifier. This is a way of connecting 4 speakers to a 2 ch amplifier that extracts some reverberant and ambient sounds from a stereo signal, and can sound quite pleasant on some types of material, but it is not performing quadraphonic decoding as such. As it does not have four amplifiers or a decoder there is no way to connect quadraphonic source material to this unit and play it back in 4 channels I'm afraid.
I think the only true quadraphonic component Philips released was the RH832 Music Centre, a curious tuner/turntable/ 4 ch preamp combination fitted with an SQ decoder -
RH832 Music Centre.JPG

Last edited:
I've checked and sadly, the Philips 22RH720 is a normal stereo, not a quad, receiver. It does have an "ambio 4" position on the speaker selector which may have led you to believe that it was a quad receiver. However, this switch position simply connects the second pair of speakers in anti-phase across the 2 ch stereo amplifier. This is a way of connecting 4 speakers to a 2 ch amplifier that extracts some reverberant and ambient sounds from a stereo signal, and can sound quite pleasant on some types of material, but it is not performing quadraphonic decoding as such. As it does not have four amplifiers or a decoder there is no way to connect quadraphonic source material to this unit and play it back in 4 channels I'm afraid.
Yes. After looking at it more closely I agree. Too bad. Apparently the 4 track recorder wasn't being used for quad playback.

The bright side is the OP can get it playing stereo from his phone relatively easily. Either through the headphone jack on the phone or through a Bluetooth adapter. You'll still need the proper cabling however to get past those DIN plugs. Something like this might work. But it looks like there are 6 pins on those receiver jacks. I don't understand the center pin.

Very disappointed but I think you are all very probably quite right. It isn't Quadraphonic but some sort of imitation. 50 years I thought it was quad, I'm sure my father also thought so, hence the 4 large speaker cabinets strategically positioned near each corner of our 1970s music room and the 4 track tape recorder. The very ornate wood speaker cabinets are not Philips but AKAI and neither the tuner amp or its manual mention Quadraphonics anywhere. I don't know what path to follow now. Two possibilities: I could cheque the state of speakers and tape deck drive belts, hook it all up as it was and enjoy the old tapes and longplay's. (There is also a Garrard record player.) Definitely also buying the cable on Amazon to be able to play music from the cellphone.
I could also forget the Philips 22RH720 and buy a new modern 4 channel amp.

I wonder if this rather suspiciously inexpensive Tuner Amp is realy high fidelity and strong enough to drive the 4 large AKAI cabinets? I have not opened them yet but I'm pretty sure the woofers are 12 inch.

4 Channel Wireless Bluetooth Amplifier - 3000 Watt Stereo Speaker Home Audio Receiver w/ FM Radio, USB, 2 Microphone w/ Echo for Karaoke, Front Loading CD DVD Player, LED, Rack Mount - Pyle PD3000BA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PCWTBFS/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_fabc_YAN9T7HAJ5T1QZ06EZPW?psc=1.

I hope someone can recommend an adequate, not too expensive new 4 channel amp that would suit my needs. (I don't really need the tuner though I have nothing against having one, I do prefer internet radio)
I would much appreciate any advice.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Very disappointed but I think you are all very probably quite right. It isn't Quadraphonic but some sort of imitation. 50 years I thought it was quad, I'm sure my father also thought so, hence the 4 large speaker cabinets strategically positioned near each corner of our 1970s music room and the 4 track tape recorder. The very ornate wood speaker cabinets are not Philips but AKAI and neither the tuner amp or its manual mention Quadraphonics anywhere. I don't know what path to follow now. Two possibilities: I could cheque the state of speakers and tape deck drive belts, hook it all up as it was and enjoy the old tapes and longplay's. (There is also a Garrard record player.) Definitely also buying the cable on Amazon to be able to play music from the cellphone.
I could also forget the Philips 22RH720 and buy a new modern 4 channel amp.

I wonder if this rather suspiciously inexpensive Tuner Amp is realy high fidelity and strong enough to drive the 4 large AKAI cabinets? I have not opened them yet but I'm pretty sure the woofers are 12 inch.

4 Channel Wireless Bluetooth Amplifier - 3000 Watt Stereo Speaker Home Audio Receiver w/ FM Radio, USB, 2 Microphone w/ Echo for Karaoke, Front Loading CD DVD Player, LED, Rack Mount - Pyle PD3000BA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PCWTBFS/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_fabc_YAN9T7HAJ5T1QZ06EZPW?psc=1.

I hope someone can recommend an adequate, not too expensive new 4 channel amp that would suit my needs. (I don't really need the tuner though I have nothing against having one, I do prefer internet radio)
I would much appreciate any advice.
Thank you.
I believe that is also a stereo unit that allows you to power 4 speakers. I'm not even convinced it truly has 4 amps in it. And the brand is very low end.

You need something more like one of these. You only need 5.1 channels for what you want to do. The refurbished models might suit your budget better.

Have you tried the "stereo 4" setting? Even though it might not be a genuine decoder still might be neat just to try out for fun, you could record a composition and down mix it to 2ch with the "rear channel sounds" in reverse phase, might get some sound movement.

I believe that is also a stereo unit that allows you to power 4 speakers. I'm not even convinced it truly has 4 amps in it. And the brand is very low end.

You need something more like one of these. You only need 5.1 channels for what you want to do. The refurbished models might suit your budget better.

I agree. That Pyle thing you looked at is not a real 4 channel amp, it looks as though it is just a stereo amp with connections for two sets of speakers. The claims made for it are very dubious. Avoid it at all costs and go for a reputable make.

Last edited:
I see know that really good sound equipment is still expensive, I have not bought any seriously good music equipment since I bought my M-Audio EX66 active reference monitors in 2011 and my Sennheiser HD 600 Open Back Professional Headphones in 2014. I have not felt the need for more. The Quadraphonic idea was based on the assumption I had a quad amp, now it does not really make sense anymore. I do plan however on listening to Quad amps including the amp recomended, I believe really good equipment should be listened to live before buying. My wife and I are still in strict seclusion so that will have to wait. In the meantime I will buy the necessary cables to hook up and enjoy the amp tape and speakers ocationaly. I thank you all for the vital and decisive information.

Hallo again everyone, I hope it is OK to reopen an old conversation.

I bought and tried the 5 pin DIN to 35mm Jack cable from AMAZON, it works on the phono, monitor and tape inputs but the sound is disappointing. In comparison with the sound of the receiver on an FM station, the volume is about 1/6th and the sound is nowhere near as crisp, so much so that it is really not worth listening to, I prefer to continue listening to wav files on my tablet, cell phone and PC through good earphones.

I am refinishing the wood finish in the four AKAI speaker cabinets.
The sound of the Philips receiver and the 4 AKAI speakers might not be the best, but it is certainly impressive and extremely powerful which I very much enjoy. I don't get tired of listening to music on this set which is I feel the ultimate quality test.

As to my purchase of a true quad amp I have been considering the following: Since monoblocks .ie. 2 monophonic amplifiers are considered better for stereo than an integrated stereo amplifier, I imagine 4 monoblocks would be better for Quadraphonics than an integrated quad amp. I have been toying with the idea of buying 4 monoblocks in kit form which can be a lot less expensive than buying them ready built. I imagine some kind of 4 track preamp or soundcard would be necessary to split the wav. file sound and send one track to each monoblock. I need the expert opinion of forum members on this perhaps crazy idea; I would like advice on what I would need besides the 4 mono amps and how to connect them. Thanks in advance.

As mentioned before I compose music, I am not a professional by a long shot, so no surprise if most people won't want to listen to my eccentric non pro compositions. I have recently uploaded some waltzes which are short pieces and hopefully as fun to listen to as it was fun writing them. I wish to share my music site with members of this forum as a token of appreciation for the kind words of guidance and advice.

http://thelevitatingpiano.simplesite.com

Back