The adventures of GOS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gene, so sorry to hear of the tragic flooding that has befallen your family and local community. Glad to hear that your family is well and not homeless and that Lamar is well. I trust that your kids and granddaughter escaped this disaster and are doing well. My heart’s out to you, your loved ones and your community. I’m surprised that I didn’t hear anything about this on the national news but then weather events like this are sadly becoming commonplace around the globe.

I’m also absolutely certain that you never wanted to have this much in common with Brian May who, as you probably know, also recently had his own basement flood disaster.

I was part of the Hurricane Katrina relief effort (my part was on the supply end here) and friends who went to Louisiana told me what needs to be done quickly after a flood:

- Once the water is out of a structure, get lots of air in there. Use fans, heaters, and open windows. If the wooden components of the house are not dried out quickly, they will rot. Do this as soon as possible.

- If wall coverings are keeping moving air from reaching structural members, remove them.

- Make sure that no water is any part of the electrical system before re-energizing it. If the service panel and service drop are intact and are completely above the flood, circuits that were flooded must be turned off while circuits that were not flooded can be turned on.

- Make sure any gas supply is turned off if an automatic gas burner is submerged in flood waters. It could release gas that could cause an explosion.

What a nightmare. Sorry this happened to you and your family. Our house was damaged in the February Texas freeze, resulting in the ceiling in our kitchen caving in. Repairs are still in process and right now we don't have a kitchen. My wife complains a lot about our house being under construction, so I showed her your messages here. "See how much worse we could have it?", I asked. She agreed.
Let us know if there is any way we can help.

Just talking out loud here....

So, last Thursday morning, wife and I left at 5AM for Gatlinburg, Tennessee. We get about half way down and start getting text messages that there are big storms lining up in my small home town. OK, fine. I start watching the radar on my cell phone and see that torrential rains are sitting over my home, and keep regenerating. Over and over.

Knowing I have a basement and a sump-pump, I get a bit nervous. Then, we get a call from our neighbor who is watching our cats and she says the power just went out. (It remained out for 5 hours) Now, I'm shitting bricks, because if our sump pump can't run, with heavy rains, we get lots of surface drainage that requires our sump pump to get the water out of our basement tile lines.

I'll cut all the drama.

We arrive in Gatlinburg and frantically ask a friend if they can go to our house to see if sump has been running. They tell us the town is flooded and all streets are impassible. The town got 12+ inches of rain in between 2-4 hours. Finally, they get a 4-wheel drive and plow through the water....our basement is flooded, with water literally pouring in. We had 4 foot of water, which would have been much worse had they not began pumping it out with a portable sump. (my neighbor right next to me also has a basement, and he had 9 foot of water (essentially filled it up)

Our little town has been deemed a disaster, and there is actually some relief funds going to be made available. Back to Gatlinburg. Remember, I got up at 4am, and left by 5am on Thursday. After 1 hour at our cabin, we know we have to turn around and go home. I drive, arrive back home at 4:40am, and yes, it's a disaster. We lost everything in our basement. Furnace, hot water heater, washer, dryer, 2 dehumidifiers, dozens of totes with personal items, documents, baby books, 3 crates of my CD/DVD/Blu-ray collection (no, not my prized multi-channel stuff, which I keep upstairs). Tons of clothes, blankets, pillows, christmas stuff, on and on and on.

I never went to bed on Friday and continued to clean up our basement until Friday night...then I finally crashed.

Some lower income housing is a 100% loss. Those were in a lower lying area of town, and flooded the lower floors, literally caving in walls with the flood waters. People are sleeping in the street because they don't have family, and they don't have money. What a mess.

We gutted out basement, and tomorrow the city is going to start picking up peoples damaged stuff and hauling it off.

This is just crazy. Oh, and if you're wondering, no home owners insurance does not cover any of this. Folks in Illinois don't ever even consider specific flood insurance. Which, leaves us out of luck. We'll see what the relief funds are all about. We did have a crew walking the neighborhood today, asking for a list of damaged/lost items per household.
Wow….just saw this…. sorry to hear this happened to you… be well and stay safe…I just hope the authorities help out quite a bit….12” in 2-4 hours?! Man oh man

Whenever I read that thread title, I think of this. Sorry it's so cheezy but it was the best I could do with my laptop

Gos 002.jpg

That sucks GOS, glad no one was hurt. I had to replace my watermain in the spring, insurance didn't cover a penny. I didn't bother adding that rider because it wouldn't have mattered in my case.
I did spend ~$20/year to add flood insurance which basically rolls damaged goods due to flood into my total replacement value for the house.

I used to do the odd basement tearout after a water or sewer backup with a contractor for Insurance Companies.
So I have a little advice , that you might find helpful.

Besides the large fans and dehumidifiers midimagic is referring to , that we always put down in the basement for drying........

We also had a special Deoderizer we used , but also ...and much more importantly we always mopped the floor and sprayed the flooded area with a "Strong Bleach" solution on that concrete floor and in around the wooden studs.
So please make certain this is used in the basement cleanup , Gene.
FWIW: The bleach will prevent "black mold" from forming .

Best of luck with your Basement restoration. And it's nice to know everyone is ok .
Hopefully your Insurance Company or your The Federal Goverment , Disaster Relief Funds can assist in this Disaster.

Yes you'll experience delays in funding , and that's one big headache , but I'm certain you and yours will pull through ok.

I used to do the odd basement tearout after a water or sewer backup with a contractor for Insurance Companies.
So I have a little advice , that you might find helpful.

Besides the large fans and dehumidifiers midimagic is referring to , that we always put down in the basement for drying........

We also had a special Deoderizer we used , but also ...and much more importantly we always mopped the floor and sprayed the flooded area with a "Strong Bleach" solution on that concrete floor and in around the wooden studs.
So please make certain this is used in the basement cleanup , Gene.
FWIW: The bleach will prevent "black mold" from forming .

Best of luck with your Basement restoration. And it's nice to know everyone is ok .
Hopefully your Insurance Company or your The Federal Goverment , Disaster Relief Funds can assist in this Disaster.

Yes you'll experience delays in funding , and that's one big headache , but I'm certain you and yours will pull through ok.
We did apply a fairly large dosage of bleach on the walls and floor, so far. Yes, we do have an industrial strength fan, which is loud and annoying, but man can it blow. This morning we got water heater installed, so now we can take a warm shower. Washer/Dryers are all sold out in the immediate area. I wonder why ;) So, it's going to be a couple weeks before we can get those. And, since a good chunk of our town is in "the same boat", everyone is camping out at the laundry mat. Geez.....no clean clothes. I've worn the same shorts since last Thursday. Ughhhhhh.

We did apply a fairly large dosage of bleach on the walls and floor, so far. Yes, we do have an industrial strength fan, which is loud and annoying, but man can it blow. This morning we got water heater installed, so now we can take a warm shower. Washer/Dryers are all sold out in the immediate area. I wonder why ;) So, it's going to be a couple weeks before we can get those. And, since a good chunk of our town is in "the same boat", everyone is camping out at the laundry mat. Geez.....no clean clothes. I've worn the same shorts since last Thursday. Ughhhhhh.

What a horrible situation, Gene....but in a few weeks it'll all be behind you!

As for your 'dirty' laundry situation:

R.dd277557eeaa84571f3ead9c2dbb8c52

Last edited:
Can't appliances like washers and dryers be completely flushed out with clean water and disinfectant, thoroughly dried, and reused?

Doug

Can't appliances like washers and dryers be completely flushed out with clean water and disinfectant, thoroughly dried, and reused?

Doug
I dunno. I tried over and over to get the washer to come on, but it wouldn't. Same with dehumidifiers, and hot water heater. Our dryer was a hand-me-down, so honestly, I'm ready for new one.

I dunno. I tried over and over to get the washer to come on, but it wouldn't. Same with dehumidifiers, and hot water heater. Our dryer was a hand-me-down, so honestly, I'm ready for new one.

Unfortunately, once the motors and electrical components have been saturated with water, doubtful they'll ever function again. I Wouldn't take a chance!

Back