The adventures of GOS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To say the two or three inches of water I had in my basement in Virginia was a flood would be an exaggeration, but it still caused hundreds of dollars in damage to my carpets, books and furniture. I can’t imagine losing as much as you did. Even “I feel your pain” rings hollow. I hope your insurance covers all the stuff that can be replaced, and that it happens quickly.

My set up is the basement by choice... it makes for a little special area that's all mine. You know, I get a peaceful easy feeling every time I walk in.
So I hope it continues well for you.

Before we had the basement fixed similar to what Jon did, it took on a couple of inches after a heavy rain, soon after we moved in. My LP collection was still in cardboard boxes sitting on the floor & soaked up water like a sponge. I carried them upstairs & spaced them out vertically leaning on the wall to dry out. I left the records in the jacket, IIRC, because knowing they were plastic I was more concerned about the covers. Months later I figured that was a Bad Idea since certainly there must be black mold & musty grunginess on them. But it was the digital age & records was not a top priority. A few years ago I could not deny the urge to play the 1st Boston album that I had only on LP. With a bit of trepidation I pulled it out of the sleeve and it was.... perfect! From my earliest days I always bought good quality plastic LP sleeves & they saved the day being waterproof. So all the water damaged albums had records in them as good as the last time I played them.

Anyways, here's hoping @GOS gets much accomplished rapido so he can get back to grilling soon!
My surround space is in my basement by choice also and it too serves as a great haven and escape from the normalcy of the remainder of my house.

R.d24b9f838cf3a083ea52544854956ed5

And Quite Honestly I Slept Through The Whole Bloody THING!

SHARON !!!!!......there's water from some spouts pourin' water all over in the downstairs !:devilish: , and I'm the......
F**kin "Prince Of Darkness" , so call the Record label , and the FN Tely Show for a Life with The Osbournes film.

My set up is the basement by choice... it makes for a little special area that's all mine. You know, I get a peaceful easy feeling every time I walk in.
So I hope it continues well for you.

Before we had the basement fixed similar to what Jon did, it took on a couple of inches after a heavy rain, soon after we moved in. My LP collection was still in cardboard boxes sitting on the floor & soaked up water like a sponge. I carried them upstairs & spaced them out vertically leaning on the wall to dry out. I left the records in the jacket, IIRC, because knowing they were plastic I was more concerned about the covers. Months later I figured that was a Bad Idea since certainly there must be black mold & musty grunginess on them. But it was the digital age & records was not a top priority. A few years ago I could not deny the urge to play the 1st Boston album that I had only on LP. With a bit of trepidation I pulled it out of the sleeve and it was.... perfect! From my earliest days I always bought good quality plastic LP sleeves & they saved the day being waterproof. So all the water damaged albums had records in them as good as the last time I played them.

Anyways, here's hoping @GOS gets much accomplished rapido so he can get back to grilling soon!

After several experiences with mold, I discovered that mold will not grow on pure vinyl. It grows on shellac and filled vinyllite records, on wet record covers, and (why?) on the labels of RCA records.

I was able to stop mold growth on wet album covers by spraying with Lysol spray.

I never found mold inside the covers unless water had flowed into them.

I have this sign in my basement mancave

View attachment 70287
Women always have food…. :ROFLMAO:

ROTFLMAO! My wife brought a cooler with her on our first date...OK, it was for a day of skiing. There was a snowstorm in the late afternoon and the ride home was much longer than normal, so it was handy having that cooler with snacks and drinks. Another time was a tourist train ride where the engine broke down. The concession stand sold out immediately, but again she had that cooler full of goodies.

Was the "choice" that of the spouse (or maybe a parent)?
The house had a room finished out in the basement that I immediately identified as the home theater space when we moved in. My original thoughts were that the entire family would share and enjoy it together, but it quickly became apparent that my wife and two kids wanted nothing to do with it so it became my space by default and I've loved it since!

Just caught up with this thread, so sorry to hear of your troubles.
You never think about the "what if's" sometimes.
When my sewer main line got clogged I got about 2 foot of water in my basement up in Chicago.
Didn't lose too much but I did have 3 crates of LP's on the floor that got soaked. Got the vinyl dried off and it was fine to play but ruined their value when I went to sell the many collectable ones. That hurt me more than the washer and dryer that got killed and all the rest.
Best of luck with the relief monies and all.

My prayers are with you to overcome this time of adversity without significant hardship. You may feel that you have already reached that point, but be assured that communities have a way of dealing with these disasters, especially in central Illinois. We Illinois people stick together. You are loved.

My town got slapped last night. 4.3” in 3 hours. Only, my basement had NO water. This is looking out my door last night around midnight.

View attachment 72929
Scary deja vu! Really glad no H2O in the basement but I bet you were pretty anxious. I heard from
@J. PUPSTER he got about 5" in a short time & high winds but no flooding. Sacramento said "rain, rain go away" & sent it to the mid-West.

Scary deja vu! Really glad no H2O in the basement but I bet you were pretty anxious. I heard from
@J. PUPSTER he got about 5" in a short time & high winds but no flooding. Sacramento said "rain, rain go away" & sent it to the mid-West.
It really was deja vu! And, here is why....

When we had that extensive flooding couple months ago, wife and I were on our first day of vacation. Fast forward, I was supposed to go to Disney World, Florida, leaving last night, flying this morning. Only, I cancelled due to impossible schedule at work. Though, my wife went ahead and went. (with son and grandson)

How odd is that? Something about vacation....

We're expecting a 'doozy' of a Nor"Easter tonight through early Wednesday morning dumping 4~6 inches of rain with winds gusting at 60 mph. Folks in this part are still recovering from the remnants of Hurricane Ida which caused extensive devastation in this area. Fingers crossed it isn't as bad .... as predicted!

We're expecting a 'doozy' of a Nor"Easter tonight through early Wednesday morning dumping 4~6 inches of rain with winds gusting at 60 mph. Folks in this part are still recovering from the remnants of Hurricane Ida which caused extensive devastation in this area. Fingers crossed it isn't as bad .... as predicted!
Yikes! Hope the best for you and everyone in that area esp our fellow QQ'ers. Let us know how it turns out.
https://nypost.com/2021/10/25/nyc-area-getting-hit-by-noreaster-tonight-and-tomorrow/

Back