The Band “self-titled” album 50th anniversary edition is out in November! (Bob Clearmountain 5.1 Mix!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the way I'm storing mine in the cardboard box it came in.
Why?
Because the material the box has been wrapped in will be a bugger to keep spotless.

Nonetheless, if anyone is hesitating over purchasing this release then all I can say is don't!!

Make no mistake, I want this title in a 5.1 hi-res format.
What bothers me though is, I'm convinced that the labels are using the hi-res surround in these Mega box sets to boost the price (profit margin) and to get surround lovers like ourselves to bite. Or else why not release a "surround only" disc first and then a Mega box set, if this was not the case. Additionally, (please let me know if I'm mistaken here) the digital release in 24/96 is only available as a "stereo" version at sites like HDtracks below.

I can not pull the trigger on this title unless I can buy it for under $100; so let's hope opportunities like Black Friday make it possible.

https://www.hdtracks.com/catalog/product/view/id/911395/

It is about $93 from Amazon Italy right now. Just won't ship for a few weeks.

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B07Y9D3XLW
Make no mistake, I want this title in a 5.1 hi-res format.
What bothers me though is, I'm convinced that the labels are using the hi-res surround in these Mega box sets to boost the price (profit margin) and to get surround lovers like ourselves to bite. Or else why not release a "surround only" disc first and then a Mega box set, if this was not the case. Additionally, (please let me know if I'm mistaken here) the digital release in 24/96 is only available as a "stereo" version at sites like HDtracks below.

I can not pull the trigger on this title unless I can buy it for under $100; so let's hope opportunities like Black Friday make it possible.

https://www.hdtracks.com/catalog/product/view/id/911395/

Mine arrived today.
When the guy handed it to me I was pissed as it in 1 of those plastic shipping bags like you get shirts in.
No padding, zilch.
Opened up & it was in a cardboard case and all was perfect.
Nice if a bit unusual packaging.

OK, I'm not gonna lie. I was a little "taken aback" on the first track with the drums in the center channel. I thought......ohhhhh nooooo.
Calm down......don't over react.

Typically, I am not a big fan of certain instruments being isolated (well, not isolated necessarily, but just louder) to the center channel. So, I will have to listen to this several times....to get the full idea of the mix. :)

No worries ya'll. I think it will be a good one.

OK, I'm not gonna lie. I was a little "taken aback" on the first track with the drums in the center channel. I thought......ohhhhh nooooo.

Typically, I am not a big fan of certain instruments being isolated (well, not isolated necessarily, but just louder) to the center channel. So, I will have to listen to this several times....to get the full idea of the mix. :)

No worries ya'll. I think it will be a good one.
[/QUOTE
I noticed in the footer the passing of your granddaughter, I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

Yeah, I'm giving this a first listen and that was my reaction too. I'm a few songs in - lead vox, drums and bass/tuba are all isolated in center. Perhaps those elements were 'locked' into a single track on the master. Extreme separation in all 5 channels, Strong, clear sound though. I'm warming up to the approach. I think it'll be one of those discs that takes a moment to adjust to each time you pop it in. But lordy, what a great album. Their first two LPs remain my favorites.

Well mine has just arrived from the Big River UK, dispatched on the 15th for a 9 day trip across the great divide...just a little over a week, not bad (y) outer box beat to hell but I wont rag mama rag for the inner box is perfect! So time to pull the ol' rockin' chair up on cripple creek and let The Band play on as they surround me!
(Well as soon as Mostly Autumn's passengers reach the end of their current trip that is.)

Yeah, I'm giving this a first listen and that was my reaction too. I'm a few songs in - lead vox, drums and bass/tuba are all isolated in center. Perhaps those elements were 'locked' into a single track on the master. Extreme separation in all 5 channels, Strong, clear sound though. I'm warming up to the approach. I think it'll be one of those discs that takes a moment to adjust to each time you pop it in. But lordy, what a great album. Their first two LPs remain my favorites.

This makes me a little concerned — I tend to be nervous about 5.1 mixes where the lead vocals face too much competition in the center channel, because if the leads are mixed too low, I can’t boost them without boosting everything else in the channel and throwing the whole mix out of whack. (This is a big problem I have with the Fleetwood Mac Rumours mix, for example: too low lead vox + way too much other stuff in the center that’s as loud or louder than the lead vox.)

That’s why I prefer the Steven Wilson approach of isolated vocals in the center, or other mixes where they may be other elements in the center, but the lead vox are still predominant (Abbey Road, for example). If the leads aren’t present enough for my ears, I can boost them a couple of dB with no issues.

So, with this mix of The Band, are the lead vox loud enough? I’d love to get some perspective on this before dropping a hundred bucks on the box.

This is getting to be a pattern. Order box set from Amazon UK to save a few bucks, 11 days from release date package in my mailbox looking like the dog's breakfast, inner corrugated box unmarked, and the shrinkwrapped product immaculate.

Only saved $8, but it was $50 difference when I ordered, and it came just in time to hear King Harvest in surround on US Thanksgiving Day.
:51QQ

Giving thanks for the QQ cornucopia of good info, good will, and good vibes from all of you.
King Harvest Has Surely Come.

Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 4.19.15 PM.png

Dave Wave did you pay the 3GBP extra or whatever for the expedited shipping?
I've been doing that for some time now and while everything goes across the Atlantic by air, it's when it hits the states that the difference kicks in.
Like I posted earlier, mine shipped late Friday their time & arrived on Monday and I live in the Seattle area.
Seems obvious but ime, the less handling the better the final result.
Thet'a also why I like ordering from Amazon JP.
Air from Narita to Alameda & air from there to Seattle.
All for 950 yen

When ordering from any Amazon always pre-order as early as possible regardless of initial price.

Last edited:
My comments about the center channel information being loud. Particularly on the opening track...

View attachment 44249

Yeah, and the rears are loud too.
Just the way I like them.
You got a problem with turning a channel down? ;)
Consider this, Amigo.
As I listen to Jawbone, the center channel doesn't have puny Steven Wilson vocal isolation.
Oh no, it's full of Rick Danko's dancing electric bass stacked above the sub.
Sublime.
I hope anybody who doesn't have a real woofer in his center channel is hearing what I hear with his bass management.

Seriously, Gene, this is album of the year to me.

Dave Wave did you pay the 3GBP extra or whatever for the expedited shipping?
I've been doing that for some time now and while everything goes across the Atlantic by air, it's when it hits the states that the difference kicks in.
Like I posted earlier, mine shipped late Friday their time & arrived on Monday and I live in the Seattle area.
Seems obvious but ime, the less handling the better the final result.
Thet'a also why I like ordering from Amazon JP.
Air from Narita to Alameda & air from there to Seattle.
All for 950 yen

When ordering from any Amazon always pre-order as early as possible regardless of initial price.

It was 15 pounds difference, not 3.
If I went that way, I just as well have ordered in from the US.
Which in hindsight, would have been smarter.
The rough handling split the inner sleeves on the vinyl, which I offered on shf and reduced my asking price.
Penny-wise, pound foolish.
But Farewell to Kings, Heaven and Earth & In Search of Hades all came undamaged with economy ship.

Thanks for the heads up on the Japan option.

Yeah, and the rears are loud too.
Just the way I like them.
You got a problem with turning a channel down? ;)
Consider this, Amigo.
As I listen to Jawbone, the center channel doesn't have puny Steven Wilson vocal isolation.
Oh no, it's full of Rick Danko's dancing electric bass stacked above the sub.
Sublime.
I hope anybody who doesn't have a real woofer in his center channel is hearing what I hear with his bass management.

Seriously, Gene, this is album of the year to me.

LOL! Seriously, I’m trying to be open minded. Yes, I have a awesome center that produces bass. It’s just different. I’m trying...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back