The Band “self-titled” album 50th anniversary edition is out in November! (Bob Clearmountain 5.1 Mix!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK. Now we're talking surround. This is a beautiful mix! Clear, concise and detailed. And YES - THE CENTER CHANNEL IS TOO LOUD!! If you mute the center the 4 corners shine and there is no guessing or stretching to hear if this is a surround mix. IT'S A SURROUND MIX!!

Not sure why the heavy C, but here's a peek at the first minute or so of the first track "The Great Divide" and you can clearly see it's a loud center, but it's the lead vocal so maybe they were contemplating folks with shitty center speakers. Who knows? Anyway, it's easy to drop the volume once you have it on the PC.

VERY NICE!

View attachment 44845
I’m gonna try dropping the center tonight...

I looked at the file rips from the Box Set BluRay of "Music From Big Pink" and that too has a loud center channel, so it must be Bob's preference when he makes the mixes. I have no issue with it because he does a great job with the overall surround mix, and turning down the center is easy to do if the listener feels the need for it. I also give him a LOT of credit for not whimping out and creating a tame mix and saying "well, there were not that many tracks to work with", like the Doors first LP and other early albums mixed for surround.

Back