The Band "Cahoots" (50th anniversary edition with Bob Clearmountain surround mix out in December!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I paid $87.00 before tax for the Stage Fright deluxe for a lightning deal from Amazon even though I only wanted the blu ray surround. I would only pay over $100 for only really special deluxe sets like Abbey Road. I will stick to reasonable sets like Marillion - Fugazi or Jethro Tull -benefit for my surround fix. If my girlfriend wants to get me The Band - Cahoots deluxe for Christmas I won’t complain. I will wait until black friday deals or what Importcds pricing is for Cahoots. I have a feeling Cahoots deluxe will drop in price.

$119.91 at the Udiscover site right now as they are running a site wide 20% off sale. This includes Kiss and Cat Stevens too! Discount appears in cart, no code needed.

When I checked out I had 500 bonus points sitting in my account from ordering Stage Fright last Christmas, so got another $5 off.
The 20% off deal expires November 1.

$119.91 at the Udiscover site right now as they are running a site wide 20% off sale. This includes Kiss and Cat Stevens too! Discount appears in cart, no code needed.
I'm a bit tempted, it's still rather pricey though. The sale ends Nov 1, still time to think it over!

Just received my shipping notice as well from UDiscover Music ...... and that 40% off deal with free s/h was very much appreciated. Cannot Wait!

Last edited:
Listening now to the hard disc Blu Ray of Cahoots in Dolby Atmos. Great mix, nice surround. Atmos is basically the rear right and left heights that get the strongest signal. Not too much coming from the front heights. Is that Van Morrison signing?
When I rip this Blu Ray, I think the best rip will be the 5.1, what little there is in Atmos, might as well bring it down and listen without Atmos.

It's really interesting comparing the original 1971 stereo mix with Clearmountain's remixes. I like the direction they were going with the remix - the old mix is very dry and devoid of excitement by comparison - but I think he went a little too far with adding reverb & delay to some of the vocal and guitar parts. The big vocal delays in the "Last Of The Blacksmith" chorus are kind of distracting, especially in the surround mixes. The drum sound is completely different too, it sounds like the snare may have been reinforced with a sample? It sort of reminds me of what Graham Nash did with the Songs For Beginners remix back in 2008.

Has anyone heard any rumblings out there yet about what the next one might be? I mean, it should be Rock of Ages, right? But would they really do that all over again after having Clearmountain remix it for the Academy of Music set back in 2013?

Back