The Band - Stage Fright Super Deluxe Edition Feb. 12, 2021

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice to see these "The Band" releases coming out with new 5.1 mixes. Sure, you have to buy the box, but in retrospect, they didn't have to have a 5.1 mix included to sell these. I bet most of the buyers never even touch the bluray.

The thing that's cool about these is that, in the case of this title, it's not just a repackaging of a title and/or mix that they've already sold us once (or twice) in a different format. It keeps the surround audio world refreshing.

Now, how long will this continue? Time will tell...........

Hoping for a "Cahoots" deluxe edition later this year!

:)

No listen, but really love the box set, nice and clean, just eough information.
The LP (in the box) which will remain unopened by me, has a different cover, I am wondering if anyone knows if that is orginal cover? I don't think it is?
The booklet and photos are beautiful, just enough writing in the liner notes to let me feel like I am not taking a college course.
The CD's (2) are the same info as the Blu Ray, except CD 1 has 19 tracks, orginal plus 2 alternates, plus Calgary Hotel Recordings, tracks 13-19. These Calgary Hotel Recordings are not on the Blu Ray.
The Live At Royal Albert Hall on CD is also on Blu Ray, that is good.
So if you where able to get a Blu Ray only, you would only be missing the 7 tracks called Calgary Hotel Recordings.
I have nothing on sonic quality as I have not listened to any of it yet.

Not ready to go on poll yet as still enjoying and listening. I was pleasantly surprised to find out the Live At Royal Albert Hall was in 5.1 also.
The entire Blu Ray is in 5.1 with three listening choices DTS-HD MASTR, my choice for the studio album, True HD, and PCM stereo.
I chose the Dolby True HD for the live portion as my receiver does the Nerual X thing and fires up the height speakers for added ambience of the live recording.
The live portion is no way as discrete as the studio, but I really like it, super good track list.
I said previously that the LP in the box set has a deferent cover, this is wrong, it has the original cover with a folded photo on top that is separate, according to the liner notes this is true to the original.

I ripped CD 1 Stage Fright, 2 alternates and (Calgary Hotel Recordings, which I am listening to now).
The CD 1 rips in Japanese writing, so a little bit of re tagging is involved.
I only kept The Calgary recordings tracks 13-19, which I also re tagged 1-7.
Now to rip the Blu Ray.
Going to rip Stage Fright in DTS HD Mstr 5.1 and PCM stereo.
Going to rip the 20 live tracks in Dolby Tru HD 5.1.

I own the MOFI SACD and now the 2.0 Blu Ray and I thought I would compare. I prefer the 2021 remix BD-A over the Hybrid SACD. The Blu Ray from this box set is more punchier and instruments are more clear.
The BD-A when switching back and forth for A/B compaison plays louder with no volume adjustment.
The track order is different with the new mix than the orginal mix. Done on purpose by Robbie Robertson. Bob Clearmountain new stereo and surround mix.
2021 Stereo BD-A: with DR's
BD-1The W.S. Walcott Medicine Show 9
BD-2The Shape I'm In 9
BD-3Daniel And The Sacred Harp 8
BD-4Stage Fright 9
BD-5The Rumor 7
BD-6Time To Kill 8
BD-7Just Another Whistle Stop 8
BD-8All La Glory 9
BD-9Strawberry Wine 8
BD-10Sleeping 8

MOFI 2011 Hybrid SACD with DR's
1Strawberry Wine 142:37
2Sleeping 123:19
3Time To Kill 143:30
4Just Another Whistle Stop 113:56
5All La Glory 133:39
6The Shape I'm In 114:03
7The W.S. Walcott Medicine Show 123:05
8Daniel And The Sacred Harp 114:15
9Stage Fright 133:45
10The Rumor 11

I own the MOFI SACD and now the 2.0 Blu Ray and I thought I would compare. I prefer the 2021 remix BD-A over the Hybrid SACD. The Blu Ray from this box set is more punchier and instruments are more clear.
The BD-A when switching back and forth for A/B compaison plays louder with no volume adjustment.
The track order is different with the new mix than the orginal mix. Done on purpose by Robbie Robertson. Bob Clearmountain new stereo and surround mix.
2021 Stereo BD-A: with DR's
BD-1The W.S. Walcott Medicine Show 9
BD-2The Shape I'm In 9
BD-3Daniel And The Sacred Harp 8
BD-4Stage Fright 9
BD-5The Rumor 7
BD-6Time To Kill 8
BD-7Just Another Whistle Stop 8
BD-8All La Glory 9
BD-9Strawberry Wine 8
BD-10Sleeping 8

MOFI 2011 Hybrid SACD with DR's
1Strawberry Wine 142:37
2Sleeping 123:19
3Time To Kill 143:30
4Just Another Whistle Stop 113:56
5All La Glory 133:39
6The Shape I'm In 114:03
7The W.S. Walcott Medicine Show 123:05
8Daniel And The Sacred Harp 114:15
9Stage Fright 133:45
10The Rumor 11

Then better hold on to my 2011 MoFi Stereo Remaster, Markie. Thanks for posting those DR numbers. A mite disappointing!

I really think they have made an good job on this one specially with the 5.1. On the first box release of Music from Big pink there were some tracks that sounded more like stereo than 5.1. Otherwise it sounded good. The second album sounded a little better and it feels like they have taken another step forward with this one. I guess it is a question on daring to do something new with the album.
For me there is no question about that it is the best release of this album and nice that they have the concert on the BD as well.
I can´t understand why we don´t always get everything from the CDs delivered in the boxes on the BD also in high resolution and 5.1. This would at least be an compensation for forcing us to buy these expensive boxes instead of getting an separate release of the Blu ray.

I really think they have made an good job on this one specially with the 5.1. On the first box release of Music from Big pink there were some tracks that sounded more like stereo than 5.1. Otherwise it sounded good. The second album sounded a little better and it feels like they have taken another step forward with this one. I guess it is a question on daring to do something new with the album.
For me there is no question about that it is the best release of this album and nice that they have the concert on the BD as well.
I can´t understand why we don´t always get everything from the CDs delivered in the boxes on the BD also in high resolution and 5.1. This would at least be an compensation for forcing us to buy these expensive boxes instead of getting an separate release of the Blu ray.
Totally agree. Seems like XTC and their superlative surround series are the only ones willing to cram the Blu-ray to its gills with music.

Totally agree. Seems like XTC and their superlative surround series are the only ones willing to cram the Blu-ray to its gills with music.
And Todd Rundgren apparently left Bob Clearmountain good recordings to work with. Back in the day Todd joked that he couldn’t join The Band because he couldn’t grow a beard. The Band themselves claimed that he was too hyper. Todd has been alleged to take amphetamines(Ritalin) when he records and mixes. He has never denied nor confirmed this.

The timing of the release date and the winter storm couldn't have been worse for those of us who ordered from uDiscover for the rock-bottom price under $100 and free shipping.

When FedEx in Memphis and UPS in Louisville had to shut down their hubs, that is some catastrophic logistics backup.
Obviously, a super-saver mass-order day-of-release shipment went to the bottom of the pile.

Not that I'm complaining, I worked my whole life in field service fixing million-dollar+ hospital systems idled waiting for overnight priority air express delivery.
Spent many a morning in line at a FedEx office waiting for "hold at depot" packages to come out, to save an hour or two of downtime for a stressed customer.

After a ten-day gap between "shipping notice" [printed a label] and UPS taking ownership of the package, it appears order has been restored.
Waiting for the hand-off from UPS to the post office for that "last mile" delivery to my cluster mailbox instead of the front porch.

Happy to wait my turn for the price savings.

"The Shape I'm In," I've got "Time To Kill."
It's "Just Another Whistle Stop" until it's "All La Glory," 50 years down the line in CornStock Nation.

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 9.39.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 8.24.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 9.10.12 PM.png

Mine showed up a few minutes ago. Same scenario as Dave.

There is more BS attached to this order. All else was in stock. One box came within a week. It contained US Beatles 📦 and a few 2CD sets. Hot Rats 🐀 box, Elton's Jewel Box and 🐐 head didn't show for weeks. No explanation why from UDiscover. Not in a hurry to order from them again. 🤡Clown town...

Back