BluRay Music Video Poll The Beatles - 1/1+ [BluRay]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BluRay Disc of The Beatles - 1+

• Total voters
Anybody else notice that the #1 hits predominantly featured John as lead vocalist early on, but Paul as lead vocalist beyond the half way point?
And what's with the giant hairs on the screen from the Let it Be shots? Did they have an ostrich in the studio or something? Wow!

The lead vocalist was usually, but not always, the main songwriter for a song. Sometimes the writer would write with the intent of having another Beatle be the lead vocalist but more often than not it was the writer.

So, what you actually saw was that the hit singles writing shifted from John to Paul over the course of the Beatles. John was still trying, such as Revolution, but then Paul would come up with Hey Jude. It was also a competition. Notice how many of the singles had an A side by one writer and a B side by the other. That was not accidental.

I believe that for the Beatles to have survived into the 1970s, George would have had to emerge as the "hit writer", such as he did with Something. Obviously history has rendered the question moot but it is interesting to think about.

Andy

Anybody else notice that the #1 hits predominantly featured John as lead vocalist early on, but Paul as lead vocalist beyond the half way point?
Initially it was John's band. He was the leader, he asked Paul to join the band. As time went on John got deep into drugs and Yoko and the Beatles became less important in his life. Paul became more confident and bossier as time went on. Basically as John ceased to be the leader Paul took over. Ironically when the Beatles first appeared on Ed Sullivan they sang five songs and Paul sang lead on all five songs with John joining him for harmony on two of the songs. John had a terrible time memorizing lyrics and I am sure he was nervous that he would screw up.

Initially it was John's band. He was the leader, he asked Paul to join the band. As time went on John got deep into drugs and Yoko and the Beatles became less important in his life. Paul became more confident and bossier as time went on. Basically as John ceased to be the leader Paul took over. Ironically when the Beatles first appeared on Ed Sullivan they sang five songs and Paul sang lead on all five songs with John joining him for harmony on two of the songs. John had a terrible time memorizing lyrics and I am sure he was nervous that he would screw up.

Regarding John having a terrible time with lyrics, that seems to be true listening to a few of their recordings where he sings the wrong line. Can't get much more "live recording" than that! (Aside: Whenever I listen to Day Tripper, I still hear the dropout in my head even though they digitally corrected it on 1 and this subsequent set.)

During "Let it Be", which is clearly from the film and looking great, they futzed with the audio AND video.

"Don't Let Me Down" is unusual as well. It's neither the officially released single version nor the version used in the film. As discussed downthread, John botches the lyrics in the film version but doesn't here.

I've made several attempts to like this package. They've all failed. It's joined the rejects on the shelf along with Love, Magical Mystery Tour, and A Hard Day's Night. The Beatles are not a modern band. They are 1960s, and modernising the sound Giles & Sam style doesn't work for me.

So it's back to the Parlophone LPs and singles, the Japanese EMI Odeon stereo singles, the Мелодия A Hard Day's Night LP, the EMI Odeon Die Beatles LP, and the USB stick - which although futzed with a little I still like it.

"Don't Let Me Down" is unusual as well. It's neither the officially released single version nor the version used in the film. As discussed downthread, John botches the lyrics in the film version but doesn't here.

It's the Let It Be...Naked version where the two rooftop performances are edited into one. So, it is an officially released version.

Andy

Last edited:
I've made several attempts to like this package. They've all failed. It's joined the rejects on the shelf along with Love, Magical Mystery Tour, and A Hard Day's Night. The Beatles are not a modern band. They are 1960s, and modernising the sound Giles & Sam style doesn't work for me.

So it's back to the Parlophone LPs and singles, the Japanese EMI Odeon stereo singles, the Мелодия A Hard Day's Night LP, the EMI Odeon Die Beatles LP, and the USB stick - which although futzed with a little I still like it.

That's why you have to save all of that old stuff. Have you gotten hold of the MoFi box set? It's cut at 1/2 speed directly from the original stereo master tapes.

From what I've read in the review section, I think *most* people (not all) consider the overall package to be positive. Other than the poor clean-up job on the Get Back/Let It Be sessions, I'd consider the video as good as it gets and a lot of fun.

If it weren't for the focus of this forum being multichannel hi-res audio, I believe most of the reviews here would be much closer to a 10. Of course, if it weren't for the focus of this forum being multichannel hi-res audio, most of us wouldn't be here.

So, an excellent review that mostly covers the video and the booklet doesn't surprise me.

Andy

It's the Let It Be...Naked version where the two rooftop performances are edited into one. So, it is an officially released version.

Ah, thank you. For better or worse, I tend to completely forget about that album. It's not that I don't like it, I just...well, I just forget about it!

Well, anyway, short of voting, here are my findings for the DVD:

I only watched from Paperback Writer onward (don't really give a crap about most songs before then); the sound is reasonably immersive in DTS 5.1. I compared to PCM stereo run through PLIIX and the DTS is slightly more immersive and discrete.
Hey Jude sounds like rubbish. Almost makes Rush in Rio sound good.
No LFE issues apparent on my setup.

I like how a brief shot of Penny Lane flashes across John's face when they're out in the pasture. I like the low end on Come Together. Pretty boomin'.
Let it Be is a treat, but I like the other guitar solo better (though both are fairly pedestrian).

Though the mixes aren't very discrete, they do bend the sound field around the listener a bit on later songs. Makes the sound field feel more like a horse shoe to me, rather than a horizon line. I will probably hardly ever put this on. It may go up for sale at some point. We'll see.

This mother frigger is pretty loud. I had to turn down compared to Thrak 2015.

My vote would be:

Mix: 1
Fidelity: 2
Content: 2
Package/other: 1

So, a generous 6...

Voted 6. Hard to place a numerical value on this.

Pros: Many of the restored videos look better than ever. Some new stereo mixes sound really good. Some live performances we haven't seen before are included.

Cons: 5.1 mix is massively disappointing. The disregard of the "hairs" on the "Let It Be" era films was very disappointing given how much Apple gloated over the film restoration efforts. The remastering of "She Loves You" audio was brickwalled and this really accentuated the distortion in that recording. And I *really* was hoping for a new stereo mix of "Please Please me" that fixed the out of sync harmonica during the end of the song, but they used a live version instead.

The February/March 2016 issue of SOUND & VISION magazine, which is a champion for surround music, describes The Beatles 1+ 5.1 mixes:

"...all accompanied by stunning 5.1 mixes done by Giles Martin with Sam Okell at Abbey Road studios."

"There is no one else I'd trust to do The Beatles right in 5.1..."

"...."Strawberry Fields Forever" and "A Day in the Life" are fully realized in 5.1"

Hmmm, they liked it.

Check out the entire article toward the end of the issue.

The February/March 2016 issue of SOUND & VISION magazine, which is a champion for surround music, describes The Beatles 1+ 5.1 mixes:

"...all accompanied by stunning 5.1 mixes done by Giles Martin with Sam Okell at Abbey Road studios."

"...."Strawberry Fields Forever" and "A Day in the Life" are fully realized in 5.1"

Hmmm, they liked it.

hahaha - wow. Eh, heh...ummm hmmm. Yeah. :)

Hmmm, they liked it.

And it's Mike Mettler too...

Back