BluRay Music Video Poll The Beatles - 1/1+ [BluRay]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BluRay Disc of The Beatles - 1+

• Total voters
The February/March 2016 issue of SOUND & VISION magazine, which is a champion for surround music, describes The Beatles 1+ 5.1 mixes:

"...all accompanied by stunning 5.1 mixes done by Giles Martin with Sam Okell at Abbey Road studios."

"There is no one else I'd trust to do The Beatles right in 5.1..."

"...."Strawberry Fields Forever" and "A Day in the Life" are fully realized in 5.1"

Hmmm, they liked it.

Check out the entire article toward the end of the issue.

These impressions of the release mirror my own observations from people OUTSIDE the forum community...I'm not surprised at all...

These impressions of the release mirror my own observations from people OUTSIDE the forum community...I'm not surprised at all...

One can ONLY wonder what George Martin himself thought of the 5.1 [?] 'remixes' of the Beatles 1+ BD~Vs?

As George knew the Beatles' catalogue intimately, it would seem HE was the catalyst in rendering the LOVE album in such a 'tastefully' discrete fashion.

One can ONLY wonder what George Martin himself thought of the 5.1 [?] 'remixes' of the Beatles 1+ BD~Vs?

As George knew the Beatles' catalogue intimately, it would seem HE was the catalyst in rendering the LOVE album in such a 'tastefully' discrete fashion.
Hi Ralphie, I miss you, when you going to get your picture up, I know you can get something awesome.
The disc in question is a big bummer sonically in surround, nothing discrete, all ambient. BUT, all the videos are very cool and synced perfectly to the music. I am glad to own it, even though I just listened once. I just need Ten Years After in discrete surround and I will be happy forever.

And it's Mike Mettler too...

This pretty much confirms my feelings on Mike Mettler. He's a lovely guy and a fantastic advocate for surround sound releases, but I can't trust his opinions on surround sound releases because he always tends to look at these releases through rose-colored glasses, even when so many other trusted opinions on surround are singing a different tune around him.
It's particularly incredible to me that he especially loved the 5.1 mixes on "Strawberry Fields Forever" and "A Day in the Life" as those were two that I felt really fell short of what they could sound like, especially if you have heard how good the surround mixes for those two songs are on the "Anthology" DVDs.

so, after reading comes conclusion - it's not too bad to be not a Beatles fan. at least some money not wasted in vain.

I notice that Amazon has now combined all of the reviews for the original Beatles 1 CD with the 1+ BluRay title. Perhaps just another Amazon glitch? Or perhaps is this a calculated move to increase soft sales? Interesting.

I notice that Amazon has now combined all of the reviews for the original Beatles 1 CD with the 1+ BluRay title. Perhaps just another Amazon glitch? Or perhaps is this a calculated move to increase soft sales? Interesting.

It's just amazon being amazon..totally inept in some phases...they just combine reviews of everything under the sun under one heading...and despite the cries of agony on here..the sales weren't soft...from all indications it was a success...because outside the audiophile community most people realized it was not an audiophile product like LOVE...so their expectations were met and exceeded in many cases...

That is Amazon's typical review listing format. If you click on "see all xxxx customer reviews," then select cd from the drop down, you'll see only cd reviews.
Likewise, if you start from the BD listing, the DVD listing, and so on, and you select that choice from the drop down, you'll see only the reviews associated with the listing you started from (even is the choice in the drop down is labeled somewhat misleadingly). This is actually a tremendous improvement to Amazon's review format, even from just a year ago.

I have personally complained a metric shitton to their CSS and to engineers I know. I don't think their listings will ever be as discrete as discogs or even ebay (when the seller is correct). So far, they've just refused to entirely separate various versions of the same title. I've received many a wrong version from Amazon's sellers, but they always take care of a fair refund or replacement.

That is Amazon's typical review listing format. If you click on "see all xxxx customer reviews," then select cd from the drop down, you'll see only cd reviews.
Likewise, if you start from the BD listing, the DVD listing, and so on, and you select that choice from the drop down, you'll see only the reviews associated with the listing you started from (even is the choice in the drop down is labeled somewhat misleadingly). This is actually a tremendous improvement to Amazon's review format, even from just a year ago.

I have personally complained a metric shitton to their CSS and to engineers I know. I don't think their listings will ever be as discrete as discogs or even ebay (when the seller is correct). So far, they've just refused to entirely separate various versions of the same title. I've received many a wrong version from Amazon's sellers, but they always take care of a fair refund or replacement.

I've never seen that drop down menu...all I see is customer reviews..show me where they are on this release

amazon-see-all.jpg

amazon-all-formats.jpg

Well yeah - we can change the format, but still seems to me that the reviews that follow that change include other formats. I just tried it with YES, changed to Audio CD and yet many of the reviews that populated mentioned the Blu-Ray...

Well yeah - we can change the format, but still seems to me that the reviews that follow that change include other formats. I just tried it with YES, changed to Audio CD and yet many of the reviews that populated mentioned the Blu-Ray...

It's only as good as the customer's association of the review. If they start at the CD listing, write a review and go on and on about the BD things gets confused.
Still, sorting in this way narrows things down significantly for most titles I've looked at since the change.

I need to take a happy pill I guess. lmao

Haha - believe me, I've been through no end of frustration with Amazon's format, but at least it has improved. And the site is often where the best deal on a particular title can be found.
Amazon, as well as not separating versions, neither requires much in the way of version validation when a seller lists. So, they can claim they're selling an SACD for $0.01 and you get it and it's a CD.
Alternatively, they sometimes think they're selling a CD for $0.01 and it's a rare SACD...

Every cloud has a silver lining!

Back