The Beatles - Abbey Road 50th Anniversary (5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or just command Alexa [who has a slight British accent] to play the damn thing in Surround!

See the source image

ALEXA: PLAY OCTOPUSSY GARDEN IN SURROUND
From what I've seen on Twitter, Alexa may be far too busy for that
70920315_10157412237354020_9085078286106624000_o.jpg

Oh lucky me. Was expecting another two week wait for this since I ordered it from France.
The doorbell rings after dinner j walk outside and I see the package on the front step.
I knew what it was before opening.
Slight niggle a small dent on right top corner resulting in a small crinkled corner of that gorgeous book. Its got personality now.

But the bluray plays. Oh boy.....it plays. I dont have atmos just 5.1
Now I know what everyone is raving about. What bass and clarity. My speakers actually distort at moments during bass peaks. I have full range ADS speakers but add extra bass. Not needed for this one.

I dont need to play it again to know this is a ten. I have heard this music all my life but it put a big smile on my face.
I am happy with the mix. It's great that her majesty moves around the speakers but I'm glad they didnt do this on the rest of the album.

I certainly hope they give this treatment to their other albums like Revolver.

Revolver would never ever sound like this. The very most we could hope for is a surround experience more like Sgt Pepper. And even that, Revolver is a much simpler recording than the 1967 material. I look forward to it in surround, but it will not be like Abbey Road.

Well, I got my copy sitting right here. Can't listen to it until my Oppo gets back from the shop. But they said it shipped yesterday. Oppo service tells me that they have been getting error reports on the Abbey Road blu ray. Something about having to start it from the menu. Anybody know what they're talking about? They said it wasn't just their players, but theirs were included.

Well, I got my copy sitting right here. Can't listen to it until my Oppo gets back from the shop. But they said it shipped yesterday. Oppo service tells me that they have been getting error reports on the Abbey Road blu ray. Something about having to start it from the menu. Anybody know what they're talking about? They said it wasn't just their players, but theirs were included.

FWIW, I've played the Blu Ray (in 5.1) several times already on my Oppo 103, no problem.

Revolver would never ever sound like this. The very most we could hope for is a surround experience more like Sgt Pepper. And even that, Revolver is a much simpler recording than the 1967 material. I look forward to it in surround, but it will not be like Abbey Road.
There’d be even less hope for Rubber Soul to match the remix and sound quality of AR. I’m assuming that they wouldn’t go back in the catalog any further than RS.

I'm sure glad to be reading all the rave reviews. I've been out of the country for a few weeks and not due home for another week so haven't been able to hear it. Since I knew I wouldn't be around on release day I ordered via Deep discount not caring if it was a little late. But i checked and it's waiting for me to get home so I'll be able to check it out when I get there. Woo hoo!
K

I'm almost tempted in this instance to double dip and also spring for the Japanese pressed Abbey Road box set as a few years ago CDJapan was literally 'blowing out' dozens of Blue Note, Riverside, etc. JAZZ BD~As for approximately $9 each and in every instance they sounded superior to their US pressed BD~As and even SACDs and of course the packaging was also somewhat superior [especially with those obis].

Hmmmm! Now I'm wondering how the EU BD~A of AR compares with its Japanese counterpart?

I see quite a few comments on here about Japanese pressings and I understand that the packaging can be superior but, humour me, how on earth can a different pressing of a digital disc 'sound superior'? It's exactly the same 0's and 1's no?

I see quite a few comments on here about Japanese pressings and I understand that the packaging can be superior but, humour me, how on earth can a different pressing of a digital disc 'sound superior'? It's exactly the same 0's and 1's no?
In theory:

The data stream is not converted to numbers. It is fed to the DAC as a wave. The wave can vary from one player/transport to another, and yes, from one "identical" disc to another.

I am sure it could be easier but there is no money it it.

The data stream is not converted to numbers. It is fed to the DAC as a wave.
Um, no. The bitstream as encoded on and read from the disc is a series of numbers. It is, per channel, 44,100 16-bit words per second. It is not converted back to an analogue wave until it hits the DAC.

There are some gorgeous harmonies in those early Beatles albums. Even spreading the vocals across the front sound stage would be nice.

I think the number of recorded tracks on those early albums is so limited that it's not possible to spread the vocals at all, but I'd love to be proven wrong...

Back