The Beatles - Abbey Road 50th Anniversary (5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see quite a few comments on here about Japanese pressings and I understand that the packaging can be superior but, humour me, how on earth can a different pressing of a digital disc 'sound superior'? It's exactly the same 0's and 1's no?
I've not seen that Japanese "pressings" are superior just because they're pressed in Japan, but the way the tapes are handled.
In some caes like AR, I'm guessing that the data was digitally transferred by private connection or digital master stampers were cut and couriered there.

I've been buying Japanese music product since the 1980's & it is superior in many ways.
I'm not saying that the SQ is always better but the care they take with the quality of the format etc., is routinely superior to every other country & more expensive to varying degrees.
All of the Japanese vinyl I bought pre-CD was dead quiet, heavy & the packaging was out of this world.

Why did all of the 2009 Beatle Mono CD boxsets originate in Japan?

They're known for their absolute adherence to originalist versions with no effort spared in reproduction.
It earns my respect and investment.
Take it how you will.

Last edited:
Um, no. The bitstream as encoded on and read from the disc is a series of numbers. It is, per channel, 44,100 16-bit words per second. It is not converted back to an analogue wave until it hits the DAC.
I have never seen numbers passing through a cable. Think about it.

I think the number of recorded tracks on those early albums is so limited that it's not possible to spread the vocals at all, but I'd love to be proven wrong...
You won't be proven wrong. The first two albums were recorded on 2 track tape. From A Hard Day's Night onward they moved to 4 track then from mid way through The White Album they moved to 8 track.

Nobody wants to hear Meet The Beatles in surround?

There are some gorgeous harmonies in those early Beatles albums. Even spreading the vocals across the front sound stage would be nice.
I think the number of recorded tracks on those early albums is so limited that it's not possible to spread the vocals at all, but I'd love to be proven wrong...

The Surround Master V2 really does a very nice job producing an immersive surround sound field with these first two Beatles albums...better than both DPLII or Logic7. The sound quality of the Please Please Me album is the better of the two. I Saw Her Standing There jumps right out of the speakers. Oh how I wish they would reissue that first album in some high-resolution format.

I've not seen that Japanese "pressings" are superior just because they're pressed in Japan, but the way the tapes are handled.
In some caes like AR, I'm guessing that the data was digitally transferred by private connection or digital master stampers were cut and couriered there.

I've been buying Japanese music product since the 1980's & it is superior in many ways.
I'm not saying that the SQ is always better but the care they take with the quality of the format etc., is routinely superior to every other country & more expensive to varying degrees.
All of the Japanese vinyl I bought pre-CD was dead quiet, heavy & the packaging was out of this world.

Why did all of the 2009 Beatle Mono CD boxsets originate in Japan?

They're known for their absolute adherence to originalist versions with no effort spared in reproduction.
It earns my respect and investment.
Take it how you will.
I quite agree with Milt, but I also understand Simon M statement/question, aren't they the same 1's and 0's? I can only tell you my experience. When I was new to high res my first experience was with single layer SHM SACD Japanese stereo. I found the titles offered and the quality of the listening experience way above others. Then I tried to enhance my listening experience and purchased many mini cardboard SHM CD's, one for the Japanese attention to detail of the mini albums and the enhanced listening experience. I first noticed this when I had the US RBCD box set of The Beatles, black box, I then became very intrigued with the possibility of getting the stereo Black Box Japanese SHM CD release and I purchased. I could absolutely tell the difference between the RBCD and the SHM CD. One thing that helps is one you notice the difference based on a lifetime of intimate knowledge with a recording, then things pop out a little more. If I don't know a recording that intimately I might be less to notice the difference. I will never discount placebo, I am paying more therefore it must be better=placebo. I do try to acknowledge placebo and I do ask myself is it really better?
The actual SHM CD's are a tiny bit thicker, this is very noticeable playing one in the car as they get a little stuck when ejecting, all of them are like that. Is the extra thickness good for a better optical read with laser?
There is also BluSpec CD, my copy of Hendrix Electric Ladyland definitely sounded better than the RBCD, but now with the 2018 Hi Res release both are obsolete.
I have not purchased any UHQCD's as the titles are to repetitive as I have most of them.
I will also be the first to say that if you can get a first generation RBCD (early 90's) of a certain recording it will likely sound better than any SHM CD.
I have no problem paying the extra money for any recording in the SHM CD format, the Japanese are stellar, bar none, to any other. How it is shipped, the condition it comes in, the extra details, slip covers, disc covers, extra liner notes are always superior. Am I right/wrong, I don't know, but I do know without doubt I feel my listening experience is enhanced with a Japanese release as I am the only one that counts as I sit and listen by myself.
Note on Japanese Abbey Road release: Perfect, no issues, great packaging, sounds great, BD works perfect, I ripped the 2.0 and 5.1 DTS HD using MKV and Music Media Helper, no problems, all perfect. Did I pay $25.00 more than most, sure, but I am happy.
Here is a nice Steve Miller Japanese SHM CD pre order I will purchase. Book Of Dreams Pre Order
Thanks for letting me ramble and for continuing to educate me.

I quite agree with Milt, but I also understand Simon M statement/question, aren't they the same 1's and 0's? I can only tell you my experience. When I was new to high res my first experience was with single layer SHM SACD Japanese stereo. I found the titles offered and the quality of the listening experience way above others. Then I tried to enhance my listening experience and purchased many mini cardboard SHM CD's, one for the Japanese attention to detail of the mini albums and the enhanced listening experience. I first noticed this when I had the US RBCD box set of The Beatles, black box, I then became very intrigued with the possibility of getting the stereo Black Box Japanese SHM CD release and I purchased. I could absolutely tell the difference between the RBCD and the SHM CD. One thing that helps is one you notice the difference based on a lifetime of intimate knowledge with a recording, then things pop out a little more. If I don't know a recording that intimately I might be less to notice the difference. I will never discount placebo, I am paying more therefore it must be better=placebo. I do try to acknowledge placebo and I do ask myself is it really better?
The actual SHM CD's are a tiny bit thicker, this is very noticeable playing one in the car as they get a little stuck when ejecting, all of them are like that. Is the extra thickness good for a better optical read with laser?
There is also BluSpec CD, my copy of Hendrix Electric Ladyland definitely sounded better than the RBCD, but now with the 2018 Hi Res release both are obsolete.
I have not purchased any UHQCD's as the titles are to repetitive as I have most of them.
I will also be the first to say that if you can get a first generation RBCD (early 90's) of a certain recording it will likely sound better than any SHM CD.
I have no problem paying the extra money for any recording in the SHM CD format, the Japanese are stellar, bar none, to any other. How it is shipped, the condition it comes in, the extra details, slip covers, disc covers, extra liner notes are always superior. Am I right/wrong, I don't know, but I do know without doubt I feel my listening experience is enhanced with a Japanese release as I am the only one that counts as I sit and listen by myself.
Note on Japanese Abbey Road release: Perfect, no issues, great packaging, sounds great, BD works perfect, I ripped the 2.0 and 5.1 DTS HD using MKV and Music Media Helper, no problems, all perfect. Did I pay $25.00 more than most, sure, but I am happy.
Here is a nice Steve Miller Japanese SHM CD pre order I will purchase. Book Of Dreams Pre Order
Thanks for letting me ramble and for continuing to educate me.
I agree about early 90s RBCDs sounding better (DR) etc. I’m still not totally sold on improved SQ of SHM; I believe much of it comes down to mastering. Also, perhaps the SHM is a better coating against future disc-rot... time will tell. I’ve got both an SHM-CD and SACD of Joe Walsh’s SO WHAT; and they both sound great.
I do know the DR on the Beatles new AR cd is not stellar😎

All subtleties regarding "better-sounding CDs with identical bits" and "better transports" would be moot if players/DACs had a buffer and a regenerator with reclocking (maybe some do).

Nobody wants to hear Meet The Beatles in surround?

There are some gorgeous harmonies in those early Beatles albums. Even spreading the vocals across the front sound stage would be nice.

Technically, I don't think it's possible to give the surround treatment to "Meet the Beatles". I don't think the recording equipment had enough tracks/channels. They could barely do stereo.

All subtleties regarding "better-sounding CDs with identical bits" and "better transports" would be moot if players/DACs had a buffer and a regenerator with reclocking (maybe some do).

I would be interested to compare FLAC MD5 checksum values between the various worldwide releases of "Abbey Road". Though it wouldn't be entirely conclusive if they were different--even the tiniest possible difference in track indexing would cause that. It would certainly be interesting if they were the same, though.

I recently found that I have both BMG and Columbia House pressings of the Cure's "Mixed Up". Every track is bit-identical between the two. I wish I had a stock copy for comparison.

If they weren't numbers, one wouldn't need a DAC. For that matter, we're able to post here because numbers go through cables.
Numbers encoded in an analog electric signal, that’s what allow them to go through cables. And when this analog electric signal become distorted (to a certain extent) it retains its numbers without any loss at all! That’s the magic and the beauty of it.

Well, I got my set about 2 hours ago. I carefully slit open the shrink and looked at the book. When my canadian Broadcorping Castration show was over, I inserted the Blu-Ray. KWAP! My Oppo 83 spit it back out like it tasted bad! I put it in a second time and the player said no disc. DOUBLE KWAP! I took out the disc and tried to see through it to see if there were holes in the layer or scratches. Nope. The silver side had a blemish. TRIPLE KWAP! I tried one more time before considering calling Amazon and yelling. This time it loaded just fine. From about the third note until now my eyes have been wet from the sheer beauty of the mix and all the things I never heard before and the realisation that some instruments were actually not what I thought they were. I even hung up on HWMBO because I had just started side2 (vinyl track listing). The only issue I had with the disc, once it was playing, is that I thought I had floaters in my eyes and they were multiplying. By The End I had realised there were actually birds flying across the menu screen. WHEW! I thought my eye problems were back. I am not going to vote just yet as I am still digesting it all. I can say that if I could only have one surround disc ever, this would be it. I even loved the Something video. I thought there was 2 videos but couldn't find another. I will say that I was listening in 4.0 from the 5.1 mix. Does that disqualify me from voting?

p.s. I haven't seen any write up from Quad Linda. If you are out there, do you have the set or are you waiting for Joe to give it to you?

“... This time it loaded just fine.”

“The only issue I had with the disc, once it was playing, is that I thought I had floaters in my eyes and they were multiplying. By The End I had realised there were actually birds flying across the menu screen. WHEW! I thought my eye problems were back.”

I’m sooo glad it finally played for you and you got To listen to this beauty!

Ha ha they kept bothering me too. I’d open my eyes slightly and - what??? Did some moths get in my house?!?! Flying across the lit up screen in my dark room?

Last edited:
Well, I got my set about 2 hours ago. I carefully slit open the shrink and looked at the book. When my canadian Broadcorping Castration show was over, I inserted the Blu-Ray. KWAP! My Oppo 83 spit it back out like it tasted bad! I put it in a second time and the player said no disc. DOUBLE KWAP! I took out the disc and tried to see through it to see if there were holes in the layer or scratches. Nope. The silver side had a blemish. TRIPLE KWAP! I tried one more time before considering calling Amazon and yelling. This time it loaded just fine. From about the third note until now my eyes have been wet from the sheer beauty of the mix and all the things I never heard before and the realisation that some instruments were actually not what I thought they were. I even hung up on HWMBO because I had just started side2 (vinyl track listing). The only issue I had with the disc, once it was playing, is that I thought I had floaters in my eyes and they were multiplying. By The End I had realised there were actually birds flying across the menu screen. WHEW! I thought my eye problems were back. I am not going to vote just yet as I am still digesting it all. I can say that if I could only have one surround disc ever, this would be it. I even loved the Something video. I thought there was 2 videos but couldn't find another. I will say that I was listening in 4.0 from the 5.1 mix. Does that disqualify me from voting?

p.s. I haven't seen any write up from Quad Linda. If you are out there, do you have the set or are you waiting for Joe to give it to you?
I’m sooo glad it finally played for you and you got To listen to this beauty!

Ha ha they kept bothering me too. I’d open my eyes slightly and - what??? Did some moths get in my house?!?! Flying across the lit up screen in my dark room?
:ROFLMAO: I thought I had more floaters than usual as well!

Numbers encoded in an analog electric signal, that’s what allow them to go through cables. And when this analog electric signal become distorted (to a certain extent) it retains its numbers without any loss at all! That’s the magic and the beauty of it.

The time domain seems to be important. It it not just that the numbers could be retrieved.

Back