The Beatles - Abbey Road 50th Anniversary (5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the bottom up.
Toshiba HD - discontinued format and I have about 40 discs that can only play on this player.
Sony 4k- also plays DVD A and Sacd, but not Dolby Vision.
Lg 4k - can play Dolby Vision and Hdr
Yamaha- plays DVD A and Sacd
Oppo- region free and analog DVD and Sacd
Thats my main 5-- a little overkill, but I use them all.
Sony 4k in the bedroom and Panasonic Blu ray in my den makes 7.

Good job on the HD-DVD player. Good stuff, stabbed in the back by the back room deals of Sony

Good job on the HD-DVD player. Good stuff, stabbed in the back by the back room deals of Sony

HD DVD! yeay! 🥰 i loved most of the ones i picked up, even if nobody else did! (i remember the Heroes S1 box set being particularly good)

985551FF-8949-4855-8BF0-D7E8ED0A86DE.jpeg

nice tagline; "The Look And Sound Of Perfect"..

edit: in the pursuit of better than perfection.. 🤯 i picked up a few 4K Ultra BD's earlier in the year (haven't got a 4K telly yet but just in case this format's axed as well) starting with a couple of all-time favourite movies i just haven't seen in quite perfect enough quality (Goodfellas, Unforgiven, all that Battyman type stuff) but the pandemic soon put a stop to that madness, for which my wallet and shelves are thankful 😆

DBEE14C7-173B-4471-BAF4-280A032E7A43.jpeg

Last edited:
HD DVD! yeay! 🥰 i loved most of the ones i picked up, even if nobody else did! (i remember the Heroes S1 box set being particularly good)

View attachment 51633

nice tagline; "The Look And Sound Of Perfect"..

edit: in the pursuit of better than perfection.. 🤯 i picked up a few 4K Ultra BD's earlier in the year (haven't got a 4K telly yet but just in case this format's axed as well) starting with a couple of all-time favourite movies i just haven't seen in quite perfect enough quality (Goodfellas, Unforgiven, all that Battyman type stuff) but the pandemic soon put a stop to that madness, for which my wallet and shelves are thankful 😆

View attachment 51634

Blast from the past. I had a handful of those. Had a Samsung universal player, played both HD-DVD and Blu ray. Once HD-DVD bit the dust, I dumped all of my discs and the player in favor of a universal blu ray/sacd/dvd-a machine, might have been a Denon. Still see some HD-DVD at Five Below and dollar stores every once in a while. Too bad someone doesn't make a total solution, all in one universal player that plays everything 5".

Too bad someone doesn't make a total solution, all in one universal player that plays everything 5".

It would be a nice gesture, but HD-DVD seems to have been the most rot-prone format of all time.

I've played HD-DVD content on my Oppos, though. Several years back I got an external computer HD-DVD drive and ripped what I could to MKV.

It would be a nice gesture, but HD-DVD seems to have been the most rot-prone format of all time.

I've played HD-DVD content on my Oppos, though. Several years back I got an external computer HD-DVD drive and ripped what I could to MKV.

Oppo's didn't play them...

I was able to rip most of my movies but for some reason none of my concert discs would rip. May have been my drive which was for a gaming console of some sort.

Oppo's didn't play them...

I was able to rip most of my movies but for some reason none of my concert discs would rip. May have been my drive which was for a gaming console of some sort.

No, an Oppo won't spin an HD-DVD, but it will play an MKV created from an HD-DVD rip. Subject to the usual Oppo quirks like refusing to play PCM from an MKV even though it will play PCM from a disc.

Back