The Beatles Anthology

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petermwilson

Hi,

Not sure if I'm late to the party on this one but a buddy lent me the 5 discs that make up this package and although I'm only on the second disc, (actually the third because I watched the intro disc first) whether or not your a Beatles fan, you owe it to yourself to watch and more importantly listen to this package.

I would imagine soon (if it isn't already) you might be able to pick it up at your local library because it is truly a historical piece and alot of love went into its production.

The story line is very well done, its in 16/9 and DD5.1 and DTS with full songs not just clips. When this music goes HIREZ I hope George Martin and Phil Spector do the work because they did a marvelous job on the original music which contibuted to the DD5.1 and DTS tracks.

I've mentioned here at Quad in other threads my dissatisfaction with many LIVE HIREZ efforts like "The Wall" and others, well, here there is excellent separation between band an audience and the music comes through loud, clear and riveting.

If you were planning a purchase, For Canadians I think Costco has it at around $70.00 and Chapters for $105.
Personaly I'd love to hear your impressions of this collection so perhaps this could be THE BEATLES ANTHOLOGY thread, (unless of course someone else has started one)

Peter m.

Last edited:
petermwilson said:
Hi,

Not sure if I'm late to the party on this one but a buddy lent me the 5 discs that make up this package and although I'm only on the second disc, (actually the third because I watched the intro disc first) whether or not your a Beatles fan, you owe it to yourself to watch and more importantly listen to this package.

Peter m.
The only thing I would add, Peter, is that on top of watching & listening to the Beatles video "Anthology" is to OWN it! I pulled out the first DVD in the middle of this week and it all comes flooding back! I don't think I'll ever tire of this wonderful collection.

I wholeheartedly agree this is a great package, but it is not 16:9, just regular 4:3, most all the archival materials were that ratio anyway.

Hi,
Your probably right re the 4/3. I use a scaling card in my pc which is sent to my 16/9 tv which is set to anamorphic. It looked so natural I hadn't considered that it was 4/3 given the dd5.1 and dts. All I have are the discs which when I look at them now are marked ntsc which I guess is synonomous with 4/3.

Thanks for the correction.

Peter m.

beljah said:
The only thing I would add, Peter, is that on top of watching & listening to the Beatles video "Anthology" is to OWN it! I pulled out the first DVD in the middle of this week and it all comes flooding back! I don't think I'll ever tire of this wonderful collection.
I may be the first person to "wear out" a DVD.....this gets regular play in my house. Apple CAN do it right when they want!

"All I have are the discs which when I look at them now are marked ntsc which I guess is synonomous with 4/3."

NTSC is a format....nothing to do with 4:3 or 16:9.

Hi,
There's also a companion book (now in softcover) retailing for $35us.
Its binder height, 13", and about 370 pages.

I'm looking forward to when their music is released in HIREZ. I hope Paul George, Ringo and George Martin produce it themselves.

Does anyone have any news regarding this?

Peter m.

petermwilson said:
Hi,
There's also a companion book (now in softcover) retailing for $35us.
Its binder height, 13", and about 370 pages.

I'm looking forward to when their music is released in HIREZ. I hope Paul George, Ringo and George Martin produce it themselves.

Does anyone have any news regarding this?

Peter m.

I am going to guess that George (Harrison) isnt going to be much help. And George Martin's hearing is blown out so I have read.... Better let Steve Hoffman do it. :D

Back