The Blues Thread (Surround-Stereo-Mono) Anything Goes.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listening to some super fine blues tonight!

Attachments

• 6A51C23E-F680-4935-8C17-F3F96F3C6227.jpeg
    6A51C23E-F680-4935-8C17-F3F96F3C6227.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Blues spins lately:

My Labors (& more) - Nick Gravenites w/Michael Bloomfield UK CD
Blues People - Eric Bibb Taj Mahal, Blind Boys of Alabama & Linda Tillery guest CD
Complete Aristocrat & Chess Singles '49 - '62 - Muddy Waters UK 4 CD
Come on in This House - Junior Wells 5.1 SACD
Lightning Strikes - Lightning Hopkins CD
Live in NYC '97 - Johnny Winter CD

Pot, Spoon, Pipe and Jug - Jazz & Blues sides on LP - VA, incl Leadbelly, Cab Calloway, Lil Green, Champion Jack Dupree, Victoria Spivey, Lonnie Johnson & more. DEPRAVITY!!

https://www.discogs.com/master/1743...-Pipe-And-Jug-14-Jazz-Vocals-And-Reefer-Songs

I have three DVD's that Buddy Guy is on, not necessarily as the only performer. Can't say he shines on all of them.
Buddy Guy - Live at Montreux 2004 (DTS-DD 5.1)[DVDV]
Buddy Guy - Live! The Real Deal (1996) (DD5.1) [DVDV]
Buddy Guy and Eric Clapton - Live at Ronnie Scots & Marciac Jazz Festival (DD 5.1) [DVDV]

Sometimes it seems like he wants to be an entertainer more than a musician. IDK. I still have a lot of respect.

Blue spins in black or silver:

Complete Works in Recorded Order v 1-3 (of 15) - Roosevelt Sykes Austria CD's
Crossroads Festival '13 - Clapton, Taj Mahal, Keb' Mo, Gary Clark Jr & more 2 BD
A Space in Time - Ten Years After BD
Catalyst - Willie Dixon QS
Hidden Treasures of Taj Mahal ('69 -'73)/Live at Albert Hall '70 - 2 CD from Complete Columbia box

Bluebird Recordings '36 - '38 - Tampa Red 2 CD
Watch Your Back - Guitar Shorty CD
Saints & Sinners - Johnny Winter SQ
I Am the Blues - Willie Dixon MoFi Silver CD

Blue Light Boogie - Taj Mahal guests include James Cotton, Sam Moore, James Brown, Hall & Oates CD

River of Love link:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/whats-your-latest-earworm.23221/page-34
Bonus track for QQ Blues Fans Only. Studio version on Blue Light Boogie. A live version of Big Legged Mamas Are Back in Style Again from '89:

Bluebird Recordings '36 - '38 - Tampa Red 2 CD
Watch Your Back - Guitar Shorty CD
Saints & Sinners - Johnny Winter SQ
I Am the Blues - Willie Dixon MoFi Silver CD

Blue Light Boogie - Taj Mahal guests include James Cotton, Sam Moore, James Brown, Hall & Oates CD

River of Love link:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/whats-your-latest-earworm.23221/page-34
Bonus track for QQ Blues Fans Only. Studio version on Blue Light Boogie. A live version of Big Legged Mamas Are Back in Style Again from '89:

Sweet blues boogie from the Taj.
Thanks Linda!

Keb' Mo SACD
Born Under a Bad Sign - Albert King MoFi Gold CD eager for coming SACD

The Honeydripper - Roosevelt Sykes w/King Curtis Prestige Bluesville CD
Honeydripper was Sykes' nickname, hence many different albums of his with this title, most are compilations, though this isn't. LP fans: top banner is brown on original release. Bought my '69 LP reissue sealed in the 70s. Banner is blue.

https://www.discogs.com/release/4635613-Roosevelt-Sykes-The-Honeydripper

Jazz Odyssey: Sound of Chicago CBS 3 LP mono Mostly jazz, though 7 tracks are blues. 1923-'40 I picked this up in 1970.

https://www.discogs.com/master/1425952-Various-The-Sound-Of-Chicago-1923-1940

Keb' Mo SACD
Born Under a Bad Sign - Albert King MoFi Gold CD eager for coming SACD

The Honeydripper - Roosevelt Sykes w/King Curtis Prestige Bluesville CD
Honeydripper was Sykes' nickname, hence many different albums of his with this title, most are compilations, though this isn't. LP fans: top banner is brown on original release. Bought my '69 LP reissue sealed in the 70s. Banner is blue.

https://www.discogs.com/release/4635613-Roosevelt-Sykes-The-Honeydripper

Jazz Odyssey: Sound of Chicago CBS 3 LP mono Mostly jazz, though 7 tracks are blues. 1923-'40 I picked this up in 1970.

https://www.discogs.com/master/1425952-Various-The-Sound-Of-Chicago-1923-1940

I'll have to get a copy of the The Honeydripper, I've never come across Roosevelt Sykes!

I complete on him, I think... He recorded from the '20's - late 70's. My #2 fave bluesman of all time. Big on double entendres. He did a QS album on ABC Bluesway. Once again, there are other albums of his with that title. Here's the title track of '73 QS LP (pop needle drop):

https://www.discogs.com/release/4474951-Roosevelt-Sykes-Dirty-Double-Mother

I've found a copy of Dirty Double Mother at a very reasonable £8.00 + £3.90 P&P. Were all the ABC Broadway LPs single inventory QS? as there are no indications on any LP I can find on Discogs all say Stereo, yet the Cat. No. BLS-6077 matches that shown in Mark Anderson's Quad LP list.

Discs ALL say stereo. So do jackets. There were three LP labels of this:
1- US
2- US promo label
3- French Probe

My US LP came with a sticker on shrink wrap which appeared to be from ABC: compatible Quad. Mark Anderson indeed lists it as QS. I've always been fond of the music, but not impressed with the Quad mix. This is the record that began my love of Sykes. I've bought everything I could find of his since.

There were a variety of one-off LP's for various labels. Masters of Country Blues DVD series featured Sykes on two DVD's. One also featured Lightnin' Hopkins, Big Bill Broonzy was the artist featured on the other DVD.

For earlier works, there's Austrian reissue label Blues Document's 15 volume CD Complete Works in Recorded Order. Johnny Parth and other renowned blues collectors provided their rare 78's for the project.

Sykes also recorded several albums for a late friend, Bob Koester. Bob owned Delmark Records label and Jazz Record Mart.

As to ABC, most titles, though not all on Impulse or Bluesway would be QS only from '72 - '77 approx. None use that name or logo. Instead, nearly all say: compatible stereo/quadraphonic. That way, no royalty was due Sansui for QS licensing. A few do, in fact, say nothing.

ABC pop titles were available as 2ch on ABC. Quads were again marked as compatible and issued as "Command Quadraphonic" series.

Long after ABC Records went out of business, its' former President ran a company that acquired us. We spent a long weekend together in Pasadena for the Super Bowl. Discussed our business, but not ABC or Quad.

Trip was courtesy of one of our largest vendors. The deal was that management and our top 20 salespeople nationally were taken to Super Bowl w/spouses. For our part, we agreed to buy their entire remaining discontinued inventory. We blew through it in a matter of days. And we even begged for more. Another time for more details...

Discs ALL say stereo. So do jackets. There were three LP labels of this:
1- US
2- US promo label
3- French Probe

My US LP came with a sticker on shrink wrap which appeared to be from ABC: compatible Quad. Mark Anderson indeed lists it as QS. I've always been fond of the music, but not impressed with the Quad mix. This is the record that began my love of Sykes. I've bought everything I could find of his since.

There were a variety of one-off LP's for various labels. Masters of Country Blues DVD series featured Sykes on two DVD's. One also featured Lightnin' Hopkins, Big Bill Broonzy was the artist featured on the other DVD.

For earlier works, there's Austrian reissue label Blues Document's 15 volume CD Complete Works in Recorded Order. Johnny Parth and other renowned blues collectors provided their rare 78's for the project.

Sykes also recorded several albums for a late friend, Bob Koester. Bob owned Delmark Records label and Jazz Record Mart.

As to ABC, most titles, though not all on Impulse or Bluesway would be QS only from '72 - '77 approx. None use that name or logo. Instead, nearly all say: compatible stereo/quadraphonic. That way, no royalty was due Sansui for QS licensing. A few do, in fact, say nothing.

ABC pop titles were available as 2ch on ABC. Quads were again marked as compatible and issued as "Command Quadraphonic" series.

Long after ABC Records went out of business, its' former President ran a company that acquired us. We spent a long weekend together in Pasadena for the Super Bowl. Discussed our business, but not ABC or Quad.

Trip was courtesy of one of our largest vendors. The deal was that management and our top 20 salespeople nationally were taken to Super Bowl w/spouses. For our part, we agreed to buy their entire remaining discontinued inventory. We blew through it in a matter of days. And we even begged for more. Another time for more details...
I've ordered Dirty Double Mother (may be it will be QS, but cheap enough not to matter if not) and the same vendor on Discogs had a QS LP of Keith Jarrett "Death And The Flower" so I got that as well!

Back