The Blues Thread (Surround-Stereo-Mono) Anything Goes.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sticin' with Albert, Live in Germany.
R-8653506-1465982898-4015.jpeg.jpg

J.Pupster planted the seed in my head about having a Blues Music discussion thread and I finally am getting around to it.
I love Blues music, there are so many great artists and I have ran into a few of you who have a deep knowledge of The Blues.
Mine is pretty good and I have a good collection in all the various formats and always wanting to hear something new that I get turned on to..
There are so many good blues discs and LP's and I was trying to figure out what would be my opening picture for this thread. Is it going to be Cream, B.B. King, The Allman Brothers Band, Canned Heat, John Lee Hooker, we could go on forever, but I realized I really got turned onto the Blues from the British acts listening to them as a rock act and having the blues come at me through the back door.
So I went back as far as I could go in my mind and the first intentional Blues album I bought was 1971's Fleetwood Mac In Chicago. I have always loved this. There is a CD version called The Complete Blue Horizon Sessions.
Looking for all you Blues Buffs to let it fly, no rules.
View attachment 60385
I bought the 2-CD version of this album this on word of mouth and have been hooked on the Peter Green era of Fleetwood Mac ever since. The Complete Blue Horizon Sessions is a great 6-CD boxed set (including two CD's for this album) with a lot of great false starts, alternate takes, and studio banter. It was my second purchase after the Chicago jam album, and totally recommend it if you're a fan of Fleetwood Mac as a blues band.

kinda maxed out on Chicago blues early in life... it all resparked when I first heard Canned Heat, Future Blues is definitely an "avant-garde" Delta Blues masterpiece, but, since it happened so long ago and both the Bear and the Owl passed away so long ago I felt that it was all in the past...but I knew that Delta Blues was the REAL thing
UNTIL
I moved to New Orleans,,,now THAT will turn a skeptic on again to the real blues, which to me is ..DELTA blues...saw and met Little Freddie King at the DBA (which CLOSED!) and also also saw and met Jimmy"Duck" Holmes at the Blue Front Café in Bentonia, Mississippi...now THAT is hardcore blues...I learned the DEPTH of the blues and I appreciate it endlessly now...

I learned the DEPTH of the blues and I appreciate it endlessly now...
It's all good, just different. I come from a 60+ year life in Chicago and it's blues is part of my soul.
I love Dr. John's 1992 Goin back to New Orleans and his 2001 Creole Moon.
But at the end of the day, for me, there's none other than Bobby "Blue" Bland. Not sure what blues style you call it but Bobby Rules. LOL

I bought the 2-CD version of this album this on word of mouth and have been hooked on the Peter Green era of Fleetwood Mac ever since. The Complete Blue Horizon Sessions is a great 6-CD boxed set (including two CD's for this album) with a lot of great false starts, alternate takes, and studio banter. It was my second purchase after the Chicago jam album, and totally recommend it if you're a fan of Fleetwood Mac as a blues band.
I attended the first show Splinter group did at Wilbert's in Cleveland when PG made his "comeback" tour. We were told not to touch him as he walked thru crowd to the stage. He signed this solo lp with his real name, Greenbaum.

Attachments

• IMG_20210118_214449657.jpg
    IMG_20210118_214449657.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 74
I attended the first show Splinter group did at Wilbert's in Cleveland when PG made his "comeback" tour. We were told not to touch him as he walked thru crowd to the stage. He signed this solo lp with his real name, Greenbaum.
Damn cool.

I would have liked to see Splinter Group before Green passed. Now the Mick Fleetwood Blues Band is the closest I'll get to seeing vintage Fleetwood Mac.

The most played disc of my Blue Horizon box set is the Pious Bird of Good Omen. If you love electric blues, apart from the obvious tracks Black Magic Woman, Jigsaw Puzzle Blues and the beautiful Albatross, there are multiple takes of Need Your Love So Bad. This is a master class in understatement that all blues guitar players should have to comprehend before doing a gig. Wonderful vocals and just enough of the right guitar notes to make it perfect
Two of my favorite box sets. Agree Mac box is stellar. Yardbirds also.

Attachments

• IMG_20210211_205439891.jpg
    IMG_20210211_205439891.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20210211_205518095.jpg
    IMG_20210211_205518095.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 80
I just picked up my first VMP (Vinyl Me Please) reissue. I got it used for relatively cheap because the guy didn't care for the music! "It Serve You Right to Suffer" by John Lee Hooker. Excellent packaging, great pressing and of course excellent tunes. This is the antithesis of the record clubs of my youth (no 12 albums for a penny here, LOL).

Back