The Blues Thread (Surround-Stereo-Mono) Anything Goes.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen Johnny Winter two times, once at The Fillmore, I thought he was a corpse, wasn't doing well at all, and most recently 6 months before he died at Yoshii's in Oakland, he was still ravaged by whatever, but he was in good musical shape.
This 4 CD disc set is a great purchase, listening to Disc 1 now.
View attachment 60386
Easily the greatest of the white blues players. Actually, one of the few I consider to be a blues player. Call me a snob, but I call Clapton, Peter Green and Mike Bloomfield rock players with a blues influence.

Easily the greatest of the white blues players. Actually, one of the few I consider to be a blues player. Call me a snob, but I call Clapton, Peter Green and Mike Bloomfield rock players with a blues influence.
I completely agree with you on Clapton, I do think Peter Green and Michael Bloomfield where happy to start and finish in blues but in order to keep food on the table, they had to swing a bit with the record companys.
I heard Rick Beato on one of his You Tube shows say "all the greatest guitar players are still alive today" of course someone could put out a list of great guitar players that have passed, that's not the point. You look at people of our age we certainly have heard and seen the greatest of all time, I missed Django.
But seriously there certainly is not a crop of youngsters that will balance out all the current great guitar players.
This 3 CD 1 DVD set of Bloomfield is a must, and I also really like his instruction CD called If You Love These Blues---------
R-6344211-1520017329-6189.png.jpg

As a youngster in the early 70s we would ardently read the pages of Melody Maker or NME (UK music press), or listen to the radio when they interviewed people like Clapton, then we'd go and dig out LPs by the artists who they said influenced them. So I encountered John Lee Hooker, BB King, Robert Johnson, Leadbelly, Albert King, Otis Rush etc. as a direct result and became a fan of the 'Blues', Clapton's version of 'I shot the Sheriff' made me go an listen to Bob Marley & The Wailers (who sadly I never got to see). Can a white artist be a 'true' Blues artist is an interesting topic, I'm not sure they can as they never endured the harsh life and realities of living during the foundation of what we call the Blues, but they are most definitely and positively heavily influenced by those early pioneers. Listening to the Blues has made me go out and discover African artists like Salif Keita, Tinariwen and Songhoy Blues (both brilliant at the gigs I've seen them at).

That's awesome DuncanS, I will have to look them up. I saw Buddy Guy a couple years ago at The Masonic in SF with Jeff Beck and ol Buddy went on and on about the British players being solely responsible for the Blues revival.
Buddy Guy is somebody I'd love to see (got lots of his albums), seen Eric Clapton a few times, and I did manage to see BB King a few years ago (25th June 2009 to be exact!) where the support band was John Mayall. Jeff Beck gig was postponed from last year to this, but expect this to be moved to 2022.

I consider myself so lucky musically, being born and living my first 60 years on the near west side of Chicago. All the greats were right at hand and being a blues lover I've had the great luck to have spent time hearing them play numerous times in person. One of my fondest memories was being at Fitzgerald's with Lonnie and Ronnie Brooks for Lonnnie's 65th birthday, what a time we had. Ronnie was playing wireless and walking around on the tabletops playing for everyone.. I got backstage on one of the breaks and tossed back a couple with the crew in celibration of the big mans B-Day..
Hard and sad to grow old, most all of Chicago's blues crew are now passed or too old to perform any more. Makes a good HiFi all the more valuable.

Times Have Changed

4767FFFF-91B0-4099-B84A-3C994715DC9A.jpeg

This thread prompted me to play this again, bought new years ago from a discount/dollar store.
One of the great ‘finds’ of my collecting life.
Excellent album! And HDCD encoded.

There appear to be quite a few similar variations of the cover art. This is the one I have , on the Snapper label, though it’s more blue than the picture

Have been following this thread since it's inception and been meaning to post.📫

To celebrate Fat Tuesday, check out Dookie Chase Boogie by Roosevelt Sykes. In the barrel house style. Makes you want to head for NOLA and celebrate w/that great Chase cooking.

Off Sykes' Dirty Double Mother (fo' ya) 1973 album for ABC/Bluesway. QS encoded.

Spinning these lately:

Ma Rainey CD Milestone MCD-47021-2 mono

Complete Aristocrat and Chess Singles '49-'62 Muddy Waters UK 4 CD mono

Lil Green UK CD mono

Lightnin' Hopkins UK 4 CD

Super, Super Blues Band (Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters & Bo Diddley) UK CD

My Labors - Nick Gravenites (w/Bloomfield) 7 1/2 ips reel

Last edited:
First saw Johnny in '69 opening for CCR. Then 13 more times over the years. He played circles around all the others. Last show was three months before he passed.

Back