The Blues Thread (Surround-Stereo-Mono) Anything Goes.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I LOVE my JSP Blues SACDs! I own eleven RELEASES
Great, I own all eleven also, whish there was more. My very first was Bryther Smith in fact I think was one of my first 10 of MCH when I started in 2014.

How are the surround mixes on these JSP albums?

If one were to pick up one or two, are there a couple that are the cream of the crop?

Buddy Guy is somebody I'd love to see (got lots of his albums), seen Eric Clapton a few times, and I did manage to see BB King a few years ago (25th June 2009 to be exact!) where the support band was John Mayall. Jeff Beck gig was postponed from last year to this, but expect this to be moved to 2022.
Saw Buddy three times. If you've seen one show you've seen them all. Have the E string he broke and tossed into the crowd. Good gigs, just same show each time.

Don't ever forget Canned Heat. I have all the SHM CD's mini lP's released by CDJapan in 2017.
Canned Heat was the first ever rock concert (San Jose Fairgrounds) I went to in 1968, lots of older people where there I was 13.
Another super good CD is the two disc set called The Blind Owl by Alan Wilson.
R-10692659-1502517693-8955.jpeg.jpg
R-9012739-1473260429-8003.jpeg.jpg

View attachment 62987 View attachment 62988 View attachment 62989
None are particularly 'exciting' surround wise but great music always wins!
Excellent choices, Duncan. Robert Cray and Rory Gallagher are deservedly recognized as great guitarists but The Groundhogs’ TS McPhee is severely overlooked. Although the Hogs stepped away from the blues early in their recorded career, the trilogy of Thank Christ For The Bomb, Split, and Who Will Save The World deserve to be heard by all music lovers and especially those that love great and innovative guitar playing.

Don't ever forget Canned Heat. I have all the SHM CD's mini lP's released by CDJapan in 2017.
Canned Heat was the first ever rock concert (San Jose Fairgrounds) I went to in 1968, lots of older people where there I was 13.
Another super good CD is the two disc set called The Blind Owl by Alan Wilson.
View attachment 64027View attachment 64028
I saw a later incarnation in '78 when they played my University, the hall was absolutely packed, so many people we were squeezed in tight, I had to stand on some beer cans to see!

Excellent choices, Duncan. Robert Cray and Rory Gallagher are deservedly recognized as great guitarists but The Groundhogs’ TS McPhee is severely overlooked. Although the Hogs stepped away from the blues early in their recorded career, the trilogy of Thank Christ For The Bomb, Split, and Who Will Save The World deserve to be heard by all music lovers and especially those that love great and innovative guitar playing.
The first live band I ever saw were The Groundhogs in 1974, I think I have every album in most formats, and all the Tony TS McPhee solos as well! Sadly Tony McPhee had a bad stroke a few years ago so doesn't do much Groundhogs & Tony McPhee Official Web Site (thegroundhogs.co.uk) though they have a facebook page - but I won't do farcebook!

Good to know Markie. Wish they'd repress their fantastic Multi~CH SACD catalogue which are sadly OOP...and issue NEW ones, as well!

https://www.hraudio.net/search.php?format=1&keywords=JSP+RECORDS
I had a couple back and forth emails with John from JSP Records. He said "the costs of manufacturing the SACDs proved impossible to overcome in the end".
We continued and I showed him QQ and some other stuff, he commented "I will explore this with manufacturers and distributors and if there is any way I can get back into it I will. I personally love the whole 5.1 thing."

Very positive, wouldn't you say? Check out the JSP site, maybe buy a couple CD's and show your support for surround BLUES listening.
Record Label | JSP Records

Last edited:
Listening to Texas Blues this morning. I think my favorite Blues.
Texas Blues adds that Texas swing to the mix, like Bob Wills and Missipppii Blues comes together. It is that swing that really puts it different than others.
This two CD collection I have had for a long time and I always listen to it.
R-3999470-1351884778-8756.jpeg.jpg

I was thinking of Texas Blues and of course Johnny Winter pops right up. If it where not for Paul Nelson ol JW would not have had a ressurected carrer. Paul took him from the bottom cleaned him up and made a pretty good final run. Paul played rhythm with JW in his final band. I met Paul and Johnny along with Joe Louis Walker at Yoshii's in Oakland, Paul a very humble guy.

Paul Nesons only CD.
61TvACUBhZL._AC_UY218_.jpg
A must film for Johnny Winter fans.
91Zfg4-6a4L._SX385_.jpg

Last edited:
Woke up this morning and thought I would start with two Walter Trout CD's.
2019 Survivor Blues and 2017 Where All In This Together which is a really good guest artist release.
My first Walter Trout disc was 2014 The blues Came Callin', and all discs since then have chronicled Walter's life with cancer, strong cat that really kept up the fight.
R-12982287-1548513577-5759.mpo.jpg
R-10784458-1519228191-1129.jpeg.jpg

Woke up this morning and thought I would start with two Walter Trout CD's.
2019 Survivor Blues and 2017 Where All In This Together which is a really good guest artist release.
My first Walter Trout disc was 2014 The blues Came Callin', and all discs since then have chronicled Walter's life with cancer, strong cat that really kept up the fight.
View attachment 64171View attachment 64172
I have managed to see him at a smallish gig, was excellent

GOS, gators got her 👵 Granny. Chomp, Chomp, Chomp, Chomp...

Blues People - Eric Bibb Canada CD w/Taj Mahal, Blind Boys of Alabama & more
Have caught Taj live, as well as Eric. Got to meet Eric when he played the theater at Old Town School of Folk. In the early 2000's, they opened on Lincoln in Chicago. Have several Opus 3 LP's and CD's he was kind enough to autograph.

Bloomfield (a Retrospective) 2 LP Columbia '80's compilation
All tracks are on aforementioned 3 CD/1 DVD box set, which I also have

I Do Not Play No Rock and Roll - Mississippi Fred McDowell 2 CD Capitol Blues Collection #12
Capitol & Just Sunshine late '60's albums & unreleased tracks. Red Cross Store!

Two Great Guitarists - UK CD of '64 Chuck Berry/Bo Diddley Chess LP of instrumental duets.

The Bluebird Recordings '34 - '36 - Tampa Red (Bluebird was RCA's Blues/Jazz label) 2 CD Highly recommended 👌

The Guitar 🎸Wizard - Tampa Red Sony Roots & Blues CD 💿 Highly recommend
Compilation of Vocalion (NOT Dutton) & OKeh '20's sides. Tampa's pianist and partner on several sides here was Georgia Tom Dorsey. Likely you know him as Thomas A. Dorsey, Father of modern gospel music.

Years ago, I attended the Aurora (IL) Blues Festival. I asked one of the folks from the Fest where the '30's Aurora sides were recorded. He told me to go to the condo building on the next block, formerly the Leland Hotel 🏨

I rang the guy's buzzer who he referred me to. Got a tour of the Ballroom on the top floor. Lester Melrose, RCA A&R man brought many blues artists to record Bluebirds there in the '30's, including Tampa Red. There weren't union rules 30 miles west of Chicago in (now suburban) Kane County back then.

It was a kick to be in the room where so many great '30's blues records in my collection were recorded. Caught Sugar Blue live that day, among others.

Back