The Church "Forget Yourself" DualDisc

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neon Kitten

Just a quick mention of this one, apparently due out either today or next Tuesday, depending on which Amazon site you visit :)

This will be a DualDisc re-release of the brilliant 2003 album from Australian band The Church, and while the original album came out on the Cooking Vinyl label (on CD :) ) this new DualDisc will be released by Silverline and 5.1 Entertainment.

With all the negativity towards Silverline around here, I might be able to ease the worries of those who've wondered if this one will be in "fake surround".

It will be a true 5.1 surround mix, supervised by none other than Tim Powles, who as well as being the band's drummer, also produced and mixed the original stereo version. Very good news indeed!

This is confirmed by a short news item on his studio's web site:

5.1 mixing in the US Oct 2004
Tim heads to New York for 7 days to oversee the 5.1 mixing of Forget Yourself.

First Amazon to stock it gets my business immediately :banana:

I picked this one up as an import from eil.com

The Church has always been hit or miss with me. While I love their more commercial releases of the ‘80s (The Unguarded Moment is still one of my favorite songs), I am less enthused with their more ambient/spacey/trippy forays. Unfortunately this release falls into the “miss” category for me.

The 5.1 mix however serves the music well and if you are a fan of the style the release is worth checking out.

Perhaps I can lobby for a 5.1 release of some of the old stuff or some more recent albums such as “Somewhere Anywhere” or “Hologram of Baal”.

Greg

Cai Campbell said:
Is the 5.1 mix hi-rez or DD?

Finally got my copy of this: the 5.1 mix is, as expected, a true multichannel mix (actually 4.1, as the centre channel is not used). The disc is a true DVD-Audio disc.

The album is offered in four formats on the DVD-A side: MLP 5.1 and stereo at 48KHz 24bit (the lower sampling rate undoubtedly due to space limitations), and Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0.

Got this one in the mail yesterday. I haven't been able to listen to it all the way through because it is really really compressed. It makes it sound like you're playing it through a $150 home theater in a box (or at least what I imagine they sound like). I realize that they are going for that smooth sound, but it really needs some dynamics - it winds up sounding like noise. Bummer. I'll try it again sometime, but it seems like a wasted effort.

Hey, anybody else remember the Church sunday afternoon drinking session in Kings Cross London? I was living/working at a pub at Kings x during the winter of '93-'94 and there was a pub/club up the road somewhere that did a lock-in on Sunday afternoons (in those days the pubs closed Sunday afternoon) so all the Aussies and Kiwis could get pissed. I don't know the whole story but it did have some connection to the band - though it may have been just to remind the antopodeans of home. I remember going once or twice and even being photographed by TNT, though I didn't make it in that time...

BananaSlug said:
Got this one in the mail yesterday. I haven't been able to listen to it all the way through because it is really really compressed. It makes it sound like you're playing it through a $150 home theater in a box (or at least what I imagine they sound like). I realize that they are going for that smooth sound, but it really needs some dynamics - it winds up sounding like noise. Bummer. I'll try it again sometime, but it seems like a wasted effort.

Give it some time and a few more listens; like much of The Church's later material, it only properly reveals itself after a few plays.

Coudln't find a poll, so I'll post my thoughts here:

A good 5.1 mix serves psychedelic music well, and this is a good mix. There's lots of variety, too - different songs use different spatial arrangements, rather than just keeping the same layout of instruments. But as well as being adventurous, there is subtlety. E.g. in one of the songs the voice stays in the centre but fades slowly to reverb by spreading out to the other four speakers. And this is DVD-A, although only 48k. But, and it is a big but, the sound is fuzzy. It's been mentioned above as being compressed, which might be the reason or it might be whatever effects The Church like to add to their music (including compression). Whatever, it makes the music hard to discern at times. I compared the MLP to the dulby track and it sounded similar, so it's a bit of a waste of the hi-res capabilities. So, although it's a really good mix, it's very hampered by the production. 7.

Back