SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lavinia Meijer's harp recitals are wonderful...especially the music of Glass. I have several of her SACDs. Let us know how you like those CDs.

Sorry... Can't help you on the DVD of Richter's Vivaldi.

I just picked up a couple of multichannel recordings of contemporary classical music by 2 female composers. The first is a Wergo SACD with 2 pieces by Chaya Czernowin: "Hidden" and "adiantum capillus-veneris: maidenhair fern - studies in fragility". "Hidden" is for string quartet and electronics. The multichannel recording is discrete and immersive on the 43-minute work. "Adiantum" is simply for mezzo-soprano voice, and breath, mostly in the front 3 channels. The rears are ambient on this piece. The music is very slow, abstract and experimental. It's not melodic, rather it's a cascade of rustling, crackling, and murmuring sounds. According to the composer, "Hidden tries to explore what lies concealed beneath the surface of expression - under the music." Here's a review link... http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2018/Feb/Czernowin_hidden_WER73552.htm

The second recording is a Sono Luminus BD-A with music by Anna Thorvaldsdottir: "In the Light of Air". This music is also very slow and experimental, but more accessible than the music of Czernowin. It's relaxing, meditative ambient music for viola, cello, harp, piano, percussion, and electronics. The MC recording is a wrap-a-round type and fully immersive. Here's a review link... https://www.secondinversion.org/201...ght-of-air-ice-performs-anna-thorvaldsdottir/

I listened to both pieces of music last night and I'm afraid I found the first by Chaya Czernowin a bit hard going. I could see why it would sound great in surround but it was too a-melodic for me. I only heard 30-second snippets of In the Light of Air and I liked that ore, so I'll see if I can find more of it online as I think it'll end up in my collection.

I listened to both pieces of music last night and I'm afraid I found the first by Chaya Czernowin a bit hard going. I could see why it would sound great in surround but it was too a-melodic for me. I only heard 30-second snippets of In the Light of Air and I liked that ore, so I'll see if I can find more of it online as I think it'll end up in my collection.

The Wergo label has released several MC SACDs over the years. The music tends to be contemporary classical that pushes the boundaries a bit. Most of it isn't everyday listening for me, but I do enjoy this experimental stuff when I'm in the right mood...and that seems to be happening more & more as I get older. I guess it cleans the wax out of my ears. LOL! ;) Anyway, most Wergo SACDs have active rear channels in the surround mix, so I am always on the look out for their MC releases. But, I agree that In the Light of Air is easier on the ears.

Speaking about challenging music, I have recently been listening to Sono Luminius's BD-A of the Spektral Quartet's "Serious Business". It's an amazing performance & recording, but again the music can be a bit hard going... even though most of it is meant to be funny. The humor in these pieces is quirky, satirical and often dark. Haydn, who often includes levity in his works (even a fart :poop: in a symphony! :p LOL), adds a nice breather with his delightful string quartet "The Joke". The other works are definitely out there, but I must say I enjoyed the disc...thanks in no small part to the incredible playing of the Spektral Quartet. The MC mix is discrete and immersive.

Here's a review link:
https://www.newsounds.org/story/humor-and-fiendish-difficulty-spektral-quartets-serious-business/

And a bit about their performances with video & audio links:
https://www.chicagoreader.com/chica...s-contemporary-classical/Content?oid=20911838

Last edited:
Perhaps not as out there as you're used to Brett but I bought this CD by Uri Caine a while ago and it contains some of the most rogue transcriptions of Mahler ever, and is feral and fun in equal measure! The track below gives you an idea of how much Caine tore up the original score.

In other news, I bought this LSO Live Mendelssohn box set earlier (although I don't expect it to arrive till sometime in the new year) and as with the Neilsen and Sibelius box sets, it contains mch SACDs and a blu ray disc as well.

Perhaps not as out there as you're used to Brett but I bought this CD by Uri Caine a while ago and it contains some of the most rogue transcriptions of Mahler ever, and is feral and fun in equal measure! The track below gives you an idea of how much Caine tore up the original score.

In other news, I bought this LSO Live Mendelssohn box set earlier (although I don't expect it to arrive till sometime in the new year) and as with the Neilsen and Sibelius box sets, it contains mch SACDs and a blu ray disc as well.

Uri Caine is an amazing guy. I've met him--and heard him play live, with his own jazz trio and as part of trumpeter Dave Douglas's first great quintet (which also included Chris Potter). He did several of these "reimaginings" of classical composers, but I think the two Mahler albums are the best. The film makes a nice companion piece.

In re: @Lute's post earlier today: I've never heard a Sono Luminus disc that wasn't worth getting for the sound alone. (And luckily, the performances and repertoire are usually stellar, too!)

Uri Caine is an amazing guy. I've met him--and heard him play live, with his own jazz trio and as part of trumpeter Dave Douglas's first great quintet (which also included Chris Potter). He did several of these "reimaginings" of classical composers, but I think the two Mahler albums are the best. The film makes a nice companion piece.

In re: @Lute's post earlier today: I've never heard a Sono Luminus disc that wasn't worth getting for the sound alone. (And luckily, the performances and repertoire are usually stellar, too!)

You've met Uri Caine? Fantastic! Am I right in saying he's a New Yorker? Irrespective, there's no denying his talent. And there's a film? I never knew that (off I goes to see if I can find it on Youtube...)

I found part of the documentary - Uri really knows and loves his Mahler, that's for sure. And speaking of documentaries, what a great storyteller is Leonard Bernstein.

(storytelling of Das Lied Von Der Erde begins at 5 mins although it's worth watching from the start all the same)

Bernstein on Mahler (for the young people of the day way back when)

Visions & Variations - the latest album from the 17-member classical ensemble A Far Cry.

Nominated for 2 Grammy Awards (Best Engineered Album - Classical and Best Chamber Music - Small Ensemble Performance).
Now available not just on Stereo CD but also in Stereo, Surround Sound and Binaural DSD (up to DSD 256).

A Far Cry - 664.png

A Far Cry Returns to Native DSD with 2 Grammy Award Nominations!

Dreams and Prayers featuring A Far Cry is one of the all-time best-selling DSD albums at Native DSD Music. It also introduced our headphone listeners to the joys of Binaural DSD music and was one of our initial releases in DSD 128 Stereo.

Now the talented ensemble of 17 musicians of A Far Cry brings us their newest release Visions and Variations, an album nominated for 2 Grammy Awards (Best Engineered Album - Classical and Best Chamber Music - Small Ensemble Performance), that features the music of Benjamin Britten, Ethan Wood, and Sergei Prokofiev. The album was recorded at Mechanics Hall in Worcester MA by Producer Jesse Lewis and Recording Engineer Tom Caulfield in DSD 256 Stereo, Surround Sound and Binaural. One listen to this album in DSD will quickly tell you why this is a multi-Grammy nominated performance!

This is a DSD Exclusive release, Not Available on SACD. You can get it at the Native DSD Music store today in Stereo, Surround Sound and Binaural DSD 256, DSD 128, DSD 64, and DXD. Save 15% on the album by purchasing it by December 31, 2018 with offer code CELEBRATE.

The Criers say "Each of the three selections on this album offers a journey into one miniature world after another. Every one colorful, characterful, complete. Just as the Criers strive to honor each musician’s individual voice in the context of something larger, these works contextualize dozens of distinct visions, pulling them together into a wonderful form of unity. We hope you’ll be as inspired and captivated by these fleeting glimpses, and the stories they suggest, as we are."

The Native DSD Blog notes "Visions and Variations is the double Grammy Award-nominated new album from Crier Records featuring A Far Cry, one of America’s premiere chamber orchestras. In works by Britten, Prokofiev, and a Mozart-inspired premiere from Ethan Wood, this album features some of the most characterful and beloved music ever written for strings.

Variations on a Theme – alchemical. A set of variations is a chance to bring small disparate units together to create a sum greater than the totality of its parts. Just like the Criers, each individual movement is a complete world, but the worlds combine and transform – they play with each other, they reference each other, and before you know it you’re standing in a world that is bigger and more beautiful than you ever imagined.

You know that you’re in for a journey, but it’s the type of journey that’s not about the destination – it’s a journey filled with beautiful sights along the way. It’s a kind of traveling that we don’t really do anymore – like walking rather than taking the subway, gives you an appreciation for the totality, the greater beauty.

Prokoviev’s a bunch of visions, but so is Wood and Britten. Ethan also had his own vision in re-imagining the Mozart. With this album, we invite the listener into the world of three of our favorite pieces. Perhaps in them, we see a reflection of ourselves – each individual movement a complete world but interacting, playing, referencing each other, they combine into something greater… We hope you’re inspired and distracted by these glimpses, these visions, and variations, as are we.

Glimpses, sketches – small parts that combine, like the Power Rangers. But when brought together, something newer and larger emerges. Perhaps that’s why we love these sets of variations – in them, we see a reflection of ourselves. Musicians coming together to create a VISION which honors each individual voice, but which transcends them ALL!!!!"

https://crierrecords.nativedsd.com/albums/CR1801-visions-and-variations
https://crierrecords.nativedsd.com/albums/dreams-and-prayers

You've met Uri Caine? Fantastic! Am I right in saying he's a New Yorker? Irrespective, there's no denying his talent. And there's a film? I never knew that (off I goes to see if I can find it on Youtube...)

The film is on DVD--here's the Discogs listing.

Caine is a lovely man, and a native Philadelphian. In fact, if you're a fan of Philly soul and funk, you should check out The Philadelphia Experiment, his collaboration with Questlove and Christian MacBride.

The film is on DVD--here's the Discogs listing.

Caine is a lovely man, and a native Philadelphian. In fact, if you're a fan of Philly soul and funk, you should check out The Philadelphia Experiment, his collaboration with Questlove and Christian MacBride.

Thanks for the heads up, humprof.....just ordered a copy from AmazonUS.

NEW ones start @ $60 but here are some used ones in GOOD to VG condition: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-lis...?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=1546047762&sr=1-1

Visions & Variations - the latest album from the 17-member classical ensemble A Far Cry.

Nominated for 2 Grammy Awards (Best Engineered Album - Classical and Best Chamber Music - Small Ensemble Performance).
Now available not just on Stereo CD but also in Stereo, Surround Sound and Binaural DSD (up to DSD 256).

View attachment 37273

https://crierrecords.nativedsd.com/albums/CR1801-visions-and-variations
https://crierrecords.nativedsd.com/albums/dreams-and-prayers

Sounds good, Brian, fine players :)

For the past few months I've been trying to get into Gunar Letzbor's performance of Vivaldi's 4 Seasons. Unfortunately I must admit that as much as I like Letzbor's other recordings, this one just doesn't work for me. The aggressive, raw style of playing adds some excitement and tension, however the beauty of the music takes too much of a beating. It all ends up wearing me down instead of picking me up. The slightly loud, tubby recording doesn't help, either. I was very surprised because Challenge Classics usually knows how to do Hirez MC exceptionally well.

Last edited:
ARS Produktion SACD Gulda Meets Shostakovich - Friedrich Kleinhapl (violoncello) - Wiener Concert Verein - Rudolf Piehlmayer

4260052382721.jpg

This is the best classical disc that I have ever heard. I was spellbound from beginning to end with never a dull moment inbetween.

True surround - a superb mix putting the listener right in the middle of the ensemble.

Very, very highly recommended.

I bought it from jpc.de in Germany.

Last edited:
ARS Produktion SACD Gulda Meets Shostakovich - Friedrich Kleinhapl (violoncello) - Wiener Concert Verein - Rudolf Piehlmayer

4260052382721.jpg

This is the best classical disc that I have ever heard. I was spellbound from beginning to end with never a dull moment inbetween.

True surround - a superb mix putting the listener right in the middle of the ensemble.

Very, very highly recommended.

I bought it from jpc.de in Germany.

High praise indeed. Has anyone tried any of the other ARS Produktion releases? Presto doesn't seem to have this one yet, and Amazon lists it as forthcoming. (JPC.de is the only place where I could find it in stock.)

While perusing the JPC.de website, I also came across this BD~A [Auro 3D/Dolby Atmos] from Friedrich Gulda: https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/friedrich-gulda-cello-concertos/hnum/8209502

[click to enlarge]

Interesting. I don't know Gulda, but I'd like to--and I enjoy works for cello generally. Looks like Hanssler's first and only foray into Blu-Ray. They also have just one SACD release: Britten's War Requiem, and two multi-channel DVDs: Brahms symphonies and contemporary composer Helge Burggrabe's Stella Maris.

Last edited:
High praise indeed. Has anyone tried any of the other ARS Produktion releases? Presto doesn't seem to have this one yet, and Amazon lists it as forthcoming. (JPC.de is the only place where I could find it in stock.)
While not full out discrete, most ARS Produktion SACDs have an immersive MC mix with the rear channels more involved than the usual subtle ambience of most other labels.

One release of theirs that is worth checking out is "Pictures: die 12 pianisten / Karlsruher Schlagzeug Ensemble". The MC mix produces a wonderfully immersive experience. Here's a review link...
https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=8611#reviews

This morning I'm listening to ARS Produktion's "Hidden Gems Vol. 3 - Ignaz Joseph Pleyel: Piano Trios - IPG Pleyel Klaviertrio". Review: https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=11369#reviews

All 3 volumes available on SACD are fantastic and highly recommended... especially for any fans of Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven's chamber music who are interested in exploring more of the hidden gems of the Classical era.

Volume One on Amazon... https://www.amazon.com/Pleyel-String-Quartets-Hidden-Gems/dp/B00QXYW89S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546136748&sr=8-1&keywords=Pleyel:+3+String+Quartets,+Hidden+Gems,+Vol.+1

While not full out discrete, most ARS Produktion SACDs have an immersive MC mix with the rear channels more involved than the usual subtle ambience of most other labels.

One release of theirs that is worth checking out is "Pictures: die 12 pianisten / Karlsruher Schlagzeug Ensemble". The MC mix produces a wonderfully immersive experience. Here's a review link...
https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=8611#reviews

This morning I'm listening to ARS Produktion's "Hidden Gems Vol. 3 - Ignaz Joseph Pleyel: Piano Trios - IPG Pleyel Klaviertrio". Review: https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=11369#reviews

All 3 volumes available on SACD are fantastic and highly recommended... especially for any fans of Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven's chamber music who are interested in exploring more of the hidden gems of the Classical era.

Volume One on Amazon... https://www.amazon.com/Pleyel-String-Quartets-Hidden-Gems/dp/B00QXYW89S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546136748&sr=8-1&keywords=Pleyel:+3+String+Quartets,+Hidden+Gems,+Vol.+1

Brett, ordered the "Pictures die 12 pianists" and BTW, it's a companion piece to
61%2BZJdw6bSL.jpg
which is likewise EXCELLENT!

Back