SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi surroundophile,
I found it on Amazon (US) . They still have new and used copies available (though I appear to have gotten the last one sold directly from Amazon itself. It arrived on Saturday):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007XHKTO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the link. Just ordered one.

81KCdy1Pt8L._SL1200_.jpg

Last edited:
Really sad to see Pentatone abandon SACD - they released the first disc of Marek Janowski's new Beethoven cycle on SACD, but they just released a box of the entire cycle (apparently no other individual issues) on CD only. Admittedly, is the fourth Beethoven cycle (or near-cycle) on Pentatone, but still.

Ubertrout, I recall when SONY introduced the SACD format they made a commitment to release ALL future catalogue releases in that higher res format when hybrid replaced single layered SACDs with the intention of 'weening' out RBCD. We know THAT never happened but ironically, most classical labels did embrace that philosophy releasing higher quality hybrid single inventory Stereo/Multi~CH SACDs to great acclaim....albeit to a dwindling classical market.

And was it just last year when Pentatone had a phenomenol sale on back catalogue and newer SACDs for roughy $6 each from their website? And with alarming regularity, Pentatone titles were showing up on Berskshire Record Outlet's website for similar pricing and in greater quantities.

Fast forward to the present: not only is the worldwide economy in limbo and with rises in SACD manufacturing costs, I firmly believe this cessation of the Classical hybrid SACD will face a further decline. BIS has been steadfast in releasing new product but when one considers the costs of recording new material, mastering it to hybrid SACD standards, replication of said product and distribution ....to a dwindling niche market ......the writing IS ON THE WALL.

It's just not economically feasible anymore and as this present trend continues, I would exhort anyone with any interest in Classical repertoire to take advantage of these sales before the SACD catalogues of these outstanding labels disappear ... FOREVER!

And yes, Classical RBCDs are usually manufacturered to a higher standard then Rock/Pop CDs, but IMO are nowhere near as sonically alluring as the hybrid Stereo/Multi~CH SACD!

Last edited:
Ubertrout, I recall when SONY introduced the SACD format they made a commitment to release ALL future catalogue releases in that higher res format when hybrid replaced single layered SACDs with the intention of 'weening' out RBCD. We know THAT never happened but ironically, most classical labels did embrace that philosophy releasing higher quality hybrid single inventory Stereo/Multi~CH SACDs to great acclaim....albeit to a dwindling classical market.

And was it just last year when Pentatone had a phenomenol sale on back catalogue and newer SACDs for roughy $6 each from their website? And with alarming regularity, Pentatone titles were showing up on Berskshire Record Outlet's website for similar pricing and in greater quantities.

Fast forward to the present: not only is the worldwide economy in limbo and with rises in SACD manufacturing costs, I firmly believe this cessation of the Classical hybrid SACD will face a further decline. BIS has been steadfast in releasing new product but when one considers the costs of recording new material, mastering it to hybrid SACD standards, replication of said product and distribution ....to a dwindling niche market ......the writing IS ON THE WALL.

It's just not economically feasible anymore and as this present trend continues, I would exhort anyone with any interest in Classical repertoire to take advantage of these sales before the SACD catalogues of these outstanding labels disappear ... FOREVER!

And yes, Classical RBCDs are usually manufacturered to a higher standard then Rock/Pop CDs, but IMO are nowhere near as sonically alluring as the hybrid Stereo/Multi~CH SACD!
Yeah, Channel is only doing SACD for their marquee releases (mainly Ivan Fischer and Rachel Podger), and BIS is doing fewer SACDs as well. The subsidized orchestra labels will stay with SACD longer because they can, but...

Oh well, we've gotten an incredible bounty, certainly compared to any other genre. But the future isn't that bright.

On the bright side: I know that many here find BIS's surround mixes sort of "meh"--and not without reason. (Although in my experience, some are much more active and/or immersive than others.) But I have a real soft spot for Robert von Bahr: he's so driven, so devoted, and so persistent. He's brought out so much music just for the love of it, and he's discovered and promoted so many fabulous mid-tier orchestras. Plus I love how affordable BIS makes its multi-channel downloads on eClassical.com.

So I was glad to see that in its 2020 Classical Music Awards, Gramophone magazine gave "Bissie" a Special Achievement award, and that the award for "Choral" went to Bach Collegium Japan's (multi-channel) re-recording of Bach's St. Matthew Passion--on the BIS label.

Huzzah! (Or, in von Bahr's words: "We will not stand still! We make it happen!")

special-achievement-2020.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post but I was hoping I could get an answer in this thread.....I wasn't able to find any reviews on this anywhere - anyone here have this and could possibly comment? It certainly sounds intriguing.

https://www.amazon.com/Antonion-Vivaldi-Kentala-Virkkala-Boreale/dp/B06X9ZB319/ref=tmm_acd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&coliid=I1W5ORL5QE5ZM1&colid=AUFACA2Y19E3&qid=&sr=
I don't have it but Alba is a Finnish label who does good work. There's a positive review here: VIVALDI The Folk Seasons - Alba ABCD402 [DC] Classical Music Reviews: September 2017 - MusicWeb-International

Alvaro Mendizabal - The Sleep Of Reason - A Classical guitar Story - Ars Produktion 5.1 SACD. I bought it from jpc.de

Breath-taking performance, gorgeous sound, superb presentation - the rears are not just ambience. The material is wonderful. Ox = over the moon.

81rMSq7jrrL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Cross-posting from the "Sales and Discount Codes" thread:

This week's special from BIS/eClassical: Osmo Vänskä's complete Sibelius cycle with the Minnesota Orchestra for under $35 (US). That price includes 24/96 5.0 FLAC and all lower bitrates as well. I have half of this set already, and I would say it's typical BIS: crisp recordings, great dynamics, and relatively "big," multi-mic'd, concert-hall ambiance.

https://www.eclassical.com/composers/sibelius-jean/sibelius-the-seven-symphonies-and-kullervo-1.html

Cross-posting from the "Sales and Discount Codes" thread:

This week's special from BIS/eClassical: Osmo Vänskä's complete Sibelius cycle with the Minnesota Orchestra for under $35 (US). That price includes 24/96 5.0 FLAC and all lower bitrates as well. I have half of this set already, and I would say it's typical BIS: crisp recordings, great dynamics, and relatively "big," multi-mic'd, concert-hall ambiance.

https://www.eclassical.com/composers/sibelius-jean/sibelius-the-seven-symphonies-and-kullervo-1.html
BIS recorded two first-rate Sibelius cycles, this one and the Okka Kamu one (HRAudio.net - Sibelius: 7 Symphonies - Kamu), right around the same time, and issued both on SACD. I have a slight preference for Kamu's interpretation but the Minneapolis Orchestra plays better and I think the sound is better from Minnesota as well. And the Vanska cycle also includes the symphonic poem Kullervo, which Kamu does not.

If you haven't heard the Sibelius symphonies they're a revelation. The first and second are very influenced by Tchaikovsky, and the 2nd is probably his most popular piece. The later symphonies are increasingly astringent but still beautiful, in some ways even more so, especially the 5th with its famous "swan theme." My personal favorite is the third, even though many conductors don't care for it - it's a transitional piece but to my mind it keeps the romantic aspect of early Sibelius while adding in the aspects that makes later Sibelius so unique.

Despite (or perhaps because) he was a chronic alcoholic, Sibelius was surely the towering musical genius of the 20th century. This is the first year for a very long time I've not been to a live performance of at least one of his life affirming symphonies. That saddens me deeply.

Despite (or perhaps because) he was a chronic alcoholic, Sibelius was surely the towering musical genius of the 20th century. This is the first year for a very long time I've not been to a live performance of at least one of his life affirming symphonies. That saddens me deeply.
I really liked the chapter in Alex Ross's book about Sibelius; I think one of the more insightful views: Sibelius: Apparition from the Woods

I am a classical music concert and opera goer of too many years (though not blinkered, as I enjoy great classic rock and jazz concerts too!), and meanwhile an audiophile from the grand stereo days of my youth. However though the audiophile in me led to a first 5.1 system over 15 years ago, I have gradually formed a specific view on stereo versus 5.1 (or more), in particular for classical music.

As an avid live concert fan, I am well aware of the good, bad and ugly variations of concert hall acoustics, however with great music and performers, I have had some truly memorable experiences even in the cheapest and ¨worst¨ seats in the house. So here goes in daring to express my ¨Strong Personal Opinion¨, ha ha ha:

Stereo is a completely artificial MUSICAL EXPERIENCE: for all the Bla Bla Bla about perfect imaging, depth, width etc. of different speaker systems, always when seated in the one and only millimetrically precise and perfect triangle seat , it is nevertheless just like standing in the doorway of a concert hall, where moving around the room causes a total collapse of any sound field experience.

The wonder of even a modest 5.1 system is that one can move around the whole room and just about everywhere have some semblance of PRESENCE in an acoustic space, just like moving from a cheap to an expensive seat in a concert hall. And so many times within my budgetary or the booking constraints I have immensely enjoyed a concert from cheap and non-optimum seats.

Conclusion: as a profound classical music lover, and nevertheless audiophile, the AMBIENCE of my 5.1 system is just so much more enjoyable than any super-high-resolution-imaging Bla Bla Bla stereo system seated almost within a strait jacket. Feeling a grand piano almost floating holographically in the room, versus a fire hose in your face effect of an astonishing (yes indeed, too much so !!!) stereo system, ¨bathing¨ in the massive sonority of a symphony orchestra, and finally experiencing in the entire room the sensual vibration of a church organ… no way could I return to bland stereo …

And an interesting psychoacoustic observation: leaving the lounge room for the kitchen or even upstairs, most 5.1 presentations sound more alive even from afar, while the impact most stereo just collapses. This indeed supports my empirical observation that so many stereo audiophiles merely ¨SEE¨ their music seated millimetrically, often mesmerized by an impressive rack of towering $$$ equipment with flashing blue lights… while the frequent ecstasy of my personal musical experiences occurs from almost concealed speakers and equipment.

Finally, as even the finest HD streaming media do not offer surround sound (Netflix apart !?!), now the only physical media that I purchase are limited to SACDs, DVDs or Blurays… and the so very occasional surround downloads. Though consumer surround sound died some 10 years ago due to the complications of installing 5.1(+) speaker systems, seems there is a gentle renaissance via top DSP sound bars, though mostly stimulated by the action movie and gaming communities. So where are we now in the classical music world ?!?

Back