SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

humprof

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Another reason to to be loyal to Presto Music (in addition to their huge selection, great prices & sales, good writing & curation, and quick shipping at reasonable prices). Now, like Bandcamp, they've added free streaming for everything you've ever purchased from them:

Last edited:

windhoek

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Another reason to to be loyal to Presto Music (in addition to their huge selection, great prices & sales, good writing & curation, and quick shipping at reasonable prices. Now, like Bandcamp, they've added free streaming for everything you've ever purchased from them:
Now that's what I call a customer-first business model!

humprof

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Surround recordings recommended by the New York Times:

The Iceland Symphony Orchestra's latest, Occurrence (Sono Luminus, with an excellent Atmos mix), is in this batch:

And the BMOP's latest, Robert Carl's White Heron (BMOP/sound, with a "meh" hall-ambient 5.0 mix) in this one:

I don't actually have White Heron, but do own two other releases on BMOP, so I'm speculating about the mix. (Here's the label's order page and a pdf of the booklet.) I do have Occurrence, however, and can confirm that the mix is wonderfully immersive.

Last edited:

mkt

Thanks for sharing. I'm always looking for interesting classical surround options. I note that the BMOP SACDs are cheaper on Presto.

humprof

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Ralph just posted about this in one of the "Listening" threads. I guess this is another reissue of the 1996 recording--released on SACD in 2004? I'm assuming the SACD had a 5.0 or 5.1 mix, although I can't find any reviews that comment on it. This one has Atmos--upmixed?

4-earredwonder

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
Ralph just posted about this in one of the "Listening" threads. I guess this is another reissue of the 1996 recording--released on SACD in 2004? I'm assuming the SACD had a 5.0 or 5.1 mix, although I can't find any reviews that comment on it. This one has Atmos--upmixed?
Most unfortunately, humprof and to be taken with a 'grain of salt' the 5 mini reviews at AmazonUS are DISMAL. As I've never owned the 3 disc SACD of Archiv's MESSIAH, for what it's worth you can peruse these subjective' reviews and perhaps obtain a 'glimpse' of what to expect:

\https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00022URKY?tag=hraudio-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

humprof

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Another Mahler 10th (Vanska & Minnesota, Deryck Cooke performing version). Newly released & on sale this week at eClassical:
No longer on sale, but now available on SACD. Presto Classical thinks it's the "high point" of Vänskä's cycle:

ubertrout

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
For those who enjoy David Hurwitz's scurrilous pontifications (which I do), this rundown of Paavo Jarvi's Telarc recordings is a good reminder of how much good stuff he did on MCH SACD. Everything but the Shostakovich 10th and Planets is on SACD, it would be nice if NativeDSD could pick them up.

4-earredwonder

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
I'm listening to the sumptuous Fritz Reiner AP 3 Channel SACD Remaster of Respighi's Pines of Rome/Fountains of Rome and Debussy's La Mer but lament the fact that there is no discrete Multi~CH version of La Mer, AFAIK. BIS did release Respighi's Roman Trilogy on a fairly discrete Multi~CH SACD a few years ago and it is gorgeous but what gives with La Mer?

ubertrout

Looks like Universal is releasing two more DG issues in CD/BD with Atmos. One is the Salonen/LA recording of The Rite of Spring etc which has long been on SACD, but the other seems new.

ubertrout

I'm listening to the sumptuous Fritz Reiner AP 3 Channel SACD Remaster of Respighi's Pines of Rome/Fountains of Rome and Debussy's La Mer but lament the fact that there is no discrete Multi~CH version of La Mer, AFAIK. BIS did release Respighi's Roman Trilogy on a fairly discrete Multi~CH SACD a few years ago and it is gorgeous but what gives with La Mer?

La Mer has been issued a few times on SACD - the BIS recording is with Lan Shui in Singapore and it's good. But IMHO this is the best one-stop for all of Debussy's orchestral works on 2 SACDs.

4-earredwonder

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
La Mer has been issued a few times on SACD - the BIS recording is with Lan Shui in Singapore and it's good. But IMHO this is the best one-stop for all of Debussy's orchestral works on 2 SACDs.
Totally agree, ubertrout. A sumptuous 2 disc SACD in stunning sonics: Review and Ordering Links:

humprof

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
For those who enjoy David Hurwitz's scurrilous pontifications (which I do), this rundown of Paavo Jarvi's Telarc recordings is a good reminder of how much good stuff he did on MCH SACD. Everything but the Shostakovich 10th and Planets is on SACD, it would be nice if NativeDSD could pick them up.
Or better yet (considering NativeDSD's prices): if Membran would just license the MCh SACDs and do a box set of those, too! (But Hurwitz is right: 52 bucks for 16 top-notch CDs--that's something!)

humprof

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Hopefully DV will get around to Ormandy's Debussy quad, originally on RCA Red Seal:

1614988483170.png

4-earredwonder

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
Hopefully DV will get around to Ormandy's Debussy quad, originally on RCA Red Seal:

View attachment 64201
What humprof, NO DOLBY b encoding!!!!!!!! That would be EXCEPTIONAL!

humprof

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
A new Atmos Blu-Ray on Sono Luminus up for pre-order today:

I found CAPUT's previous Atmos release, Atonement, rather challenging, though I've liked everything I've heard by the Siggi String Quartet, including the Blu-Ray Stara.

4-earredwonder

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
A new Atmos Blu-Ray on Sono Luminus up for pre-order today:

I found CAPUT's previous Atmos release, Atonement, rather challenging, though I've liked everything I've heard by the Siggi String Quartet, including the Blu-Ray Stara.
I still find it amazing in this day and age that a small independent label like Sono Luminus continues to release [as you state] challenging contemporary music on Pure BD~A and CD for such amazing prices. And in Dolby ATMOS [for those so equipped] to boot!

And their SUPERB remastering of the now nascent DORIAN catalogue on RBCD is likewise commendable! And check out those prices!

humprof

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I still find it amazing in this day and age that a small independent label like Sono Luminus continues to release [as you state] challenging contemporary music on Pure BD~A and CD for such amazing prices. And in Dolby ATMOS [for those so equipped] to boot!
I think they have some foundation support, though I'm not sure where I got that impression, and I could be wrong...

4-earredwonder

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
And NOW for something completely different and on sale NOW @ Sono Luminus [highly recommended]