SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Ah, what joy. For the first time as a Daily Deal, Christian Poltéra's rendition of the Dvorák Cello Concerto, along with Martinu's No 1, all with the Deutsches SO Berlin, conducted by BIS star Thomas Dausgaard. I don't need to shout from the rooftops about this one!"
One day only
https://www.eclassical.com/pages/daily-deal.html

Appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I get the weekly emails from eClassical, but I almost always forget to check the Daily Deal...

Reactions: mkt
Speaking of heavy, you sure got a heavy load with 24 SACDs in that sale. 😃📣 Anything you want to give a shoutout for?

I am warming things up with a powerful performance of Marc-Antoine Charpentier's "Messe a 8 voices & Te Deum a 8 voices" performed by Le Concert Spirituel under the leadership of Hervé Niquet. The surrounds are quite immersive on this one. View attachment 38707
I just ripped this SACD, and I see no content on the center channel. Can Lute or anyone comment as to whether that is correct or if there's been some error. It's labeled 5.0 surround. No info at HRAudio.net - Charpentier: Messe & Te Deum - Le Concert Spirituel

Thanks!

I just ripped this SACD, and I see no content on the center channel. Can Lute or anyone comment as to whether that is correct or if there's been some error. It's labeled 5.0 surround. No info at HRAudio.net - Charpentier: Messe & Te Deum - Le Concert Spirituel

Thanks!
I don't have this one, but a lot of classic SACDs are stealth quads with no center channel - some producers think the center channel isn't appropriate for classical. Hyperion's issues are all stealth quads, likewise Zinman's Mahler cycle.

I don't have this one, but a lot of classic SACDs are stealth quads with no center channel - some producers think the center channel isn't appropriate for classical. Hyperion's issues are all stealth quads, likewise Zinman's Mahler cycle.
Good point. I had not thought of that. A center channel is a terrible thing to waste.

Good point. I had not thought of that. A center channel is a terrible thing to waste.

I suppose they were following the old 70's QUAD style of mixing where the L/F and R/F channels formed a very convincing PHANTOM CENTER. If you've heard the Dutton Vocalion QUAD SACDs of the Columbia and RCA 70's mixes, who needs the center?

And if your center channel is not the EQUAL of your L/F, R/F speakers, it can also throw off the balance, most especially noticeable with the few 3 channel SACDs containing vocals [like the AP Nat King Cole 3 channel SACDs].

Last edited:
I suppose they were following the old 70's QUAD style of mixing where the L/F and R/F channels formed a very convincing PHANTOM CENTER. If you've heard the Dutton Vocalion QUAD SACDs of the Columbia and RCA 70's mixes, who needs the center?

And if your center channel is not the EQUAL of your L/F, R/F speakers, it can also throw off the balance, most especially noticeable with the few 3 channel SACDs containing vocals [like the AP Nat King Cole 3 channel SACDs].
In this case, the result wasn’t convincing to me. :)
An identical center speaker seems simplest.
🔊🔊🔊

Last edited:
In this case, the result wasn’t convincing to me. :)
An identical center speaker seems simplest.
🔊🔊🔊

If you have the luxury of three matching full range F/L, C, F/R speakers then I can understand your concern. But on those Dutton~Vocalion QUAD 70's Classical SACDs, if your front speakers are imaged properly, you should obtain an extremely convincing PHANTOM CENTER.

If you have the luxury of three matching full range F/L, C, F/R speakers then I can understand your concern. But on those Dutton~Vocalion QUAD 70's Classical SACDs, if your front speakers are imaged properly, you should obtain an extremely convincing PHANTOM CENTER.
Recommend me one. I've shied away from older (before 1996) classical surround recordings because I have not enjoyed their sound quality.

Recommend me one. I've shied away from older (before 1996) classical surround recordings because I have not enjoyed their sound quality.

For beginners, try this one from Dutton Vocalion [QUAD SACD]....and truth be told, if it doesn't sound FANTASTIC on your system.....you got problems!

81u-0kYVTDL._AC_SL1429_.jpg

Has anybody downloaded hi-res versions of multi-channel releases from Presto Music? If so, were the files multi-channel? I asked them via email, but they haven't answered.

Has anybody downloaded hi-res versions of multi-channel releases from Presto Music? If so, were the files multi-channel? I asked them via email, but they haven't answered.

I haven't, but my impression was that their downloads were stereo only, even for titles that were/are also sold as MCh SACDs.

Last edited:
I think the best sounding one is the Zukerman Vivaldi disc. But major caveat that I haven't listened to the Pelleas disc yet.

81-tRHt-K3L._SL600_.jpg

(Oh, and this is also my subtle reminder to D-V is that the third LP of violin concertos from the Op. 8 set, released as MQ-32840, still needs to be issued on SACD - it would pair perfectly with the Vivaldi concertos for 2, 3, and 4 violins with the same forces - originally MQ-32230)

Back