SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are a fan of New York Polyphony, today is a good day to head over to eClassical.com High Resolution FLAC & MP3 Classical Music Download Store where there are good discounts on their latest and on an older release (today only).
Yesterday we had an SACD with the New York Polyphony. The computer must have liked it as much as I did, because it singled out another SACD of the same kind, with the same ensenble, and I refuse to "correct" the computer. Random is random. And this at the same time as their new SACD is a New Release Deal. Wow! Here the original quartet alone sings Byrd, Tallis and other olde musicke, together with three recent works by Richard Rodney Bennett, Andrew Smith and Gabriel Jackson. If you liked yesterday's offering, you'll love this, too. RvB

Michael Gordon, "8": coming out mid-April on Cantaloupe Music.

This is tragic. "The eight cellists of Cello Octet Amsterdam are positioned in a circle, and the passages they play travel around the circle in both directions, call-and-response style. If you're in the middle of the circle, you can hear the dimensionality and perspective of the sound clearly. When listening closely to the recording, you can hear the bass notes traveling in space independently of the melody line."

Made for surround, right? But when I inquired, the label told me that regrettably, they couldn't afford a 5.1 mix. I love Gordon's music, and I'll get it anyway. But damn...

Last edited:
Michael Gordon, "8": coming out mid-April on Cantaloupe Music.

This is tragic. "The eight cellists of Cello Octet Amsterdam are positioned in a circle, and the passages they play travel around the circle in both directions, call-and-response style. If you're in the middle of the circle, you can hear the dimensionality and perspective of the sound clearly. When listening closely to the recording, you can hear the bass notes traveling in space independently of the melody line."

Made for surround, right? But when I inquired, the label told me that regrettably, they couldn't afford a 5.1 mix. I love Gordon's music, and I'll get it anyway. But damn...

There was a similar story about another recording but some of us made a (polite) stink about it and obtained the multichannel. ;)
thumbnail+cover.JPG
https://www.craigmorristrumpet.com/fyc

There was a similar story about another recording but some of us made a (polite) stink about it and obtained the multichannel. ;)
thumbnail+cover.JPG
https://www.craigmorristrumpet.com/fyc

I'm not sure they even mic'd and recorded it with surround in mind. But if they did, then maybe QQ'ers could start a GoFundMe ;).

I'd hate to make a stink, though; Cantaloupe does so much good stuff on such a small budget, and we all know that the economics of running a small record label--any record label--specializing in "niche" music aren't easy. And at least they've managed to do a few things (like the JLA Become trilogy) in surround.

This came out before I had my road to damascus surround moment. I have the stereo version. Is the surround still available? It's no longer here
AcousticSounds has discontinued its download service entirely.
I'm not sure they even mic'd and recorded it with surround in mind. But if they did, then maybe QQ'ers could start a GoFundMe ;).
I heard a part of it first as a demo of discrete multichannel recording at an AES meeting as presented by the man who recorded it, John Newton of SoundMirror. He sent me a copy of that clip and I pleaded with the performer and the label for its release. They, kindly, sent me a copy of the files and later made it available through AcousticSounds.

As noted above, that's no longer an option. However, it is an indication of their willingness to make it available. They just need a conduit.

Yes. My “very performance nice” joke.
How to buy MQA and Hi-Res Audio from Japanese Digital Stores
PS. Surround is not for the technologically faint of heart.

Ai! Caramba. (Or whatever the equivalent expression in Japanese is.) I'm generally not faint of heart, and I can even be bloody-minded when it comes to getting around restrictions like these. But if my existing VPN won't work and I have to purchase a pre-paid gift card to use as payment, then that might just stop me...!

Ai! Caramba. (Or whatever the equivalent expression in Japanese is.) I'm generally not faint of heart, and I can even be bloody-minded when it comes to getting around restrictions like these. But if my existing VPN won't work and I have to purchase a pre-paid gift card to use as payment, then that might just stop me...!
Only VPN required. US credit card works.

Back