SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did! in the classical section, SACDs are on the far right up on shelves. Probably 200+ there.
Those are good looking prices!
Google tells me Academy Records & CDs is at W. 18th St. (closed next week) and Academy Records is at E. 12th. I'm guessing the difference is more than academic? :)

Managed to get to Academy Records in NYC for the first time in way too long. Place was busy! Had a few finds.....................
The one in the top right is a little hard to make out, but it's this: HRAudio.net - Come Away, Death - Kielland / Osadchuk
One of my favorite discs.
Nice haul. I'm headed there next week. Leave some for me!
I did! in the classical section, SACDs are on the far right up on shelves. Probably 200+ there.
:) Many probably have my fingerprints on them. (The covers, not the discs.)

Those are good looking prices!
Google tells me Academy Records & CDs is at W. 18th St. (closed next week) and Academy Records is at E. 12th. I'm guessing the difference is more than academic? :)
The one on 18th St. is the one to go to. Not academic :) There's also a location in Brooklyn (or at least there was) that's almost all vinyl.

Also, this is right around the corner: Flatiron | Hours + Location | Dough Doughnuts

New from 2L
http://www.2l.no/pages/album/165.html
Firewood for diffusion?
1624830262975.png

I just received this MAGNIFICENT set from DGG recorded in 1959 overseen by legendary producer Elsa Schiller and can report that both the performances and recording [BD~A 192/24 Stereo] are RAPTUROUS. And for less than $21US a veritable BARGAIN! [DGG/3 RBCDs/1 BD~A] Remastered at the Emil Berliner Studios in 2020. Discs are Made in Germany and are packaged in a clamshell box!

61RdopuhZeL._SL1200_.jpg

Last edited:
I just received this MAGNIFICENT set from DGG recorded in 1959 overseen by legendary producer Elsa Schiller and can report that both the performances and recording [BD~A 192/24 Stereo] are RAPTUROUS. And for less than $21US a veritable BARGAIN! [DGG/3 RBCDs/1 BD~A] Remastered at the Emil Berliner Studios in 2020. Discs are Made in Germany and are packaged in a clamshell box!

61RdopuhZeL._SL1200_.jpg
While I'm all for historic recordings, I'd probably rather listen to this (I got it from Berkshire, but rather surprisingly it's hard to get now). Modern multichannel recording - while surround doesn't do that much for two instruments, the ambience is nice.
71w1p2P04mL._SL500_.jpg

I was listening to Glazunov's 5th Symphony on the radio in my car, having not really listened much before - it's magnificent! I was a little surprised there's no modern multichannel version of it - I'd think recording at least the 4th and 5th would be good if not a whole cycle - we could use it more than another Beethoven or Mahler cycle.

The one on 18th St. is the one to go to. Not academic :) There's also a location in Brooklyn (or at least there was) that's almost all vinyl.

Also, this is right around the corner: Flatiron | Hours + Location | Dough Doughnuts

I had to wait five days for them to reopen (they took a long holiday weekend), but finally made it in. This is the only SACD I walked out with--mostly for sentimental reasons--although I was tempted by many more. Great to spend an hour poking around, people-watching, and talking with the staff, just the same.

I still have the LP I bought of this in 1979(?), after months--years?--of reading about digital recording with eager anticipation. It gave my home-built 3-way floor speakers a workout.
IMG_20210707_110125259.jpg

Last edited:
I had to wait five days for them to reopen (they took a long holiday weekend), but finally made it in. This is the only SACD I walked out with--mostly for sentimental reasons--although I was tempted by many more. Great to spend an hour poking around, people-watching, and talking with the staff, just the same.

I still have the LP I bought of this in 1979(?), after months--years?--of reading about digital recording with eager anticipation. It gave my home-built 3-way floor speakers a workout.
View attachment 68768
I saw that and was pretty sure it could be flipped for several times the ask (cheapest is $58 on Amazon, but that's probably inflated). Glad I didn't bother and it's gone to a good home.

I was listening to Glazunov's 5th Symphony on the radio in my car, having not really listened much before - it's magnificent! I was a little surprised there's no modern multichannel version of it - I'd think recording at least the 4th and 5th would be good if not a whole cycle - we could use it more than another Beethoven or Mahler cycle.
Just when I thought I didn’t need another Beethoven cycle, I came across this fun collection of organ transcriptions by Edouard Batiste. I even found a video review by your favorite reviewer, David Hurwitz ;)

Back