SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, in the name of completionism, I broke down and purchased the DVD-Audio of Colin Davis conducting Symphonie Fantastique. I already had the superior performance of him doing it on Pentatone SACD, but I wanted to complete my collection and the price was acceptable. What I found was...weird.

6797965.jpg

The Symphonie Fantastique is absolutely there, at least on the video side. But popping it in to rip to my NAS I noticed that the DVD-Audio program is actually "Stokowski Spectacular," released by Pye as a quad record in 1976: Leopold Stokowski – Stokowski Spectacular (1976, Vinyl). I don't know how the heck this happened. Do I have a weird error disc? I don't think Stokowski Spectacular was ever released in digital form?

Last edited:
So, in the name of completionism, I broke down and purchased the DVD-Audio of Colin Davis conducting Symphonie Fantastique. I already had the superior performance of him doing it on Pentatone SACD, but I wanted to complete my collection and the price was acceptable. What I found was...weird.

6797965.jpg

The Symphonie Fantastique is absolutely there, at least on the video side. But popping it in to rip to my NAS I noticed that the DVD-Audio program is actually "Stokowski Spectacular," released by Pye as a quad record in 1976: Leopold Stokowski – Stokowski Spectacular (1976, Vinyl). I don't know how the heck this happened. Do I have a weird error disc? I don't think Stokowski Spectacular was ever released in digital form?

Crazy. (And recorded by Bob Auger, according to DIscogs.) Talk about a "stealth" release! So is it any good, at least?

Bad metadata?

6797965.jpg

I'm an idiot. Please disregard. Thanks :)

This was a David Hurwitz recommendation, and I really like it - the 1st especially. Stereo-only, it's available in 24/96 but I'm just streaming it.
81wdNMHISlL._SS500_.jpg
I cracked and got this (and a bunch else) in 24/96 for half off at Presto - sale goes until the 20th: Naxos Hi-Res 50% off | Presto Music

$6.50 for a Naxos release really takes me back to the late 90s. Sadly, stereo-only.

6797965.jpg

Weird, indeed, ubertrout. I'll have to dig out my copy and try it for myself. But a 2 for 1 especially the stealth Stokowski performance, IMO, is a REAL COUP!

New SACD from MDG on its way - Diabelli music for guitar & flute. The samples at jpc.de sounded very promising.

0760623221564.jpg

This finally arrived today. Playing is exquisite. Barber Of Seville and Thieving Magpie are truly superb. Sound is tonally excellent, ambience only in the rears, and not at all obvious. Nevertheless highly recommended.

I heard this in the car on FM and thought I was listening to Heifetz. The whole album is available on YouTube.

And speaking of hot young violinists. Gil Shaham in 2000 at about 29

Last edited:

I heard this in the car on FM and thought I was listening to Heifetz. The whole album is available on YouTube.

And speaking of hot young violinists. Gil Shaham in 2000 at about 29

She's fantastic. A lot of classical audiophile stuff is unremarkable musically. Getting first-rate musicianship in the bargain makes her recordings for Pentatone some of the highlights of classical multichannel.

RIP soprano Carmen Balthrop, who (among other things) sang the title role in the first production of Scott Joplin's Treemonisha.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/22/arts/music/carmen-balthrop-dead.htmlI think that opera is more than the second-tier curiosity that some make it out to be, by the way. I'm not even an opera fan and I've found that it repays repeated listening. Plus, it's one of the more "discreet" entries in the Pentatone Remastered Classics series. (Balthrop is on that recording, currently on sale at Presto for $15.50.)

Back