SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that the only Cappella Romana recording that I have is the Lost Voices of Hagia Sophia. What other surround releases are recommended?
If you like the Lost Voices of Hagia Sophia, their excellent recording of music by the 9th century nun, Kassianí (Kassía) is worth checking out. She is somewhat similar to Hildegard of Bingen.

https://cappellarecords.com/recording/hymns-of-kassiani/

The latest and most exquisite offering from Jordi Savall and Hesperion XXI on the AliaVox label in splendid Multichannel Sonics [SACD]

Listen to all 11 samples:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9377303--codex-las-huelgas
eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcmVzdG8tY292ZXItaW1hZ2VzIiwia2V5IjoiOTM3NzMwMy4xLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjp7InJlc2l6ZSI6eyJ3aWR0aCI6OTAwfSwianBlZyI6eyJxdWFsaXR5Ijo2NX0sInRvRm9ybWF0IjoianBlZyJ9LCJ0aW1lc3RhbXAiOjE2NzA0MjkxMDZ9

Last edited:
Not sure where to put this bit of info, but it merges classical with surround (of a sort.)

I finished the book on Erik Satie I started a couple of weeks ago. (As an aside, I didn’t think it was that great.)

But here’s one bit in the book that I highlighted:

The Musique d’ameublement was an experiment in the potential of spacial music; as Darius Milhaud, who performed the two-piano score with Satie at the premier, later recalled, ‘In order that the music might seem to come from all sides at once, we posted the clarinets in three different corners of the theatre, the pianist in the fourth, and the trombone in a box on the first floor.’

Wonder what both of them would make of a surround system in their home today.

Coincidentally, I’m listening to this one right now:

Not sure where to put this bit of info, but it merges classical with surround (of a sort.)

I finished the book on Erik Satie I started a couple of weeks ago. (As an aside, I didn’t think it was that great.)

But here’s one bit in the book that I highlighted:

The Musique d’ameublement was an experiment in the potential of spacial music; as Darius Milhaud, who performed the two-piano score with Satie at the premier, later recalled, ‘In order that the music might seem to come from all sides at once, we posted the clarinets in three different corners of the theatre, the pianist in the fourth, and the trombone in a box on the first floor.’

Wonder what both of them would make of a surround system in their home today.

Coincidentally, I’m listening to this one right now:

D26BC6D5-16B1-4F62-99F9-68B02DB8D436.jpeg

Satie in surround? I can just imagine the unique (or kooky🤣) ways they would set up a surround system. LOL!! So, what‘s the book’s verdict on Satie? Is he Satie the Mystic🌹? Or… was he just putting one over on everyone and is really Satie the Humorist🍚? Maybe he was both. In a way I am reminded of Chance from the movie Being There. Maybe life is a state of mind. 😉

Last edited:
So, what‘s the book’s verdict on Satie?
There really wasn’t one. It was more of a factual book without delving in too deep to the person. I kept looking at the references within the text to other works and at one point thought, “I’m probably reading the wrong book because this author is sure pulling a lot from a couple of other books.” I’m not sure the author was capable of making a call on Satie’s personality unless it was pulled from another source.

I was a bit spoiled by a biography on Mozart I read about a year or so ago. I felt I was getting a full picture of the person and the music. Not so with the Satie book.

Speaking of Mozart, currently streaming:

"Daniel Barenboim, a towering conductor and pianist who as general music director of the Berlin State Opera over the past three decades built an artistic empire without rival and helped define German culture in the aftermath of reunification, will resign his post this month because of health problems, the opera house announced on Friday."
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/06/arts/music/daniel-barenboim-resignation-berlin.html

Well I've never been a classical music fan but there have always been some classical that I kinda liked. Quads made me explore more. Most recently I got a deal on the SQ encoded "Greatest Hits" albums Chopin ,Tchaikovsky, Bach, Strauss, Mozart and Beethoven. I've only listened to Beethoven and Mozart so far, rather amazed at just how familiar these tracks are. I still can only take so much classical at a time but am currently listening to Mozart and really liking it!

Earlier this year I was given an SQ copy of "Bernstein, The New York Philharmonic, Richard Strauss – Also Sprach Zarathustra" liked it quite a bit as well, ditto "Tchaikovsky – 1812 Overture / Romeo And Juliet".

An UNMITIGATED success in absolutely ravishing discrete sonics......The clarity is astounding. Thank you Michael D for a Wizardly Release in time for the holidays

My second listen.......An astonishing success and the discrete QUAD mastering is truly OTHERWORLDLY

THREEPENNY OPERA • ORIGINAL CAST RECORDING (1976)  [SACD Hybrid Multi-Channel]

THREEPENNY OPERA • ORIGINAL CAST RECORDING (1976)​

[SACD Hybrid Multi-Channel]​

FYI
I saw this production at Lincoln Center, and later without Raul Julia in Central Park; I have the lp and a dts I decoded from Oxford Dickie's final script, which he sent me and I don't think he ever made public. This was, I have read, the one of the last, if not the last, original cast recording to be released in quad by Columbia Records. By this time they had got their act together and there is a lot separation in the orchestral parts, but I seem to recall that the musicians were somewhat separated in performance. I got the cd version when it came out. I had hoped it was the sq mix (as this was only released in quad) but it had been remixed for stereo and not that well, the sound was compressed compared to the original lp version; but it did have one added track which I note is also included on the new sacd version, which I have ordered. As for Raul Julia being a singer, according to Wynn Handman, the renowned acting teacher, with whom RJ studied when he first came to NY from Puerto Rico (with a thick accent, according to Wynn), he considered himself a singer then--that at least is my recollection of what Wynn said.

"Daniel Barenboim, a towering conductor and pianist who as general music director of the Berlin State Opera over the past three decades built an artistic empire without rival and helped define German culture in the aftermath of reunification, will resign his post this month because of health problems, the opera house announced on Friday."
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/06/arts/music/daniel-barenboim-resignation-berlin.html
What a shame. I heard him a lot in Chicago, and a lot of what I heard was really good. His Beethoven cycle on DVD-A is still among the best in surround (performance-wise, although the sound is good too).

What a shame. I heard him a lot in Chicago, and a lot of what I heard was really good. His Beethoven cycle on DVD-A is still among the best in surround (performance-wise, although the sound is good too).
What a shame indeed. Also have Barenboim's complete Beethoven cycle on MLP DVD~A and concur with your high praise!
Primary

Well I've never been a classical music fan but there have always been some classical that I kinda liked. Quads made me explore more. Most recently I got a deal on the SQ encoded "Greatest Hits" albums Chopin ,Tchaikovsky, Bach, Strauss, Mozart and Beethoven. I've only listened to Beethoven and Mozart so far, rather amazed at just how familiar these tracks are. I still can only take so much classical at a time but am currently listening to Mozart and really liking it!

Earlier this year I was given an SQ copy of "Bernstein, The New York Philharmonic, Richard Strauss – Also Sprach Zarathustra" liked it quite a bit as well, ditto "Tchaikovsky – 1812 Overture / Romeo And Juliet".
If you can find it, try the Bernstein SQ recording of Holst’s “The Planets.” It’s one of my “desert island” recordings - ones I’d pick to have with me if I were stranded on a desert island.

https://www.discogs.com/release/6515924-Holst-Leonard-Bernstein-New-York-Philharmonic-The-Planets

From the buyer beware files, I thought this looked interesting and on sale
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9340148--walker-antifonys-lilacs-sinfonias-nos-4-5It's a SACD, with "Format: Hybrid Multi-channel" in the description, and I know that it's available in Apple Music Spatial. So multichannel is very plausible. However, if you go to the Amazon link for it and zoom in on the back, you see stereo
1673461658884.png

Reader, I did not go to the Amazon link for it and zoom in on the back before I ordered it from Presto. I have complained and hope they do something about it. I wonder if all the CSO SACDs that are advertised as multichannel are really stereo.

From the buyer beware files, I thought this looked interesting and on sale
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9340148--walker-antifonys-lilacs-sinfonias-nos-4-5It's a SACD, with "Format: Hybrid Multi-channel" in the description, and I know that it's available in Apple Music Spatial. So multichannel is very plausible. However, if you go to the Amazon link for it and zoom in on the back, you see stereo
View attachment 87282
Reader, I did not go to the Amazon link for it and zoom in on the back before I ordered it from Presto. I have complained and hope they do something about it. I wonder if all the CSO SACDs that are advertised as multichannel are really stereo.
Too bad, but thanks for the heads up. That's a nice series, and the Atmos mixes on Apple Music aren't bad.

Reactions: mkt
Sampling this on Apple Music now, just on computer however, but is it also Atmos on there to your knowledge humprof?
Strangely, Sono Luminus doesn't seem to have jumped on the Apple/Atmos bandwagon--which is kind of a shame, as it might get Daniel Shores's amazing mixes some well-deserved exposure.

Back