SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a decent immersive Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony out there?

It's morning, I'm on my second coffee and listening to this . . . as a keyboardist, I love Chopin, who seems to combine the best worlds of Germanic, Russian, and even French composers. The pianist is good, and the surround is far more than ambient. Love it!

sachen.jpg

Pletnev (Pentatone), Kitaenko (Oehms), Gatti (Harmonia Mundi)
I have not heard the latest Noseda/LSO yet.

Try Ivan Fischer's 5.0 version on Channel Classics coupled with the Romeo and Juliet Overture. I have not
heard my version in some time but as I recall it is quite superb. It has been highly praised online.
as well.

Jim
That's a great one. The mix is immersive in the sense that the surround channels give an accurate sonic picture of being in a concert hall, but there's not instruments coming in every direction.

I have been 'rummaging' through my 'unplayed in eons' Classical SACD mch discs and spun this today. Generally speaking, wonderful performances and sonics and if I recall, I used to pay $7 ~ $8 for these MEMBRAN CLASSICS when they were initially released.

41J00tbuIXL.jpg
51YIwoPX8vL.jpg
These were all well-made mid-90s digital stereo recordings by Tring, subsequently reissued on many labels. I have a lot of them because JPC blew them out for $3 or so each. They're nice but I don't usually seek them out.

Is the Conceirto de Aranjuez the only work to have multiple quad reissues but no modern multichannel recordings?
916LxegHFDL._SL500_.jpg
71Jfe7JXrDL._SL500_.jpg

(plus this, which I don't think is actually the quad mix)

81KKX3tUV6L._SL500_.jpg

Ubertrout, kind of off topic, but have you ever heard this magnificent jazz interpretation of the 'Concierto' from master guitarist Jim Hall on Stereo SACD from MoFi [also released in Japan as a DVD~A Stereo disc as well]! On the CTI Label.

51WFIbrfZ%2BL.jpg

Last edited:
image.jpeg

Claudio Monteverdi: Vespers

Cantar Lontano
Marco Mencoboni (conductor)

Very nice. The free choice of tempos seems to have ruffled some folks' feathers, but I found the performance to be beautiful and moving. The surround mix is immersive with some discrete elements.

Yesterday I downloaded this 'learn German' Android app (it was free yesterday) so that I can learn German well enough to connect with Mahler's lyrics as much as I do with his music. I mean, there are a few words I already know but the fact is, I'm a long way from being able to follow the lyrics in real-time unless I have a translation in front of me. So far I know how to say yes, no, please, thanks and goodbye in German. Like I say, I've got a long way to go!

image.jpeg

Georg Friedrich Händel

Parnasso in Festa

La Cetra Vokalensemble Basel
La Cetra Barockorchester Basel
Andrea Marcon (conductor)

Another excellent SACD release from PentaTone. Superb perfromance of this delight work. Surround mix is ambient but good. HERE is an in depth review for anyone interested.

Back