SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rued Langgaard THE STRING QUARTETS [DACAPO/3 multi~ch SACDs] Gorgeous!!!!!!!

https://www.importcds.com/string-quartets/747313300464

81s5LqJXzZL._SL1483_.jpg

71ScaFfhCvL._SL1500_.jpg

I've been spending so much time with old 70s quad conversions lately that I had to take a break for something more modern, and I finally opened up these discs that came in the mail a week or so ago. One of them, by the Sono Lumina Ensemble, was a recommendation of @4-earredwonder 's, I think. My first IsoMike recording? Anyway, really lovely. Who doesn't like clarinet?

The other is the latest release from Sono Luminus (I didn't know "Sono" could be either masculine or feminine), a label I support unquestioningly. Still, I don't think I'll be playing this disc again, except maybe to appreciate the Atmos mix. I generally like the contemporary Icelanders, but not Pállson, I guess. Slow, dissonant, foreboding stuff. No keys or time signatures that I can discern. Shrill vocals that leap up and down the scales. Too abstract and atonal for me. Not sorry to have given SL the dough, though.

IMG_20200522_191725925.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed. You gotta think Michael Dutton could get his hands on that Columbia recording with Raul Julia if he had a mind to....

Assuming you've got this recording of the Threepenny Suite, though? I've never heard the reel, but the CD4 is pretty good, if not hugely discrete.

https://www.discogs.com/Kurt-Weill-...amber-Ensemble-Suite-From-Th/release/11397948
And there's also the violin concerto on Sono Luminus--absolutely superb recording:

https://www.sonoluminus.com/store/weill-ibert-berg
Otherwise I only know of Lady In the Dark and Street Scene in Dolby Surround on Jay.

Assuming you've got this recording of the Threepenny Suite, though? I've never heard the reel, but the CD4 is pretty good, if not hugely discrete.

https://www.discogs.com/Kurt-Weill-...amber-Ensemble-Suite-From-Th/release/11397948
And there's also the violin concerto on Sono Luminus--absolutely superb recording:

https://www.sonoluminus.com/store/weill-ibert-berg
Otherwise I only know of Lady In the Dark and Street Scene in Dolby Surround on Jay.

Humprof, do you have those JAY Dolby Surround CDs of Street Scene and Lady in the Dark? Is so, comments?

Just checking to see if I have that QR of Kurt Weill/Darius Milhaud ...... I know I have the CD~4.....somewhere but haven't heard it since the late 70's

Humprof, do you have those JAY Dolby Surround CDs of Street Scene and Lady in the Dark? Is so, comments?

Just checking to see if I have that QR of Kurt Weill/Darius Milhaud ...... I know I have the CD~4.....somewhere but haven't heard it since the late 70's

Hall ambience, as I recall. (Been a while since I've listened. And I was decoding with PLII.) Still, nice to have the complete shows, in better than average performances.

Just got the Kleiber recording of Die Fledermaus on 2-CD/Blu-Ray Audio. The packaging doesn't make it entirely clear but there's 24/192 stereo and 5.1 audio, and also a Dolby Atmos Track (but only at 24/48). The 5.1 track is pretty clearly a repurposed quad mix - this is the overture.

Just got mine today. I haven't been able to audition the Atmos mix yet, but the 5.1 is fabulous. Great sound overall, and plenty happening in the surrounds.

I finally got around to ordering a copy of Shostakovich 5 by Ormandy-Philadelphia PO; that makes it version #4 (1xCD; 2xSACD; and 1xLP). As a subscriber to Marie Kondo's philosophy of only possessing stuff that brings you joy, I just hope this one brings me joy as I've got too much music already and not enough time to listen to it. Fingers crossed :)

81gJly6VmFL._AC_UY218_.jpg

I finally got around to ordering a copy of Shostakovich 5 by Ormandy-Philadelphia PO; that makes it version #4 (1xCD; 2xSACD; and 1xLP). As a subscriber to Marie Kondo's philosophy of only possessing stuff that brings you joy, I just hope this one brings me joy as I've got too much music already and not enough time to listen to it. Fingers crossed :)

Derek, I have NO idea who Marie Kondo is but I do believe these stunning D~V QUAD SACDs will bring you MUCH JOY .... or your money back [LOL]!

I don't know how anyone with even a passing interest in classical music wouldn't get much joy from this overstuffed set - two full LPs and two LP sides, including a brand new quad mix of the Hary Janos suite from Michael Dutton. I believe this is the premiere international recording of Shostakovich's final symphony - there's a good review of the CD version here: Shostakovich: Symphony No. 15/Ormandy - Classics Today

Another review of this and two other D-V releases here: Shostakovich Symphony No. 5 / Shostakovich Symphony NO. 15 / Shostakovich: Incidental music for Hamlet / Walton: Violin Concerto /Bliss: Violin Concerto / Schoenberg: Gurre-lieder / Pierre Bouez /

I don't know how anyone with even a passing interest in classical music wouldn't get much joy from this overstuffed set - two full LPs and two LP sides, including a brand new quad mix of the Hary Janos suite from Michael Dutton. I believe this is the premiere international recording of Shostakovich's final symphony - there's a good review of the CD version here: Shostakovich: Symphony No. 15/Ormandy - Classics Today

Another review of this and two other D-V releases here: Shostakovich Symphony No. 5 / Shostakovich Symphony NO. 15 / Shostakovich: Incidental music for Hamlet / Walton: Violin Concerto /Bliss: Violin Concerto / Schoenberg: Gurre-lieder / Pierre Bouez /

Now that's what I call a recommendation!

I've just finished playing this right now and in a word, it's the best classical surround release I've ever heard. I've got a number of classical releases that are mixed to a similar extent in terms of rear-channel usage, but none of them sound anywhere near as good; see below for some examples, and obviously not counting anything by Tomita.

Back to Shostakovich 5, what makes this particular release so great is that the surround mix is coherent with music from each speaker blending seamlessly with the music coming from the others; the overall sound is warm and inviting, with no harsh tones present whatsoever; the dynamic range is great as you can bring it up to boogie volume without bashing in your ears; the performance is excellent with energy and intimacy in all the right places; and, perhaps most importantly, it also has that je ne sais quoi that makes you want to hear it all over again.

I've heard this particular symphony a million times and I've seen it live here in Glasgow so I know it well. It obviously won't be my 'go-to' version when I'm on the go, as it were. But right here at home? Accept no substitutes, is what I say!

Multichannel mixes that, compared to this masterpiece, are (sort of) close, but (definitely) no cigar:

Mahler 2 by Zander
Mahler 10 - Rattle
The Planets - Susskind
Rachmaninov Symphonic Dances/Stravinksky Petruska - Jansons

Back