SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you it worked and now I know I have a Johnny Cash SACD to buy and for this one I will pre-order.

Truly my bad I had no idea this Johnny Cash disc was available. It is ordered, along with a Simon and Garfunkel.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, TACET is quietly pumping out more classical interesting surrounds! Have #2 of this third medieval series (the first one is stereo only).

Any surround TACET is well worth getting! There was also a recent surround from them that I got as well, a performance of one of Mozart's weirder compositions.

Attachments

• tacet.jpg
    tacet.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 310
  • tacet2.jpg
    tacet2.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 306
Any surround TACET is well worth getting!
I agree! I have several TACET SACD and Blu Ray discs. But I don't have the Tacet Mozart Sinfonia Concertante KV 364/Symphony in G minor KV 550 SACD. I just ordered it. Thanks for the tip! :)

On another note, I just got this Trumpets in Concert - Colours of Christmas SACD yesterday (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YMHC365/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

If you like antiphonal trumpets you will like this one. Trumpets echo each other between the front and rear channels. The organ envelopes you in all channels. There are just a few exclusively Christmas tracks on it—the rest are popular selections from Bach, Handel, Teleman and other classical composers. It is quite a surprising new gem of a recording that was at the bottom of an Amazon page as a recommendation. Too bad this is Trumpets in Concert’s (Trumpets in Concert - TIC :&#160Home) only SACD. Hope they come out with more.

Cheers,
Ed

Last edited:
Cross-posting here from the Dolby Atmos forum:

Cantaloupe Music announced yesterday the September 25th release of a new box set of pieces by John Luther Adams, comprising Become Ocean, Become Desert, and the never-before-released Become River. The physical box set is RBCD-only, although it will include new remasterings of the first two pieces. Ocean and Desert were previously released in lossy 5.1 (on DVD-V) and Desert in Dolby Atmos (as an MP4 download).

BUT:
  • All three pieces will also be available as downloads only in remixed & remastered 5.1 and Atmos versions.
Details on Cantaloupe's Bandcamp site:

https://johnlutheradams.bandcamp.com/album/the-become-trilogy

Last edited:
humprof, no issues here, kind sir!!
(I've just been heads down in other matters today, like doing a presentation on aspects of Sahidic Coptic: Bipartite and Tripartite Nominal sentence patterns and cardinal number morphology).
What a nice thing to find as I come back up for air ...
This does look to be a must have recording.

I did a similar analysis on the Kleiber Beethoven DVD-Audio, which shows similar results - the rears are a bit lower than the fronts but much louder than the center, which strongly suggests a quad mix with a fake center (fourth movement pictured, because that's a good test of max levels).

View attachment 50993

The DVD-A is 5.1, no? IIRC the .1 is just doubled bass. Has anyone tried stripping the C and .1 channels , reverting this back to its original (unreleased) quad?

ISTR measuring EQ differences on the different surround releases (SACD , DVD-A, BluRay) but I can't recall the details.

The DVD-A is 5.1, no? IIRC the .1 is just doubled bass. Has anyone tried stripping the C and .1 channels , reverting this back to its original (unreleased) quad?

ISTR measuring EQ differences on the different surround releases (SACD , DVD-A, BluRay) but I can't recall the details.
Yeah, I think the SACD was 5.1 too? Haven't checked, but I think a lot of DG SACDs were 5.1, which was part of why a lot of them required 2 SACDs for the same program that was on 1 CD.

Cross-posting here from the Dolby Atmos forum:

Cantaloupe Music announced yesterday the September 25th release of a new box set of pieces by John Luther Adams, comprising Become Ocean, Become Desert, and the never-before-released Become River. The physical box set is RBCD-only, although it will include new remasterings of the first two pieces. Ocean and Desert were previously released in lossy 5.1 (on DVD-V) and Desert in Dolby Atmos (as an MP4 download).

BUT:
  • All three pieces will also be available as downloads only in remixed & remastered 5.1 and Atmos versions.
Details on Cantaloupe's Bandcamp site:

https://johnlutheradams.bandcamp.com/album/the-become-trilogy
Thanks for pointing out this release. I like these pieces by John Luther Adams, bought the download and got the 5.1 files.

Thanks for pointing out this release. I like these pieces by John Luther Adams, bought the download and got the 5.1 files.
Happy to spread the word @mkt (and welcome to QQ!). I love JLA, Cantaloupe, and the Bang on a Can collective (whose member-composers founded the label), and I want to see them continue.

A couple of months ago, I was amazed to discover, after someone mentioned it casually here on QQ, a) that there was a surround version (DD and DTS 5.1) of American composer William Bolcom's settings of William Blake's Songs of Innocence and Experience (a Grammy-winning recording with Bolcom champion Leonard Slatkin conducting) and b) that it was still available cheaply, both new and used. (It was released on Naxos in 2005.)

This past week, I finally got around to giving it a more-than-casual audition, and I think it's superb. First of all, the music: if you like Charles Ives, or Bernstein's Mass, then this is for you. Yeah, it's orchestral, and yeah, it's choral (with mostly classically trained vocalists), but it's also got elements of jazz, rock (hard and soft), and even reggae. Parts of it are hummably melodic, parts jarringly dissonant. Expansive scope; broad musical palette; huge, multi-faceted ensemble (nearly 450 performers). Demanding listening, but worth it. Mix: even though it's a live recording, it was carefully mic'd with surround in mind. At times you'll think it's three channels across the fronts with big ambience in the rears. Other times--much of the time, actually--the rears are highly active and/or discrete. Highly recommended.

Review (of the piece, not the recording):
http://bq.blakearchive.org/21.4.disalvo
71qx4%2BAftXL._SL1254_.jpg

Last edited:
A couple of months ago, I was amazed to discover, after someone mentioned it casually here on QQ, a) that there was a surround version (DD and DTS 5.1) of American composer William Bolcom's settings of William Blake's Songs of Innocence and Experience (a Grammy-winning recording with Bolcom champion Leonard Slatkin conducting) and b) that it was still available cheaply, both new and used. (It was released on Naxos in 2005.)

This past week, I finally got around to giving it a more-than-casual audition, and I think it's superb. First of all, the music: if you like Charles Ives, or Bernstein's Mass, then this is for you. Yeah, it's orchestral, and yeah, it's choral (with mostly classically trained vocalists), but it's also got elements of jazz, rock (hard and soft), and even reggae. Parts of it are hummably melodic, parts jarringly dissonant. Expansive scope; broad musical palette; huge, multi-faceted ensemble (nearly 450 performers). Demanding listening, but worth it. Mix: even though it's a live recording, it was carefully mic'd with surround in mind. At times you'll think it's three channels across the fronts with big ambience in the rears. Other times--much of the time, actually--the rears are highly active and/or discrete. Highly recommended.

Review (of the piece, not the recording):
http://bq.blakearchive.org/21.4.disalvo
71qx4%2BAftXL._SL1254_.jpg
I need to check, but I'm pretty sure this is a DVD-A with lossless 24/48 audio? (I think it's 48 but haven't checked - I think most Naxos recordings were at that rate).

Back