SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They haven't given up because they never supported SACD.

Yes but you must act before 12/31 because Acoustic Sounds has announced they are ending their download operations.
Acoustic-Sounds.png

Aaaack! I always complained about their inflated prices, but I guess I'll shaddap now. (Here's the complete list of MCh download titles. At least the 93 albums on BIS will still be available at eClassical, but I guess that leaves 78 other titles without a home?)

I could've sworn that I had at least one SSM SACD in my collection, but I stand corrected. Maybe my addled brain was thinking of those John Luther Adams DVD-Vs on Cantaloupe.

And speaking of JLA: until Cantaloupe figures out some other distribution arrangement, I guess this is your last chance to get the Atmos versions of the Become trilogy.

Last edited:
Berio: Sinfonia.
I heard the NY Philharmonic perform this piece live and just hated it. I might have been in a bad place for it, with work being insane and finally making a concert for the first time in months, but it wasn't just boring or annoying, the bits of the Mahler scherzo thrown in the blender with bits of Becket nonsense was just a reminder of how good actual music could be, and how this barely felt like music to me.

YMMV

YMMV, indeed. It grabbed me immediately. It was as if the entire orchestra/singers were riffing but with a singular mind. Almost surreal. But, then again, I like Berio's stuff, especially his Schubert riffs (see elsewhere) :)

Baroque and Renaissance music in quad or surround? The masses and motets of Gabrielli and Preatorius would incredible in surround!

Last edited:
Likewise! And to all of QQ as well.
I have this recording “1615- Gabrieli in Venice” but it is from the initial release which was defective in that the RR channel of the mch DSD tracks is missing. This has been publicly acknowledged. My copy is from that original release, unfortunately.

Do any of you have a competent file copy of this that you are willing to share? I regard this as “fair use” since I do own the original (albeit defective) disc. Thanks.

SPECIAL OFFER
January Sale - Save 30% on Chandos Downloads! Offer Excludes 2021 Releases, and ends 29th January 12.00 GMT.
https://www.chandos.net/home
I picked up the Edward Gardner series of Walton recordings. Probably not really cheaper than SACDs from Presto ($18.05 vs. $15.75 + shipping).

In their weekly newsletter, Nonesuch Records marks the 35th anniversary of John Adams's Harmonielehre, which the San Francisco Symphony, under Edo de Waart, debuted 35 years ago today.

I can think of two surround recordings of that work: the landmark one by the SFS under Michael Tilson Thomas (fairly "big" ambience), the other by the Berlin Philharmonic under Adams himself (good performance, and well recorded, with standard live concert-hall ambience). I might just make time to listen to both!

1610733604174.png
1610733749934.png

Last edited:
Back