SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I won't go into the pros and cons of MQA encoding, let me just state that this 'miraculous' recording of piano VIRTUOSO Daniil Trifonov is SENSATIONAL and well worth your attention. The disc does state that with 'proper' MQA decoding, 88.2/24 bit resolution can be achieved. [DGG/2 UHQ~CDs/MQA encoded]

81JWhj75sAL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Readers of this thread aren't necessarily the target audience, but I so love Ethan Iverson--his music, his playing, and his writing--that I wanted to share the "primer" on Stravinsky that he was recently hired to write for Tidal. (It would be interesting to construct a surround playlist from the pieces he mentions. Any takers?)

https://tidal.com/magazine/article/tidal-primer-stravinsky/1-78102

Readers of this thread aren't necessarily the target audience, but I so love Ethan Iverson--his music, his playing, and his writing--that I wanted to share the "primer" on Stravinsky that he was recently hired to write for Tidal. (It would be interesting to construct a surround playlist from the pieces he mentions. Any takers?)

https://tidal.com/magazine/article/tidal-primer-stravinsky/1-78102
There's really not a lot beyond the ballets. 2L has a nice recording of the Symphonies for Wind Instruments, and also Apollon Musagète is on their Reflections disc in Atmos and Auro 9.1
Pentatone has a collection of his choral music: HRAudio.net - Stravinsky: Symphony of Psalms - Herreweghe
Pentatone also has a new release on 2 SACDs that seems to have a lot that isn't that available, along with the Rite: HRAudio.net - Stravinsky: Le Sacre du printemps - Gimeno
Chandos has the works for piano and orchestra: HRAudio.net - Stravinsky: Concertante music for piano & orchestra, Petrouchka - Bavouzet / Tortelier
Gergiev has also recorded a lot for SACD, including Les Noces and Oedipus: HRAudio.net - Stravinsky: Oedipus Rex, Les Noces - Gergiev

There's really not a lot beyond the ballets. 2L has a nice recording of the Symphonies for Wind Instruments, and also Apollon Musagète is on their Reflections disc in Atmos and Auro 9.1
Pentatone has a collection of his choral music: HRAudio.net - Stravinsky: Symphony of Psalms - Herreweghe
Pentatone also has a new release on 2 SACDs that seems to have a lot that isn't that available, along with the Rite: HRAudio.net - Stravinsky: Le Sacre du printemps - Gimeno
Chandos has the works for piano and orchestra: HRAudio.net - Stravinsky: Concertante music for piano & orchestra, Petrouchka - Bavouzet / Tortelier
Gergiev has also recorded a lot for SACD, including Les Noces and Oedipus: HRAudio.net - Stravinsky: Oedipus Rex, Les Noces - Gergiev

Wow--lots of stuff there I wasn't aware of.

Of course the recent Dutton program also has the Symphonies of Winds (and the Scherzo Fantastique, in addition to the Pulcinella Suite). Beyond that, I can add: two volumes of music for violin with Ilya Gringolts, on BIS. And there's a very nice Persephone on Pentatone, conducted by Esa-Pekka Salonen. Not to mention Pentatone's reissue of Roi des Etoiles (paired with the Sacre), performed by the Boston Symphony under MTT.

Last edited:
I've no idea whether this piece by Ravel is available in multichannel but, you know, I'm not sure I if really care as it's simply sublime as it is - even as it sounds on lossy YouTube. Enjoy :)

Simply GLORIOUS, Derek. Thanks for sharing!

HRAudio.net only lists this LAWO Classics Multi~CH SACD [Mozart] featuring harpist Birgitte Volan Havik with the Oslo Philharmonic

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=10582

Last edited:
I've no idea whether this piece by Ravel is available in multichannel but, you know, I'm not sure I if really care as it's simply sublime as it is - even as it sounds on lossy YouTube. Enjoy :)
Sure it is. Lovely performance which kicks off this excellent disc by the Boston Symphony Chamber Players.
7591.jpg

HRAudio.net only lists this LAWO Classics Multi~CH SACD [Mozart] featuring harpist Birgitte Volan Havik with the Oslo Philharmonic
That's Mozart, not Ravel. Nice anyway.

Sure it is. Lovely performance which kicks off this excellent disc by the Boston Symphony Chamber Players.
7591.jpg

That's Mozart, not Ravel. Nice anyway.

Well this is embarrassing... I've owned a copy of that one for years and years and although I've played it quite a few times, I forgot the Ravel piece was on it until you posted that pic - too many albums and not enough memory lol. Doh!

As you say, it's an excellent disc and a keeper for sure :)

Well this is embarrassing... I've owned a copy of that one for years and years and although I've played it quite a few times, I forgot the Ravel piece was on it until you posted that pic - too many albums and not enough memory lol. Doh!
As you say, it's an excellent disc and a keeper for sure :)
If you like that, let me suggest this:
710TyxLEBUL__SL1400_.jpg

If you like that, let me suggest this:
710TyxLEBUL__SL1400_.jpg
I like conditional recommendations. I am always on the lookout for surround chamber works, which sometimes seem to get short shrift.
The flac download is available on the Audite for a reasonable price.

I like conditional recommendations. I am always on the lookout for surround chamber works, which sometimes seem to get short shrift.
The flac download is available on the Audite for a reasonable price.

And after they deduct VAT for non-EU residents, it's even more reasonable. Audite has some wonderful chamber music recordings.

Reactions: mkt
BSO Classics is one of those labels that flew under the radar a bit too much. Not that prolific but pretty much everything was great - in particular probably the best digital German Requiem and complete Daphnis & Chloe on SACD.

Yes, ubertrout, a gorgeous rendition but my NEW favorite is Dutton Epoch's Pierre Boulez version in absolutely sumptious discrete sonics

517LrzoGZRL.jpg

Can I get a review / recc. for this title please- Thanks!

Robert Schumann - Concerto (Concertstück) & Alfredo Piatti - Concertino / Concerto No. 2
[SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLX7371

From the D~V website, JP

“... the first recordings of the soloist's new edition of ... Schumann's A minor Cello Concerto ... Concertstück. Knight plays with rapturous expression and the recorded sound is vivid. Piatti's Concertino is very worthwhile.” Paul Driver, The Sunday Times' Culture supplement, 19 April 2020

In MY experience, all of the 'original' Dutton Epoch recorded multi~CH SACDs contain ambient rears but the discs I do have are SUPERB, both performance wise and are vividly recorded.

Back