SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just reviewing my Vinyl LP collection for some sales, and discovered a 5 LP boxed set of
Rienzi,
Richard Wagner, Staatskapelle Dresden, Heinrich Hollreiser that is designated as SQ !!!

Any comments on the SQ sound? My set is the EMI International World Record Club pressing, almost mint, probably only played completely twice, with a Shure V15 IV.

Last edited:
Just reviewing my Vinyl LP collection for some sales, and discovered a 5 LP boxed set of
Rienzi,
Richard Wagner, Staatskapelle Dresden, Heinrich Hollreiser that is designated as SQ !!!

Any comments on the SQ sound? My set is the EMI International World Record Club pressing, almost mint, probably only played completely twice, with a Shure V15 IV.

Thanks, you've just reminded me that I got a copy of the UK release of this set a couple of years ago- but it's still in the 'yet to audition' pile somewhere (!) so can't comment on the sound unfortunately. I must dig it out....
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ed-to-your-pile-sq-qs-rm-ev.14936/post-387994

I came across this wonderful Stereo SACD quite by mistake. It wasn't even advertised as an SACD so for $4.72 [brand new/shrink wrapped] + s/h, it arrived today. Music for Saxophone and Organ is quite rare in the classical repertoire but the beauty of the music in tandem with Lawo's superb recording is undeniable.

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=9252#reviews
eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcmVzdG8tY292ZXItaW1hZ2VzIiwia2V5IjoiODA0MDc1OC4xLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjp7InJlc2l6ZSI6eyJ3aWR0aCI6OTAwfSwianBlZyI6eyJxdWFsaXR5Ijo2NX0sInRvRm9ybWF0IjoianBlZyJ9LCJ0aW1lc3RhbXAiOjE1NDY0NjgyMTV9

Sono Luminus' latest Pure Audio BD~A disc with 5.1/Auro 3D/Dolby Atmos

MOONBOW is Gunnar Andreas Kristinssons second album, the first to be released on a major label. The music, performed by leading members of the Icelandic contemporary music scene, was recorded in Kaldalo´n and Norðurljo´s, the two recital halls of Harpa Reykjavik Concert Hall. While Gunnars first album, Patterns, contains pieces from his study and freelance years in The Hague, MOONBOW is a selection of more mature works from a fruitful period in the composers life after moving back to Iceland in 2009, with all the experience from the Netherlands in his pocket. The album features a trio, a quartet and a quintet, flanked by two larger ensemble pieces. The works are diverse, not only in terms of instrumentation but also in terms of musical subject and give a good insight into Gunnars distinctive and personal sound-world.

71AW14l6lwL._SL1200_.jpg
81hY%2BAJ-9FL._SL1500_.jpg

Sono Luminus' latest Pure Audio BD~A disc with 5.1/Auro 3D/Dolby Atmos

MOONBOW is Gunnar Andreas Kristinssons second album, the first to be released on a major label. The music, performed by leading members of the Icelandic contemporary music scene, was recorded in Kaldalo´n and Norðurljo´s, the two recital halls of Harpa Reykjavik Concert Hall. While Gunnars first album, Patterns, contains pieces from his study and freelance years in The Hague, MOONBOW is a selection of more mature works from a fruitful period in the composers life after moving back to Iceland in 2009, with all the experience from the Netherlands in his pocket. The album features a trio, a quartet and a quintet, flanked by two larger ensemble pieces. The works are diverse, not only in terms of instrumentation but also in terms of musical subject and give a good insight into Gunnars distinctive and personal sound-world.

71AW14l6lwL._SL1200_.jpg
81hY%2BAJ-9FL._SL1500_.jpg

Arrived today. Looking forward to a listen.

Lovely interpretations of Russian composer Anton Rubinstein's complete works for cello and piano [Praga Digital/2 STEREO SACDS]

The germanic intelligentsia told him he was "too much Russian"; Glinka's "small gang", in fact the famous Fives Group, demanding the return to basics of true Russian music, thought he was too much westernized.... Against those quite conflicting opinions Anton RUBINSTEIN had a great triple professional career : pianist (Liszt's fame only was greater as his own), composer (his lyric works are now rediscovered, such as Der Dämon, adapted from Lermontov and recently directed by Valery Gergiev) and teacher (he was both the pathfinder in symphonic art for composers from Borodin to Tchaikovsky and the founder of the famous piano Russian School with Rachmaninov and Scriabin)...This new record gathers for the first time the whole of the works originally composed for piano and cello, written in his early days (1851-57) with Hummel and Mendelssohn as models.

Cello Son.Opp.18 & 39 / Pieces Op.1

Last edited:
Back