SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Free to a good home: the DVD version of the "Rite of Spring" episode of Keeping Score, the educational series featuring Michael Tilson Thomas and the San Francisco Symphony. In addition to the documentary, the disc includes a full live performance of the Rite, along with the Firebird Suite, in high-def widescreen video and 5.1 surround. I have the Blu-Ray version and like it; the surround mix is better-than-average concert-hall ambient. Not as good as some of the earlier episodes, which were mixed by Mark Waldrep, but still good. Found the DVD in a "free" box leftover from someone's yard sale and had to rescue it from oblivion. PM if interested.
https://www.keepingscore.org/category/keeping-score-tags/rite-spring

Last edited:
Kirk Bayne posted the following article from pspatialaudio about a 1970 recording of Mahler's 3d, conducted by an elderly Jascha Horenstein, on another thread this morning.

http://www.pspatialaudio.com/horenstein.htm
Has anyone ever heard this (or seen it in the wild)? As I said in my original reply: I don't agree with the writer's opinion that placing the listener in the center of the orchestra produces a "silly" effect, and/or that "confining the rear channels to hall ambience" is to be preferred. But this historically significant and, by all accounts, exceptionally high-fidelity early quad recording would be great to hear.

Kirk Bayne posted the following article from pspatialaudio about a 1970 recording of Mahler's 3d, conducted by an elderly Jascha Horenstein, on another thread this morning.

Has anyone ever heard this (or seen it in the wild)? As I said in my original reply: I don't agree with the writer's opinion that placing the listener in the center of the orchestra produces a "silly" effect, and/or that "confining the rear channels to hall ambience" is to be preferred. But this historically significant and, by all accounts, exceptionally high-fidelity early quad recording would be great to hear.
Downloaded the sample to listen later - such a shame about the rights issues. Unicorn-Kachana owns the rights to this and previously took down the HDTT version. Wonder if they could clear it if they talked to them.

Downloaded the sample to listen later - such a shame about the rights issues. Unicorn-Kachana owns the rights to this and previously took down the HDTT version. Wonder if they could clear it if they talked to them.

Interesting. I assume the HDTT version was a stereo transfer, then? (Otherwise, I guess, PSpatial Audio wouldn't be going to all the bother to rescue the CD4....)

Interesting. I assume the HDTT version was a stereo transfer, then? (Otherwise, I guess, PSpatial Audio wouldn't be going to all the bother to rescue the CD4....)
Yup, it was. Looks like there were a few classical quad releases though: Quadraphonic Discography "Classical Recordings - Complete List"

I know we mention D/V all the time, but I suspect they might know the rightsholders of the Unicorn-Kanchana catalog. Given that it's a small independent British label it could well be doable if the tapes are available.

Yup, it was. Looks like there were a few classical quad releases though: Quadraphonic Discography "Classical Recordings - Complete List"

I know we mention D/V all the time, but I suspect they might know the rightsholders of the Unicorn-Kanchana catalog. Given that it's a small independent British label it could well be doable if the tapes are available.

It looks like Treasure Island Music are managing the rights, with Heritage Records being granted an exclusive license to issue CDs from the Unicorn-Kanchana catalog. (Downloads available from Chandos, however.)

I can see where an SACD reissue by D-V that included the stereo mix might run afoul of U-K's agreement with Heritage. But what if a FLAC 4.0 download of Pspatial Audio's "restoration" from CD4 were sold on a platform like Immersive Audio Album? Just thinking out loud, @sjcorne...

Just got to listen today. Sounds really nice and the surround mix gives it much more body. I'd love to hear it in a proper tape transfer, but I'm not as gung-ho about listening to a needledrop with the crackles. We have a real murderer's row for the Mahler 3rd already; better just to go to Fischer (or Chailly or Boulez): HRAudio.net - Recordings (or the Bernstein which sounds fabulous in a fresh mix from Sony).

Just got to listen today. Sounds really nice and the surround mix gives it much more body. I'd love to hear it in a proper tape transfer, but I'm not as gung-ho about listening to a needledrop with the crackles. We have a real murderer's row for the Mahler 3rd already; better just to go to Fischer (or Chailly or Boulez): HRAudio.net - Recordings (or the Bernstein which sounds fabulous in a fresh mix from Sony).

Yes: Fischer is my go-to for the 3d, and while Bernstein was my first experience with Mahler (and consequently my point of reference in many ways), the artificial reverb that Sony Japan added to those 3-channel stereo recordings doesn't do much for me, surround-wise.

But I'm always learning something new here: I had no idea of those Chailly and Boulez recordings in surround. Now I want to hear them all! (Including the Horenstein.)

Yes: Fischer is my go-to for the 3d, and while Bernstein was my first experience with Mahler (and consequently my point of reference in many ways), the artificial reverb that Sony Japan added to those 3-channel stereo recordings doesn't do much for me, surround-wise.

But I'm always learning something new here: I had no idea of those Chailly and Boulez recordings in surround. Now I want to hear them all! (Including the Horenstein.)
The Chailly especially is excellent, and not too expensive used. From his cycle 2 and 8 are on DVD-Audio, and 3 and 9 are on SACD. The 4th and Das Lied from Boulez are also on SACD. The whole thing was a bit haphazard.

The Chailly especially is excellent, and not too expensive used. From his cycle 2 and 8 are on DVD-Audio, and 3 and 9 are on SACD. The 4th and Das Lied from Boulez are also on SACD. The whole thing was a bit haphazard.

A postscript: last night I discovered that D-G has actually upmixed the Boulez to Atmos for Tidal and Apple Music.

Last edited:
https://sheffieldlab.com/item.php?item_id=45^^^
While not classical music, this CD from a needledrop has (IMHO) excellent sound quality.

https://www.discogs.com/Virgil-Fox-...r-Vierne-Alain-Gigout-Jongen/release/16643607^^^
A needledrop CD from 1990, the sound quality is pretty good.

I sent an email earlier today to Richard Brice of Pspatial Audio asking is there was some way to help resolve the rights issues and release the Mahler CD-4 content on Blu-ray and/or streaming.

Kirk Bayne

I used to have the direct-to-disc LPs from which this CD was compiled. They were real demo discs--and good for testing your woofers!
https://www.discogs.com/Virgil-Fox-The-Fox-Touch-Volume-One/release/2356270https://www.discogs.com/Virgil-Fox-The-Fox-Touch-Volume-Two/release/2660313
Here's a brochure from the record label, "Crystal Clear":
http://www.cieri.net/Documenti/Dischi/Crystal Clear - Direct to Disc Recordings (1980).pdf
There was another CD transfer of this, apparently--perhaps more than one?
https://www.amazon.com/Virgil-Fox-Digital-II/dp/B000FJOET4
I've also been in touch with Richard Brice--who I see has posted extensively to QQ about his Stereo Lab demod software in the past. (I hope he doesn't feel like we're double-teaming him!)

Last edited:
https://www.discogs.com/Arthur-Fied...o-Italien-Capriccio-Espagnol/release/13094859
The other needledrop sourced CD I bought (at the time, I thought is was quite clever to do this to make Direct Cut LP content available on CDs).

The actual CD has the same statement as the Virgil Fox CD about being mastered from the original master lacquer, but I see discogs doesn't include it.

I plan to send a request to Sheffield Lab to ask them to make needledrops of all their Direct Cut LPs for CD/(and maybe Blu-ray TrueHD) release.

Kirk Bayne

Received a reply from Richard Brice today:

"I spoke again with Misha Horenstein (the conductor's nephew). He has been trying to get the rights for this recording for years. He tells me there is no change."

Maybe try contacting the record company that has the rights to the stereo version, alert them to the availability of a surround sound version and get them involved in the rights clearances.

Kirk Bayne

Received a reply from Richard Brice today:

"I spoke again with Misha Horenstein (the conductor's nephew). He has been trying to get the rights for this recording for years. He tells me there is no change."

Maybe try contacting the record company that has the rights to the stereo version, alert them to the availability of a surround sound version and get them involved in the rights clearances.

Kirk Bayne

Yes: as @ubertrout suggests, the world of independent specialty classical record labels in the UK must be rather small, so perhaps Dutton could work out a deal with Heritage (who currently control the Unicorn catalog), with the help of Treasure Island Music, who manage the rights. It seems as though the masters are well and truly AWOL in Japan, but judging by the sample, I think that with some additional noise reduction, Richard's excellent software demod could be good enough for a commercial release.

Last edited:
Given my ethical and economic qualms about streaming, I'm not going to encourage anyone to take the plunge. But after hearing so many people rave about Atmos on Apple Music, I couldn't help myself: I found a cheap(er) Apple TV 4K on eBay and started a trial subscription. And even though I'm a longtime Apple hater, I have to say I'm coming around--not least because, in the past few weeks, they've really been stepping up their classical game. Lots of stuff appearing that's not available on disc or download--much of it from Deutsche Grammophon, whose recent mixes I'm finding considerably more aggressive than the tame ones they first introduced on Tidal earlier this year (and about which I've done more than my fair share of kvetching). Here are some of the more notable titles I've added to my library.

Deutsche Grammophon/Decca:
  • Andrew Norman, Sustain (LA Phil/Dudamel)
  • Charles Ives, Complete Symphonies (LA Phil/Dudamel)
  • Johann Johannsson, Orphee
  • John Adams, The Gospel According to the Other Mary
  • John Adams, Must the Devil Have All the Good Tunes?
  • Konstantin Reymaier, The New Organ at St. Stephen's Cathedral, Vienna
  • Mahler, Symphony No. 3 (Vienna/Boulez)
  • Mahler, Symphony No. 8 (LA Phil/Dudamel)
  • Mahler, Das Lied von der Erde (Shanghai/Long Yu)
  • Nadine Sierra, There's a Place For Us
  • Stile Antico, The Golden Renaissance: Josquin Des Prez
  • Vikingur Olafsson, Johann Sebastian Bach
  • Vikingur Olafsson, Mozart & Contemporaries
Warner Classics:
  • Mahler, Symphony No. 2 (Berlin/Rattle)
  • Schubert, String Quartets (Alban Berg Quartet)
  • The Immersive Experience (sampler; London Phil/Gernon)
Indie Labels:
  • Caroline Shaw/So Percussion, Let the Soil Play Its Simple Part
  • John Luther Adams, Lines Made By Walking (JACK Quartet)
  • John Luther Adams, The Become Trilogy
  • Malva Quartet, Wooden Bodies
  • Stale Kleiberg, Concertos
  • Trio Mediaeval, Solacium

This was a David Hurwitz recommendation, and I really like it - the 1st especially. Stereo-only, it's available in 24/96 but I'm just streaming it.
81wdNMHISlL._SS500_.jpg

Last edited:
Back