SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just "discovered" Vaughan Williams' "The Lark Ascending" via Iona Brown (RIP) which I have on an Angel XDR cassette which I have to transplant to a new shell cause it's one of those that keeps stopping on my deck because there's too much tension. The cassette is nowhere to be found on Discogs...
So I kept looking and found Iona's wiki page and what she said about performing "The Lark Ascending"... I found the 1976 recording on utoob and it's sublime...
I found that there is no Quad version but I did find a version by Hilary Hahn on MCH SACD but my educated guess is that it's probably an "Audience" mix cause it's a Deutsche Grammofon disc.

Can anyone confirm this? cause if it's an "Audience" mix I'd rather get Iona's version with Sir Neville Marriner...
IDK, but I've got this one, need to refresh my memory, but always liked "The Lark Ascending"

https://www.discogs.com/release/152...ic-Orchestra-Ralph-Vaughan-Williams-The-Wasps

I just "discovered" Vaughan Williams' "The Lark Ascending" via Iona Brown (RIP) which I have on an Angel XDR cassette which I have to transplant to a new shell cause it's one of those that keeps stopping on my deck because there's too much tension. The cassette is nowhere to be found on Discogs...
So I kept looking and found Iona's wiki page and what she said about performing "The Lark Ascending"... I found the 1976 recording on utoob and it's sublime...
I found that there is no Quad version but I did find a version by Hilary Hahn on MCH SACD but my educated guess is that it's probably an "Audience" mix cause it's a Deutsche Grammofon disc.

Can anyone confirm this? cause if it's an "Audience" mix I'd rather get Iona's version with Sir Neville Marriner...
This disc has it and it's fantastic. Still not a super active mix but I think you'll really enjoy it...
81WI8bEZpWL._SL500_.jpg

Yes, KAP, that Hilary Hahn LARK ASCENDING is indeed ambient but her performance is no less illustrious! Buy with confidence. And that Iona Brown performance is CLASSIC. A gorgeous sublime piece of music!

51CwisSTxYL.jpg

Last edited:
I don't recall the mix being anything mind blowing; but that's why I said, I need to refresh my memory.

99% of ALL classical multichannel SACD/DVD~A titles contain ambient rears........the other 1% are those D~Epoch titles remastered from the RCA/Columbia classical catalogues mixed for discrete QUAD in the early to mid 70's!

Yeah, plenty of low end on my system. The cannon shots at the end of 1812 are sort of buried, though--not quite the "sound spectacular" I was expecting.
Hmmm. I will go back and try that. I usually avoid the 1812 and similar. What I hear on most of the ATMOS albums on Apple is lots of good mid-bass but the bottom end is soft and muffled. Perhaps that's what you heard.

BTW, has anyone heard the new DGG release of Hilary Hahn PARIS

91b0nVIlW6L._SL1500_.jpg
I listened to the Rautavaara pieces and liked them. Going to listen to the rest on Spotify following your reminder. I have no doubt of HH in the Prokofiev, curious to hear the Chausson.
But first this reminded me to watch her playing violin while hula hooping:

I listened to the Rautavaara pieces and liked them. Going to listen to the rest on Spotify following your reminder. I have no doubt of HH in the Prokofiev, curious to hear the Chausson.
But first this reminded me to watch her playing violin while hula hooping:

The HOOPS you have to go through, ubertrout, to achieve Classical SUPERSTARDOM!

99% of ALL classical multichannel SACD/DVD~A titles contain ambient rears........the other 1% are those D~Epoch titles remastered from the RCA/Columbia classical catalogues mixed for discrete QUAD in the early to mid 70's!
Hmmm... not that much... I'd say 90% ...the AIX and the Pentatone and a few others are not TOTALLY audience, some Debussy ones (SFS, BIS, LSO Live) are not AIX type but not that bad IIRC

Hmmm... not that much... I'd say 90% ...the AIX and the Pentatone and a few others are not TOTALLY audience, some Debussy ones (SFS, BIS, LSO Live) are not AIX type but not that bad IIRC

The few DVD~A 5.1 Classical discs AIX released, YES, Kap but as far as BIS, Pentatone and the LSO.....unless you have a horn/string section residing in your rear speakers {?} mostly ambient. BIS did have some 'rear action' when they released their Pines of Rome Mch SACD a few years ago but very sparse!

And of ALL Pentatone's RQR Philips/DGG reissues, only 3 or four had discrete elements [Treemonisha/Carmen]. The rest....ambience only but IMO, that's NOT a bad thing as on full range speakers, the results can be VERY satisfying. And Yes, a couple of Naxos' BD~As did have discrete elements, as well, but for the most part I preferred listening to those BD~As in stereo through Dolby Pro Logic as the rears were for the most part INAUDIBLE!

I thought that I would try out "In Motu" from
https://trptk.comUnfortunately they happily took my money, didn't provide a working download link, or respond to email.
I asked my CC for a refund. Caveat emptor.

I thought that I would try out "In Motu" from
https://trptk.comUnfortunately they happily took my money, didn't provide a working download link, or respond to email.
I asked my CC for a refund. Caveat emptor.

Yikes. Looks like the last blog post on their web page was in August 2020, but they posted to Facebook yesterday, so they're clearly still operating. (Not that you should have to, but have you tried phoning or posting/DM'ing them on their Facebook page?)

Yikes. Looks like the last blog post on their web page was in August 2020, but they posted to Facebook yesterday, so they're clearly still operating. (Not that you should have to, but have you tried phoning or posting/DM'ing them on their Facebook page?)
That's a good idea. Can I admit that I'm not on FB? I've already been credited with the refund, and there are plenty of easier ways to spend my money.

Back