SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gramophone editors' choices for November:
https://www.gramophone.co.uk/features/article/gramophone-editor-s-choice-november-2021
At least three of the audio-only releases (that I know of) have surround mixes, either on optical disc or streaming on Apple Music: the Florence Price, the Kanneh-Masons, and the Pärt Passio. The DVD/Blu-Ray of the Met's production of Glass's Akhnaten, which I thought was spectacular when I saw it in the theater, has a (nominally) 5.1 Dolby Digital soundtrack.

Gramophone editors' choices for November:
https://www.gramophone.co.uk/features/article/gramophone-editor-s-choice-november-2021
At least three of the audio-only releases (that I know of) have surround mixes, either on optical disc or streaming on Apple Music: the Florence Price, the Kanneh-Masons, and the Pärt Passio. The DVD/Blu-Ray of the Met's production of Glass's Akhnaten, which I thought was spectacular when I saw it in the theater, has a (nominally) 5.1 Dolby Digital soundtrack.
Also the Zimmermann but the files have some artifacts that I am waiting for them to fix.

mbid-2b46ab6b-1db1-3f98-9307-a2b9645a18bf-16517781603.jpg

Quite disappointed by this one actually. The mastering job is fantastic and the MCH version is pretty good, but the performance is just...not really good.

Or at least not what I'm looking for. Kind of a shame. Previn DVD-A and BIS Litton Planets up next.

R-8164529-1460335926-4002.jpeg.jpg

This one (DVDA) is quite good - there's audible tape hiss and the MCH mix isn't TERRIBLY discrete but it opens things up, overall this sounds exceptional.

Next up are the Bernstein and BIS releases.

Last edited:
Glen Gould was fascinated by recording technology, and apparently experimented with Quadraphonic recording. Do any such recordings exist?

Glen Gould was fascinated by recording technology, and apparently experimented with Quadraphonic recording. Do any such recordings exist?
Sony released an interesting set called the "Acoustic Orchestrations" that included a CD-ROM with four different perspectives on the recording session of the Prokofiev 5th Piano Sonata, which can be arranged in quad.
71gLGsoWqNL._SL500_.jpg

I noticed that many of the Sono Luminous non-surround release booklets (e.g., ENIGMA — Sono Luminus | Recording Studio & Record Label) indicate that they were recorded in surround. So, I asked whether the surround version was available and whether their releases would be appearing in Dolby Atmos in Apple Music.
Unfortunately, no, “Enigma” is not available yet in a surround version. We are hoping to release that next year. And yes, there are plans with Apple Music for our music to be released in Dobly Atmos.
Good news!

Back